Author Topic: UK members, where are you?  (Read 33405 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: UK members, where are you?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
Adev

Nope, won't post such details on a Public Forum.

Do have some vestiges of social responsibility and decency left. Not a lot, I must admit. And usually very effectively suppressed.

However, as you seemed to have developed an interest, I'll send a PM ..  :D

You have a stab at it if you want. I shall assume the status of detached bystander I think.   :thumbup:

I notice no-one else seems to admit to getting such approaches.

Maybe they have taken the bait, and are well chuffed with the consequences. To any who have, might I say ..

:worthless:

Back to the Telly ...

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
Adev

Nope, won't post such details on a Public Forum.

Do have some vestiges of social responsibility and decency left. Not a lot, I must admit. And usually very effectively suppressed.

However, as you seemed to have developed an interest, I'll send a PM ..  :D

Hmm... not necessarily THAT interested; and as you say, 99.9% chance of it being a scammer, or possibly the result of ID theft? Then again, I'm shocked at just how open Skype is. There doesn't seem to be an "ex-directory" option, not that I could find at any rate.

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hi Dave

That happened to me when i was talking to you on skype ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have had a few  :coffee:

Rob

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »
I've been on Skype for about 6 months or so. Just had a few contacts from various forums and a couple of others with some folk I know in Holland and Germany. About 15 total.

No other grief until about a month ago, then I got several ... er ... oddbods per week. So, I poke the ignore wotsit and they disappear.

Except ... this one has bounced back ... why, I don't know ...

Will have to make use of the block facility maybe.

Dave BC

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »

That happened to me when i was talking to you on skype ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have had a few  :coffee:

Rob

Ho Yus ???  I'm happy for for you  :thumbup:

Anything salacious and disgusting we should know about ????? ....    :lol:

Dave BC

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

That happened to me when i was talking to you on skype ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have had a few  :coffee:

Rob

Ho Yus ???  I'm happy for for you  :thumbup:

Anything salacious and disgusting we should know about ????? ....    :lol:

Dave BC

NOPE  :D  ,,,,, but i do blame you as it only happens when i talk to you  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

Rob

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 03:10:46 AM »
Gents,

Even though this great site is run and hosted in the US, thanks to our benefactor Eric, it does have a very high UK population.

Unlike the US, which is a rather large place and model engineers seem to be spaced out hundreds of miles apart, here in the UK, we are a bit more densely packed. In fact, at my guesstimation, within a ten mile radius of where I live, there must be at least five hundred model engineers, maybe a lot more.

Maybe other areas of the country are not that well populated with us, but I am sure, everyone has at least one within easy striking distance.

If I could just make a suggestion.........................   etc

Bogs, I am well within striking distance for you and will be still when we move in a couple of months... Just get yourself to the place where the big aeroplanes are and get on board one,  sit back eat a few meals, watch several movies, have a sleep or two then get off that plane and do the same all over again on another one.  By then you should be in these here shakey isles.  Two more plane rides (no movies and only a cup of tea on these) and about an hour on a bus will see you at my new shop in Ashburton, Google Earth 43deg 54'24.34"S   171deg 46'06.63"E

A cup of tea will be waiting.

John
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:26:49 AM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:02 AM »
John,

I will be over next week, as soon as you send me the tickets, paid for hotel reservations ...................................

A rather expensive cuppa for you. :lol:

Just to keep the post going

Is there anyone else from the UK who wants to share where they come from?

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Rikk

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
I normally lurk and soak up all the knowledge from you guys ;)

Hopefully it will appear at the bottom but I'm in Romford, Essex. Would love to meet anyone else vaguely local for a cuppa and chat  :wave:

Here's the business corner of my workshop, finished putting the DRO on the mill on monday, I'll get around to the lathe at some point.
Location - Romford, Essex

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
Hi Rikk,

Nice DRO install, I was thinking about this again the other day. My mill is similar, Chester Century type thing. How difficult did you find it to install. Did you use standard size scales. I fancy a 3 axis one though as the one on the quill isn't great on mine. The cross feed (y axis?) looks te worst one to do as it's not completely flat where as the Z and along the length of the table have flat datums.

Nick

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
.....finished putting the DRO on the mill on monday, I'll get around to the lathe at some point.

Hi Rikk,
I've got the Warco version of that lathe ( http://andysmachines.weebly.com/ ) so when you get round to it, I'll be interested to see how you attach the scales to it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2010, 09:48:40 AM »
......Is there anyone else from the UK who wants to share where they come from?.....

Well, NOT from the UK but definitely from the Britsh Isles - I'm from the Isle of Man. For those who don't know, the Isle of Man is the one in the middle of the Irish Sea (and isn't the same as the Isle of Wight!).

Constitutionally, we're similar to, say, Aus/NZ/Canada (although somewhat smaller!).  As several other MM members have commented, the Island is known for its motorsport (TT motorcycle races and car rallying), and has a finance sector, some high-tech manufacturing, some tourism and still has independent breweries.  We Manx are now technically an ethnic minority, but there is a strong Celtic/Viking heritage.

Dave

(and Eric has already apologised when I signed up to MM that the bulletin board software didn't have IOM option, so I had to choose UK as the nearest landmark)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:06:57 AM by DMIOM »

Offline Rikk

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
It was a bit of a pain to do but I really only started playing with this hobby a month or so back so am VERY new and everything is a voyage of discovery :)

Yes standard scales used and they fit really well. They supply loads of mounting brackets but they are HUGE, but a great source of ali stock for later ;)
For X I used the end stops to mount the actual scale on and made this block to fit to the end stop centre...err bit :)

The Y was a bit of a pest as you have to drill and tap the mill castings and to say i was a little nervous would be a gross understatment.
I tap'd 5 holes to mount the left/right support brackets for the scale, and two in the slide to mount a section to which then had a bent plate mounted to it....god I hope this makes sense....anyway here's a couple of pictures which should help.

It took me a good few days but know I know what i do probably a long day would see it done.

I have another two scales I'll be doing the lathe with at some point and hopefully use a switchbox behind the display to flick between them.

Only real issue I'm having is the manual it's terrible, I've worked out a lot but rudius cuts and actually what RI is still baffles me.

............Rikk

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
Looks like its just me this side of the wall  ::)

Rob

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
Thanks for the info and extra pics Rikk, but I don't get it - how come the read headis at the bottom?! or does some fancy bracket drive it from behind the bracket?

Nick

Offline Rikk

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 11:10:29 AM »
Yep there's an angled bracket coming off the top delrin spacer, going behind the scale with the read head bolting to that. In the second picture the two silver bits you see with the hex bolts going through them is the top of that bracket and sliver line around the read head is the bottom of it.

I can try and get a side view pic if you want?

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
Don't worry Rob, we'll find someone for you eventually.

I would just like to know where fitting DRO's comes into showing where you live.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Rikk

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »
Sorry, should have carried it on in another post.

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
Hi NickG,
Before Bogs quite rightly complains about this being OT, a mnemonic for remembering which is X&Y on a mill.. X is across (a cross as in X)that is side to side and Y is in awaY from you when you are standing where you should be. Z is the up and down movement. Lathes are different (sort of) you have to imagine the lathe as being upended with the headstock where the quill would be. Confusing or what?
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
Cheers Rikk, and Ned for clearing that up!  :thumbup:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
Looks like its just me this side of the wall  ::)

Rob

Thank Christ for that, I'd get mental if they were two Geordies.
John Stevenson

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
John,

I will be over next week, as soon as you send me the tickets, paid for hotel reservations ...................................

A rather expensive cuppa for you. :lol:

Ummm, you wont need a hotel as they let you sleep on the plane.... :lol:

I am away now to put the kettle on...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:25:22 AM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Sailorsam22

• Near Peterborough
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2010, 07:00:55 AM »
Hi all, I am a newbie to this site and others but am learning a lot from it. I have changed my profile as suggested but I dont see any replies from my area as yet even though I know there is a big moddelling club nearby. Being disabled I am unable to get to it at this moment in time so will keep watching to see if there are any postings close by. Mike

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »
Hi And Welcome Mike  :wave:

If you have any projects on the go ,, we would be glad to see them    :worthless:   :)

Rob

Offline Sailorsam22

• Near Peterborough
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
Hi Rob, I have a grasshopper and a Case traction engine on the go at present and will try to post some pics later. Mike PS I have after many attempts got my location to show an the postings.