Author Topic: Rider Ericsson Hot Air Engine  (Read 54890 times)

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
Re: Rider Ericsson Hot Air Engine
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »
Thank you kindly chaps, I do appreciate the well wishes.

Spent the day at Forncett Industrial Steam Museum today, helping out.
If I can't play with little ones I will get out to play with the big buggers!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't do a lot of harm to 20 ton lumps of iron! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We apologise for the break in transmission. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline AndyB

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
Hi guys,

Has it been that long already???? :doh: :doh: :doh:

A bit of good news; I can lift my arm above my shoulder but the right hand is still crap! I have been doing little bits now and again when I figure out how to do something without having a working thumb (you wouldn't believe how crippling it is to not have a thumb to grip with!)

Just to let you all know; Forncett Industrial Steam Museum has its annual Model Engineering Day on the first Sunday in October, the 7th. Do come along, it is a fantastic day with loads of really friendly people...mind you, you have to be friendly if you can find your way there...you need someone to tell you how to get home again! Haha

If you are in the vicinity of Norwich to Ipswich A140 near Long Stratton (that's Norfolk in England) you will bevery welcome. I will be playing with the big ones although I might have enough done of this RE to show willing. 10 steaming engines from the baby that used to pump treacle at the Colman's mustard factory (and now pumps out the condenser of a Gimson Beam engine of 1879, up to an 85 ton triple compound water pump, including the Tower Bridge No 3 engine.

Andy

Offline AndyB

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry that it has been so long since I put anything worthwhile up. I messed up several bits that I had spent ages making that I thought it was better to leave it for a while. As I said in the previous post, the arm works better but the hand is the same.

Still, I have been creeping into the shed and doing a bit now and then, and again when I cock it up. The power piston centre has had three attempts to put bushes in, each time it went wrong because of muscle spasms. Maybe there is something in using the self-acting bits on the Super 7... :poke:

Never mind, onward and upward...

I have completed the displacer cylinder, the displacer piston and the linkages. Actually, the displacer cylinder is also the mark III version... :lol: :lol:

The displacer piston:

The engine so far:

It all turns freely with no resistance...I did take a video on my phone camera but the picture is dreadful!
So here are pictures of the linkages with the displacer piston at top and bottom of travel (the power piston is set at 90 degrees which is why it looks a bit strange in relation:

At the moment I have to locate and bolt down the walking beam bracket, remake the crank (it doesn't sit perfectly square to the crankshaft), locate and bolt on the burner box and then make the water pump and pipe it all up. The power piston cylinder is still loose as I want to be able to get the swarf out when I drill into the water jacket.

It all needs tidying up when I have completed fabrication, so please forgive the state of bits.

I have promised to have it at Forncett Model Engineers Day on the first Sunday of October...it won't be finished but it will be something to look at...if anyone cares  :lol: :lol:

Will keep you informed...

Incidently, I bit the bullet and got myself a Centec 2A vertical and horizontal milling machine. I got it cheap and had to rebuild it but it was worth it!

I just happened to have a Drummond stand doing nothing, so adjusted it to fit as the Centec didn't have a stand, and I wouldn't have had room for one anyway. The little shed is about full now! :lol: :lol:

It has made such a difference to the way that I machine parts but there was another learning curve! :lol: :lol:

Andy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:13:47 PM by AndyB »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
Hi Andy.
So sorry to hear you're still not functioning properly. It must be very frustrating......  :bang:

Nice work on the parts.  :clap:

That looks to be a crackin' little mill!  :bugeye:

Hope conditions improve for you, soon......

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
Nice engine you got there  :D

Offline AndyB

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
Thank you for the kind words...and thank you for not being angry that it is taking me so long to get anywhere with this! :nrocks:
I had such high hopes when I started out  :doh:

Andy  :(

Offline krv3000

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
well it looks apsalotle fantstic as for time it will be dun one day

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »
There's no hurry Andy, I will still be here for a while yet.

Jim

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2012, 03:47:57 AM »
HI Andy , good to see your making progress with the engine build , its looking good  :clap: :clap: :clap: , you are  building your engine  quicker than I , started   my RE engine about 17 years ago and its still not finished  :palm:

The Centec 2A looks spot on , nice fined  :thumbup:

Rob