Author Topic: Who has the messyest shop/garage????  (Read 35941 times)

tumutbound

Re: Who has the messyest shop/garage????
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
Not sure if this really qualifies as a shed given that it isn't big enough for any real tools.
I want to sell the bike but need to exterminate the spiders before I'm game to touch it.

The real shed is a room indoors and is embarrassingly tidy - compared to some others here.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:00:10 AM by tumutbound »

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:36 AM »
need to exterminate the spiders before I'm game to touch it

I was gonna call you a wimp, but then I realised you're in Australia, where the spiders fight back  :hammer:  :D

What's the bike? (looks '70s, bigger than 500 and European, rear subframe could be Triumph???  - I like the clip-ons and quarter faring  :thumbup:)

Bill
Bill

tumutbound

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »
I was a bit concerned about the spiders. Last time I looked there were a lot of Redbacks in residence. These are dangerous, the bites (so I'm told) are very painful but unlikely to be fatal except perhaps to small children. Even then, there's a readily available anti-venom.
A closer look today while getting the mower out shows that daddy longlegs have taken up residence. These are completely harmless to humans but  hunt and kill redbacks. I moved a few boxes around but not a redback to be seen.

The bike is a Rickman CB750 Honda.

MrFluffy

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »

Everyones got a junk area yes? Im just fortunate that I have more space than the average bear to fill.
Here's my dirty secret...

Its the room above my old workshop. Shut the access hatch and pretend its not there worked fine :D ...

Meanwhile, about 10ft below, people always commented how neat and organized it all looked. If only they knew the horror that lurked above...

I say old, we've moved to a new place and thats got even more space to fill but currently the main machine room to be has a dirt floor and there's currently a area of the open hangar that my wife hates which has everything stacked up in it while we get the workshops and storage sheds sorted. But thats fine, she coudlnt get her car under cover anyway as the jcb is mid engine rebuild blocking the entrance (and a 3ciii with a dead engine is a very very immobile object to say the least), and our two vintage tractors are blocking the alternative one. And some of my junk is still in the loft of the other place :)

Offline kwackers

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »
Why is it always motorcycles in peoples junk areas?

Mind you I've got a 750 Yamaha in my attic - getting that engine up there using the tiny ali loft ladder and minute hole in the ceiling was "entertaining". There were certainly a few moments when I pondered if an half inch floorboard would be enough to stop an engine dropped from around 8 foot from becoming part of my dining room.

I'd post pictures of mine, but it's recently been tidied and tbh is more an example of a machinery jigsaw puzzle than anything else.

MrFluffy

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »
Theres a rover v8 engine halfway up the rubble that forms the staircase to be that leads to the upstairs storage here in the new place. I realized it couldn't be done on my own no matter how much I tried to pinchbar it up so sheeted it over till I get the jcb running properly again or my neighbor pops round with a telehandler for something else...

Theyre not whole motorcycles, theyre just bits ready for mutating some poor unsuspecting one. The bikes themselves live somewhere else mostly although I somehow did manage to get my xt500 up the same rubble staircase before giving it up as a bad idea and putting them downstairs in one of the old milking parlors although the floor in there is a bit trecherous too having weird troughs and the remnants of the feed and watering troughs cast into it. Ive almost got used to smacking my head on that big oak beam which supports the underneath of the upper floor too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:02:31 AM by MrFluffy »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
Ducati 851 Strada  '89 monoposto

Doh! Should have known that. I had a 888 for awhile...

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 09:57:02 PM »
Well since there seems to be a lack of USA representation. Here are some shots of my shop's 1st floor.

Looking to the left side from center

Looking to the right side from center

Looking to the rear wall from the front

These three are the fall  out from vinyl siding and aluminum trim on a 2 1/2 story house. 10'6" aluminum trim brake buried under stuff.

A shot of that flat surface virus in a shop, No flat surface goes un cluttered for less then 24 hours.

And finally a 17 pound ball of trimmings from cutting the aluminum coil stock to size for bending.

Will get the the second floor tomorrow, along with the material storage outside and the one of the obligatory motorcycle  :lol:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:37 PM »
The bike is a Rickman CB750 Honda.

$$$? Ive heard of a Rickman, in fact I know a fellow who is looking for a 750 Honda based Rickman.....

RobT
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

tumutbound

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 12:47:40 AM »

$$$? Ive heard of a Rickman, in fact I know a fellow who is looking for a 750 Honda based Rickman.....

RobT

I'm not sure what they're worth these days so have tried to give it a $$$ value. They're pretty rare and this example is complete, if a little neglected. I'll ahve to see how it scrubs up.
I've had this one since I imported it in the mid 70s from RGM Motorcycles in Luton.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »
PT,

Doesn't look messy to me at all. :scratch:

Looks more like a "well equiped shop" capable of doing any job required. :lol:  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 07:26:11 PM »
Well I guess  :thumbup:

Obligatory motor cycle photo  ::) Honda cl70 scrambler  1971 0r so less than 700 miles and no paperwork. Was a barn find, it was stored in a barn since 1975 I was going to use parts for another project. But as things happen the project is on hold pending a redesign.

The junk pile load waiting for its last ride to the scrappers.

The two storage leantoos behind the shop for the bits that are saved beacuase the look to be useful.

The two bays as they looked this morning

The area behind the people door and stairs to 2nd floor

Second floor after a clean up, been 4 months and it still is more space than not  :bugeye:
Despite the fact that to turn around most days, I have to go back outside to do it. Only have a couple more days of bending aluminum trim and installing vinyl siding and insulation on the sides of the front peak of the hose I will be able to remove the trim brake and all the stuff that goes with it. Getting a bay back so I can hook up the TIG unit and start practicing this winter.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Cornish Jack

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
 :worthless:
Hmmm, maybe so but I can't actually get into a position to take a photo of my 'toy shed' - the main one, that is. The 'obligatory' motorcycle is another Honda but just a tiddly little C90 bought new in '74 and done just 4500 miles. Having knackered my kickstart knee it has become unusable but can't bear to get rid of it. Ther appear to be some irritatingly tidy people in this world. Possibly my ONLY saving grace is that I'm not one of them. :(

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »
If we are into mo'sickle shots, this is mine before almost everything chrome was replaced or added and a new Memphis Shades screen fitted. Also it has real sheepskin colour matched seat cover, to keep your a**e warm. It seems that a sheepskin perfectly matches the shape required for the Goldie without any trimming, so could be used as a rug in the house, or even sold back to a sheep that needs a new blue coat.

It hasn't been ridden for 18 months, and I will never be able to ride it again, so make me a reasonable offer and you could have a bike that is a showstopper once it is cleaned up and the rest of the new chrome and electrics are fitted.

Bogs

BTW, for those not in the know, it is a Honda 1500cc flat six GL Goldwing. The one everyone loves because of the reliability.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:36:25 PM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
Hi Bogs

That's an awsome machine :bow:

There used to be (and possibly still is) a Goldwing club here in Sheffield that met regularly, i used to see the occasionally in a sort of convoy- a sight to behold :thumbup:

John :beer:

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi John,
If you saw Wings being ridden, my guess would have been it was sometime between Easter and August bank holiday and only then if the forecast said no rain for at least a month. To be fair to Wing owners, they are marginally better than HD riders, who all buy Sportsters "to be different", and need two months guarantee of drought.  :D
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline andreas

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
Hello from Cyprus!! a few photos of my work shop. The main interest here it`s electronics.That was my main job before 10 years. Sorry about the quality of the photos ::)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »
Nice bike John !!

I`m just about to do my full licence and I`m just getting by on a Honda cg125 but that goldwing looks a corker!

Chris

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
Unfortunately Ned, my panniers contain full wet weather suits. To me a bike should be ridden all the time, not just in good weather.

But it does have the advantage of air conditioning, full stereo and a cigarette lighter, adjustable air suspension for when you come to a bumpy bit, and autocruise when you are feeling a little lazy, plus reverse of course, and autopark and rideaway on and off the main stand, plus .............. the list is endless.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »
Just teasing you Bogs, I am an all weather rider myself. It must be a real loss not being able to get out and about on such a wonderous beastie. Many years ago, late seventies if memory serves, I was going to buy a Wing, but bought a BMW 90S instead, still got it but it is in rather a sorry state at moment. Another for the tuit list, will it never end?
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
I gathered that Ned.

In fact I bought this as a sort of retirement present for myself, then after riding it for about a year, my legs sort of gave way and it hasn't been riddden since.

A shame really because it is now being regarded as a classic. If I can't get rid of it in one big bit, I will get my mate to strip it down and sell it for spares. It's got to go.

There must still be about a grands worth of new chrome and top of the range electrics to still be fitted.

Bogs

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:38:26 PM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline Trion

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 03:26:15 AM »
Nice bike bogs, though sorry to hear you dont drive it any more.

Bit OT, but if were into bikes, I thought I'd post a picture of the ones I had.

When I was 16, my Sachs XTC 125ccm

When I turned 18, my Kawasaki ZXR-750RR special track edition with fully adjustable rear swing arm, adjustable suspension front and back, flat slide carburretors (a pain to drive) and ofcourse monoseat :headbang:

But I grew up, and decided it would be nice to live to my twentieth bithday, so I sold the bikes and bought myself a sports car instead. And now as I am getting even older, i have begun to find large machinery to be even safer and quite fun ::)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 04:12:47 AM »
Hi Trion,

I think you have missed the generation gap.

For me to ride your bikes, the tanks would have to come off. With the onset of older age, the gut tends to get a bit larger. On the wing, the tank is basically under the seat, and so doesn't get in the way.

Wonderful bikes BTW.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline Trion

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2010, 04:26:27 AM »
Bogs, no doubt about the gap, I was just trying to blend in amongst the more experienced bikers on here. :wave:
I must say I find larger bikes intimidating. I imagine if you get the weight a bit out of balance, there is no stopping before it hits the ground. At least with the bikes I had, I was able to lay them on the side to get the last slurp of fuel out of the tank and make it to the nearest gas station ::)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 05:02:49 AM »
With the flat six being slung so low down on the Wing, the C of G is also very low, making it ultra stable, so there is very little effort required in riding such a large bike, and because of the way they are made, if they do fall over, they sit an an angle of about 30 degs, resting on the engine bars and running boards (which have replaceable metal wear away slugs fitted underneath, to tell you when you are banking too far). That stops you being crushed underneath, and you can just climb off. You can get them to fall over completely, but it is rather difficult.

Anyway, I think we have hijacked this thread for long enough.

Bogs
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:05:33 AM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175