Author Topic: Who has the messyest shop/garage????  (Read 35939 times)

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
Who has the messyest shop/garage????
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
I think i'm in with a chance of lifting the title :ddb:

The clarke's wood lathe has gone now..

As can be seen there's not much floorspace :(

The lathe does occasionally get a brush down ::)

So, Any competition??? :ddb:

Cheers, John :beer:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Who has the messyest shop/garage????
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
This is a bit that I added to my shop a few years ago.

And this is what the main shop looked like

But Uncle Bogs and Bandit soon had it under control.

And the main shop looks a lot better now

And the secret is------

Biting the bullet and getting rid of everything you are never going to use again, even though in the back of your mind you think you will.

I hoarded for years, but at some time, you have to let go.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »

I think i'm in with a chance of lifting the title :ddb:

You're certainly in with a chance... there's patches of mine that look like yours, but - as Divided He ad will attest, you can see some bits of floor in my place!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
Well I posted on my workshop/garage and came under lots of flack for having cables and bits laid on the floor..

So I think I'm the champ..photos are elsewhere on here..

I did have a clean up, but as usual things get out of hand when you have a three femalse in the house and all think it is a dumping ground..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
I remember a post a year or two back.  Might have been here, might have been over at HMEM.  Anyway, chap showed a garage packed full.  Claimed there was actually a car burried in the mess, but I couldn't see it.

More space usually just means lots more junk accumulated.  If you're short on space to begin with, you tend to ignore the stuff calling your name to be brought home.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
Hi

This old Toyota estate was in there for 18 years but there was more room then than now with the li'l midget in!!

Reason is that all the stuff that is all over now was stored inside the old Crown custom estate!!!

The garage is 25' long, another 10' on the end would be great, i thought about erecting a car port on the front of the garage to keep the midget under with a large sheet over would be OK but we live at the top of a high hill in Sheffield and the wind gets really strong, the car port would probably get airborn !!!

Cheers, John :beer:

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
Hi
John
I think you are in with a good chance  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Regards
John

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:16:19 AM »
Organization/Chaos is a metastable condition.  Chaos wins in the end (that's the third law of thermodynamics).  After the last set of four sequential projects (without time between to attempt to fight chaos) I filled three 50 gallon bins with chips -- and another two with other dross.  That's in 880 sq ft.  You know it's bad when it takes you longer to find your tools than to do the work...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:10:11 AM »
JohnBaz - when I first saw the topic title I thought I might win, but then I saw your photos and no, hands down, you win this one!!

I hoarded for years, but at some time, you have to let go.

It is a nice feeling when you hoard something for years and then the days comes when you use it. BUT, quite rightly as you said, for the very very odd time it happens, I nearly always find I can ebay what I need when it comes to it. I`ve been slowly getting rid of some of my rubish and feeling much better for it. I think therapy would have helped....once you`ve taken the first few steps it is easy, it is just getting there  :med:

tumutbound

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 04:29:54 AM »
I'm planning a move from a place I've lived for 22 years. As you can imagine, I've acquired quite a lot of useful 'stuff' in that time.
As I'll be doing the move by myself and it's a long distance move,  meaning a one off trip, I've taken to wandering around the house looking for 'stuff' I don't use or don't need with a view to putting it to one side for disposal.
So far, the disposal pile is very, very small.

Fortunately, nothing in the workshop has fallen into either the 'don't need' or the 'don't use' category.  :scratch:

Offline BK

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:38:33 AM »
I wouldn't qualify for this catogary, if I don't put things back where they belong after I've used them, I cannot remember where they are, it's called "Oldtimers"  :D
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
What is it with the female of the species?

Why does 'garage' = 'dump'?
I have got a 16' by 18' garage that is for motorised vehicles, ie. motorcycles.
The fridgefreezer 'has' to live in there and I get crap when starting an engine because 'it will taint the food'!
??????  :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
It's a garage!
I now can't get in there because all the stuff for the bonfire/dump is heaped on the floor wherever she can reach conveniently...just inside the door and spreading. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Would she actually light a bonfire? Answers on a postcard please. :scratch:

I then get an earbashing because the garage is untidy and she can't get any more crap in there.

I have to get rid of garage stuff to make room for her dump stuff! :bang: :bang: :bang:
Then I get another earful because she can't find tools that she needs! She forgot that I set her up with a set of household tools that she would need in a drawer in the house (hammer, screwdriver with different size bits, pliers)...'how was she supposed to know?' :bang: :bang: :bang:

I submit that my garage is the worst but I am not posting pics as she will realise that I won't clear it so that she can have more room to fill it up again!!!! :lol: :lol:

Fortunately she keeps out of the machine shop! :D

Sorry, rant over :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »
I was nearly crying when I started to do my clearout, some of that stuff had been with me for over 30 years (and still not used).

But a lot of people benefitted from my 'castoffs', so I didn't feel too bad when I knew it was going to a good cause, one Model boat club raised loadsa squids for club funds by selling off cheaply hundreds of DC motors I had given them. I kept a few back for myself, but have still to use any, and beginning model engineers got a few unexpected treats as well, like, there it all is, take what you want, otherwise it goes in the bin.

So get in there, dig the stuff out, and get rid. Not only will you gain space, you will also find that a heavy weight has been lifted off your shoulders, and you might be able to help someone in the process.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »
Mine would probably rival that at the moment.... But it's so small it'll only take half an hour to get it looking near to ship shape  :)

Ade certainly could be in the top ten too. The machine workshop kind of floats in the middle of the big workshop, does that make sense? I said last week, IMHO it needs walls!  (the big workshop.... it's huge and filled with a little bit of everything!)

I think there should be some scientific law that transposes to workshops and free/unused space and it's ability to attract all manner of cr@p?  :smart:  :scratch:

people benefited from my 'castoffs',
   :wave:  That'll include me  :thumbup:
I saw much of the transition of Johns workshop and did indeed benefit greatly from it. (not to mention the huge amount of questions answered I still benefit from  :) )
The press I tried to use to make brass spheres for a start, although that has since been returned to be given to another beneficiary as I couldn't achieve my goal with it. 
There is no point in having many tools just for the sake of it, if you don't/can't use it pass it to someone who can. A lesson I will always carry with me  :med:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
In an effort to try to picture what my workshop looks like, here is approximately 1/10th of it...:

There's probably another 3/10ths which are just as bad as that, just not used as much... the rest is covered with cars or the bus...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »

My wife is the hoarder in  the house but she knows if she puts ANYTHING in MY garage it goes to the dump.  Got my ear bent a couple of times but she no longer puts things in the garage.  :) :) :)

Ron

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »
Thinking about it, my workshop isn't too tidy either...

Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »
OOH Sir, me Sir. Waving hand in the air trying to attract the attention of teacher.

Any candidate for the position who can see any of their floor should be disqualified.

I would post piccies but that would remove any small credibility that I might have.
It's not that I have too much stuff but it's that I have too small a garage, same with the house but that's another story. It used not to matter when the memory was good, I could remember where things where, but now I will have to be tidier. I can't believe I actually wrote that I must be going senile, in which I don't suppose it will matter any more. :doh:
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
This is embarrassing, I couldn't find a picture of my garage looking messy

:offtopic: so sorry here's one of it in it's usual state
Bill

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »

:offtopic: so sorry here's one of it in it's usual state

You should be ashamed having a shop like that discusting    :lol:  :lol:

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »

You should be ashamed having a shop like that discusting    :lol:  :lol:

peter

No kidding right?

What motorcycle is that?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
You should be ashamed having a shop like that discusting   

Sorry Peter, I will throw a bucket of swarf over the floor as soon as I stop typing :LOL:

What motorcycle is that?

Ducati 851 Strada  '89 monoposto
Bill

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
WOW!!! Bill, that really is tidy :bow:

My trouble is that i'm a hoarder, i also go to the carboot sales and come home with all sorts :scratch:

The garage is 25'x10' but i have the little car in there and all sorts of other stuff- i started to get rid of some gear, i sold the clarkes wood lathe that's on the bench, i've also gotten rid of two bandsaws leaving me with two though i still have four benchdrills in there, another wood lathe (record), various linishers, in fact to much stuff to mention :bang:..
As i said earlier, i could do with attaching a car port to the front of the garage for the midget to go under which would leave me room to lay the stuff out better...
Here's how the garage was when i cleared it a little when the old estate toyota went...

John :beer:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »

What a sorry sight Bill,  have you taken a look at the tumbled over plastic bottle on the shelf to the left of the picture? :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Jonny

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
Really lads you will have to try a damned site harder, not entirely a hoarder the stuff does get used but lack of space.

Its a bit too shocking or should i say embarrassing, though i do like a cleanish floor it annoys me to trample on swarf. It does get flung on to the racks especially when using the Ceratizit cutter, phew have to wear protective clothing.
Rather embarrassing again i took over the dining room temp of course, that was years ago. Shed coming on for that now.
In winter when doing woodwork, i leave the saw dust down, it stops the cold coming through and warms up quicker.
Worst of all after 10 mins work the swarf gets thrown by the door, 50 mins i can fill a wheelie bin! Have to stretch to get over it -bin man only comes every two weeks. Funny one last week gas meter reader wouldnt take no for an answer, said you cant get in, full stretch over high alum swarf your an engineer ive seen some things in my time.

New lathe coming Thursday the only way i can get four in is to shift some stuff outside. Will start gutting it tomorrow its gonna take that long to do just a 1/4.