Author Topic: Acme threads...  (Read 19208 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Acme threads...
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »
This is the business part of my lathe's tailstock:

The problem is, between the brass nut & the steel screw, there's around 0.1" play. As a result, particularly when drilling something "grabby", the drill has a tendancy to lunge forwards into the work, until the screw catches up. Not to mention the fact there's bugger all actual metal left in the nut's thread...

Making a replacement should be fairly easy, with the exception of internally threading the brass nut... I could, at a push, probably grind up an external threading tool, but I've no chance doing an internal one. I'd like to make both the shaft & nut new, so there's absolutely minimal play. Plus, it'll be good practice making a left-hand screw thread.

Therefore.... does anyone happen to have a 3/4" 5-tpi left-hand Acme tap I could borrow? I know RDG tools do one for 25 quid, but that seems to be a tad wasteful when I only expect to use the thing once...

Also, should I cut the nut in brass, or phosphor bronze? Based on the fact the one I've got is likely to be original, and between 70 & 80 years old, is there any point making it in anything harder than brass?

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Acme threads...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
That looks suspiciously like a square thread  - have a good look at the unworn end and check the sides of the threads are 29°.

Bill
Bill

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
Hi Ade

What about here ,, http://www.roton.com/mating_components.aspx?family=7159433  scroll down a  tad

Rob

:doh:   $60 min order

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:53:41 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
Bill,

It's definitely not square; here's a real close-up:

Although that's from the central (worn) part, the un-worn ends are the same form.

Rob - good link (8tpi, but I found the 5tpi stuff). 26 bucks + p&p though, just for the bronze bit... probably cheaper than buying the tap, but not by a huge margin. Besides, I fancy making one... what's the point of having all this machinery if I just end up buying everything?
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOPS  :doh:  posted wrong link

Rob

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »
Bill,

It's definitely not square; here's a real close-up:
Ah that's good :)

Why can you not single point it on the lathe?  (My Hardinge won't go down to 5tpi or I'd offer to do it for you)

Bill
Bill

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Bill,

I can single-point the shaft no problem; but the internal threading I'm not so sure about. I know it's possible to buy single-point internal acme threading tools... but TBH I may as well buy the tap from RDG if I'm going to do that... I was just hoping someone had already shelled out on the tap & was willing to share  :wave:

Maybe I'll try grinding up an internal threading tool... that'll be an interesting job in its own right.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
Bill,

I can single-point the shaft no problem; but the internal threading I'm not so sure about. I know it's possible to buy single-point internal acme threading tools... but TBH I may as well buy the tap from RDG if I'm going to do that... I was just hoping someone had already shelled out on the tap & was willing to share  :wave:

Maybe I'll try grinding up an internal threading tool... that'll be an interesting job in its own right.

Hmm - you may need the leverage of a tap wrench with long handles for 5 tpi Acme, and it might be hard getting a good enough grip on that round nut. Might it be better to single-point it most of the way, so the tap doesn't have to shift as much metal per turn?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Sorry Ade, I have a couple, but nothing near the size you require. I used mine when I worked on the top end of an Atlas.

C'est la vie

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
On a side note...

When drilling anything Grabby. You need to grind your drill bit so that it doesn't grab. Hard to explain. Let me look for a picture.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Near the bottom.

Linky thingy
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
Wes,
I knew about the grabby carry on, and it's cure, too many years ago....... But that link made very interesting reading.  :thumbup:

It's been bookmarked, to save me a lot of fumbling for words of explanation, in the future!  :scratch:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 07:07:48 AM »
Hi Ade,
Have you tried FeePay for your tap, or if you buy from RDG perhaps you could sell it after. I suspect that if you do buy, you will keep the tap, just in case.
Re the actual making of the nut, might I state the obvious and say you should make it from square or Hex stock, cut the thread then turn the outside. Even if you screw cut most of the thread then use a tap, the forces are likely to be too large to hold firmly a round piece, but either Sq or Hex will hold better in the right chuck, without having to strain anything.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
Hi
It should not matter what profile the thrwad is as long as you make a nut to fit  :) :) :) :)
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3445.msg37217#msg37217

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 07:22:18 AM »
Ade,

I was going to do the same to make a nut for my milling vice, but then I bodged it instead. I was going to taper turn a bit of silver steel to the right angle then mill in exactly half and grind a relief on the front to use as a cutting tool, like a D bit then harden it. I think this would have worked.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
I've just remembered that, somewhere on here (or maybe HMEM) is a description of a technique for making a double-ended threading tool out of round bar silver steel, which will cut both internal & external threads, and requires no grinding (other than a touch with a stone to get a sharp edge.... I can easily make the Acme form in S/S, and having both the internal & external tool means I don't need to worry about getting them totally accurate & identical (they'll automatically be identical, and should fit together nicely.

Time to use the search engine.... I'll post the link back when I find it...

...here it is: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3523.0

Thanks fatal-exception  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:57:43 AM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
Ade, I think this is it: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3523.0

How about making your screw out of silver steel, but longer than you need. Cut off the excess, gash flutes in it, square off the end and harden/temper it to make a tap. Use the tap to finish off a single-pointed internal thread in the nut.
In theory, that should produce a pretty good fit.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »
Andy,

That's certainly an interesting idea... it should work, in theory. I don't actually have any silver steel of the correct size for this job, whereas I do have some standard leaded mild bar: I guess I should check the price of s/s...

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
While you are set up for threading the screw also thread a bit of silver steel this can be made into a tap quite easily. I would screwcut most of the nut ont the lathe and then use your homemade tap to chase the thread to size. I used this methof for the square thread on my traction engine brake. The tap is bottom centre

Jason

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
Unless you do that initial single point threading to get rid of most of the material, you will really be putting the tap at risk of breakage.

If you notice Jason's tap, it has a very long taper lead in on it.

A while ago, before I bought mine from RDG, I went searching on the web for Acme taps, and found a few of them actually came as a complete unit for cutting the the required threads.

They consisted of a drill bit on the end, followed by a tap very similar but about twice as long as Jason's version, with a very long lead in and gradually increasing thread up to full size. Supposedly, you can use them on lathe or mill for power tapping the Acme thread.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
Well, I spent the evening making a single-point tool like fatal-exception showed us. It seems to work very well, except that I lined it up wrong on the toolpost, so I started to run out of clearance... An attempted adjustment just wrecked the threads I'd cut. Lucky I was trying it out in aluminium...

I'll have another go tomorrow, & will report back with pictures... I have a feeling my cutter may be slightly too wide, which will cause it to cut sloppy threads... I will investigate that tomorrow as well... if necessary, I can fix it with a very careful trip to the grinder.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 02:34:26 AM »
It does not matter what the cutter shape is (within reason) as if you also use it to cut the tap then the exact shape will transfer to the nut.

Jason

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »
It does not matter what the cutter shape is (within reason) as if you also use it to cut the tap then the exact shape will transfer to the nut.

You're right about the shape (since I'm making both screw & nut), but the width of the cutter is critical. Unlike fatal-standard's (which was a standard 60o cutter, and was therefore simply cut until a sharp point was formed, I have to get the flat bit1 the exact right width (0.1"). Any bigger, and the cutter will remove more metal than it leaves, and the fit will be sloppy (built-in backlash); any smaller, and it won't remove quite enough metal & the nut simply won't fit on the bolt. Smaller is potentially better than bigger, as one can take a few extra thousandths using the compound slide if it turns out not to fit, whereas bigger will always cut too much.

1 it occurs to me, I have to make the _root_ of the cutter 0.1" (as that forms the top of the tooth)... good job that occurred to me before I started grinding!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:50:53 AM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »
If it were mine, I'd be looking to see if I could add some backlash compensation. Any chance you could cut the nut in two and add an adjustable threaded part to separate them?  Or, perhaps an outer nut to pull them apart the threads a little like the Hardinge?

Bill
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:28:10 AM by BillTodd »
Bill

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »
Bill,

I'd wondered about anti-backlash, having read up a bit on how it's done, I'd wondered about modifying the bolt I had y'see. The only problem I could foretell is, it's a bit of a tight fit in the holder (like, it needed bashing in with the Giant Plastic Hammer of Fine Adjustments), which wouldn't do a sprung anti-backlash nut any good at all... I could maybe use a couple of set screws to push the back half of the nut away from the front half; the only problem is it wouldn't be adjustable in situ, so the balance between backlash & "can't screw the bugger back together" would be awful close... but, worth thinking about for sure. I might try mocking something up in aluminium to give me a feel for it.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
Hi AdeV,
It just occurred to me that you don't have to make a complete new nut, just make the lead screw slightly larger diameter, and the acme tap of course, then enlarge the thread in the nut. Should save a bit of time not having to screw cut the thing. There is no good reason why you have to stick to standard sizes if making your own tap.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
Ned - I'd love to, but unfortunately 90% of the wear is in the nut, and the remaining thread is now very thin... TBH, it's going to be a lot easier to make the nut than it is the leadscrew. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to cut silver steel, with only hardened silver steel...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
Sale, Cheshire

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 02:22:35 AM »
I'd Grind up your cutting tool from an HSS toolbit, I think you will find it hard going trying to cut SS with SS and you don't want to have to regrind partway through if the edge goes off.

Jason