Author Topic: New shed- YAY!!!!!!!!  (Read 8821 times)

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
New shed- YAY!!!!!!!!
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
Hi all

My little old shed at the bottom of the garden is about ready to collapse, luckily on a local forum (Sheffield forum) someone was advertising a metal shed that they bought but never erected, i bought it for £100 (the new price is £200), the cap said he thought it was a 10x8 which would have been a tight fit between an oak tree, a bay laurel tree and the boundry fences of my garden...
Luckily when i went to look at it, it's 121"x 50" so it's going to fit perfectly in the space where the old 6x3 was...

I once put one of these sheds up for a friend at work- it was a bit hairy due to high winds (needed both him and his wife to help!)
I'm hoping that the extra size will accomodate all the gardening stuff, all the spares for my midget and so leave me some space to set my shop up a bit  :thumbup:

It's one of these but a little longer and narrower...

It's going to be a laugh getting the base ready with this 'orrible weather we're having :doh:

Cheers, John :beer:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: New shed- YAY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
I would recommend a power driver on the outside and someone on the inside with a spanner. There are hundreds of screws to put in.

My mate has just assembled a 6x4ft one, and it took him most of the day.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
I would recommend a power driver on the outside and someone on the inside with a spanner. There are hundreds of screws to put in.

My mate has just assembled a 6x4ft one, and it took him most of the day.

Bogs

Cheers Bogs

I erected one for a mate a few years ago (8x6 if memory serves)- it was a nightmare due to high winds!!..
I live at the top of a hill and so is quite windy up here, luckily, where it's going is surrounded by trees and greenhouses so the wind won't be a problem.

I think the wife will be holding the spanner!!!

I have to get a good solid base down first so that i can bolt it down :thumbup:

Cheers, John :)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
John,

It should make a nice draught and weatherproof shop. Only problem is the cold weather, and you lose such a lot of the internal space if you insulate.

I lost 3" on my internal measurements. It doesn't sound much, but when you are tight for space, it can mean a machine fitting in or not.

Best of luck with the build, and don't forget to get the better half a little pressie for helping you, and no, a six pack isn't a pressie, even if she does enjoy the odd one.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »
Hi Bogs

This is just going to be  a store for all the stuff that's in my garage (and the other shed), the stuff that's stopping me from being able to make stuff in there like fishing tackle, stuff that the wife has put in and the extra drill presses, bandsaws, grinders etc that are in the way!!!

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
Well

I collapsed the old (6x3) shed today, chopped it to size so that it fitted in the back of my Honda Civic and carted it off to the dumpit site!!...

Here's where it's going..

There was two sets of wheels from my sons two Peugeot 205Gti's in there, dunno what he intends doing with them- probably just leaving them there forever (same as his Citroen Saxo that's on my drive :bang:

EDIT!!- Doh!!!- i put the wrong pic in!!!

I'm fairly sure that i've lost about six feet of land to my neighbours as the hedges have spread, when i look up the garden and follow the line of my garage, the hedge takes an abrupt angle making my garden go wedge shaped :scratch:
Oh well, off to the soliciters next week to have a look at the deeds, if the angle isn't there i think a surveyer may be called for...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:11:24 AM by johnbaz »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
Is that your Anderson shelter John ?

Rob  :D

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
Is that your Anderson shelter John ?

Rob  :D

Naw!!

It belongs to next door, from how it's situated, it looks like the boundry must be crooked ::)

John :beer:

Offline Miner

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »
John,
While I'm sure you get very little snow where you live I know it does happen and no doubt would be the very heavy wet type of snow at that. Here in Canada I personaly know of numerous sheds like this collapsing due to a heavy snow load. You may want to stiffen up that shed before filling it up with some light plywood screwed to the interior walls plus maybe use a temporary vertical 2x4 running between the floor and the roof ridge point each winter. My brother in law spent over $1200 for a 12'x10' shed of this type and it didn't last the first winter.

Pete

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Over the years, especially with boundary hedges, little bits can get lost, moved or stolen.

I had my fence line redone about 15 years ago, and straightened all the angled lines up with concrete posts and panels, I actually gained 3 feet on one side, and six feet on the other. The hedges had been in there since 1941 and were at least 8 feet thick in places.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
Hi Pete

Thanks for the good advice, we do get a bit of the 'orrible white stuff but nowhere near the amount that you will probably see (every time we get an inch of snow the roads block up terribly ::)  )

Luckily, the shed will be located under a profusion of trees that stops the snow getting through..

There are two greenhouses in this pic (the second one can't be seen for the first!), it will be going behind them, it's actually like being under a massive umbrella down there!!

Another snowey pic from last year (or possibly the year before!)

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »
Over the years, especially with boundary hedges, little bits can get lost, moved or stolen.

I had my fence line redone about 15 years ago, and straightened all the angled lines up with concrete posts and panels, I actually gained 3 feet on one side, and six feet on the other. The hedges had been in there since 1941 and were at least 8 feet thick in places.

Bogs

Hi Bogs

My hedges are suffering the same problem, when reducing the height i have to use a piece od 2"x1" with a large nail sticking out to drag the new growth towards me!!, the old lady at the other side wouldn't let me come round to her side last year to lop them back as there was a very tall shrub that was in flower and she didn't want it cutting :loco:
When we bought the house, we were shown the drawings for the property and we owned all four boundries, this was apparently due to the fact that ours was the last house built at that time (mid 40's) then another builder carried on building so the new houses had the boundry to the right of the properties.

The old fellow years ago said that they were his hedges, i didn't argue as he was an overbearing sod, complaining about the slightest thing, he not with us now though and the old lady is really unwell so i presume we'll be getting new neighbours shortly..

Cheers, John..

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 04:59:33 AM »
Johnbaz: Don't let my son see those wheels .....  :lol:

Good luck with the shed build, I love a good shed  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
You need a good furnace to turn those wheels in to engine castings  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)