Author Topic: Cylinder Puzzle - Finished Weekend Project!  (Read 49692 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Cylinder Puzzle - Finished Weekend Project! (lots of photos + plans)
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
Ahhh, that does make sense! ... I think I have it. So basically that centre piece is actually off centre in terms of the head as your drawings show. The holes that will be in the brass rings with also be off centre so as you spin the rings, they will not allow the centre piece down until they are rotated to align the bore with the centre piece.... think that makes sense. As your spinning them and pushing it down, you`ll feel it fall through when you get each into the right position..... I like it!

....after all that, they still have to rotate the centre piece to align the hole and then align the top and bottom pieces of the cylinder and give it a bit of a shake to release the balls...ouch!

My mother in law did actually complete my Mk2 puzzle but it took her a couple of nights of doing it during TV watching for her to get it open.

I can`t wait for you to start this!! So I presume the plan is to continue with the CNC one as well?

Offline KE5AFU

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Redacted
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:57:48 PM by KE5AFU »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:11 AM »
Hi Ke5afu

I`ll wait for the CAD - sounds bloody good but my tiny brain can`t see it!  :bang:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
Hi Guys

As I have always said this was NOT my idea, I found it on the internet and I was contacted today by a William Strijbos with a very nice email explaining that it was his invention and he makes a living off selling puzzles. So although I believe he will lose very few sales from this puzzle being up here on madmodder, I had decided to remove any pictures that explain the solution. I understand that although I believe he will not lose sales, I do agree that it is likely that people will find the solution to the puzzle.

Consequently, I have decided to remove all photos that depict how the puzzle works.

Like I said, William was very nice and there has even been some conversation of him building my adapted second version of the puzzle of which I would of course be happy for him to do.

I hope you understand the reason for me removing the pictures and I guess it is up to you or madmodder admin if you wish to do the same with other photos.

I believe you can buy his puzzles from here: http://www.puzzleworld.org/puzzleworld/toc.asp?t=_des/ws001.htm&m=des/ws000.htm

Offline shoey51

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »
I received an email from the gentleman as well but thinking it was spam deleted it

cheers Graham

Offline slowcoach

Re: Cylinder Puzzle - Finished Weekend Project!
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 05:24:07 AM »
Yep, I received the same sort of email from William today. To be fair to him, I have removed my rendered details of how the unit works from the thread.

Cheers Rob :thumbup:

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »
Bugger !  I wanted to make one of these and printed out the pdf but it'd been sitting on my desk so long it got a bit dog eared and I threw it away thinking I'd print another!

Still I understand your reasons for deleting them and fair play to you for doing so, the consideration the members have for others is one of the best things about this board

Jim

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
 :thumbup:
Glad you understand Jim, he makes a living I believe from selling puzzles of his own design so I have to give him credit for such a smart design and not blow the solution just for my enjoyment!