Author Topic: Casting a Bicycle Bell  (Read 11706 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Casting a Bicycle Bell
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
I'm thinking of making a bronze bell for my Penny Farthing that will kind of fit the antique theme that I have going. This little project will let me do a couple things that I have wanted to do. Mainly cast a bell. For some reason I have always wanted to do that? This way I will have a use for it. I will get some more experience in pattern making.  And hopefully have a useful device when done.

Doing some research on such things, I found a couple that I like. Here are some pictures I found on a German site.

I plan on making it an ornate bell. Like this pattern with out the letters.

I think I'll start gluing up some wood for a pattern tomorrow.

So, I'm thinking about casting the bell with the ornate side down and poring through a sprew in the center. Kind of like an upside down umbrella. That should work, Right?

Later, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Casting a Bicycle Bell
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
After doing a little research, I noticed that most bells are cast right side up. I'm thinking so that the liquid metal doesn't "wash" away the sand? Thoughts?
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »
Want to see this done. I don't cast, so I can't help... Maybe Rob can?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »
Thats an interesting bell set up Wes I take it the tyre bobbles activate the bell when the little wheel is moved into contact.

Thats a nice lap as well will that be next  :proj:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 06:12:19 AM »
Hi Wes

Never cast a bell myself ,,,, so i am interested to see how this works out  :thumbup:

I would go for this way

This way has problems

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
I hadn't thought of removing the sprue (yet:o) It would have come to me at some point though :med:

I have some Poplar that I'm going to use. I'm thinking of gluing up 2 or 3 layers. I think this way the grains will be going different directions and will help minimize pattern warpage. I really like poplar because the hard and soft grains are about the same.

I'm thinking that I'll make the wall thickness about 3/16" I don't really have anything to go on as far as how thickness will affect the tone of the bell. So It might be a little hit and miss?

Thanks,
Wesley P

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
I suspect the thicker the bell, the shorter (& quieter?) the ring. Unless you plan to carry a small hammer with you to hit it with of course! I've seen them tune church bells by shaving off metal around the lip, I imagine your tuning method would be similar.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »
For something that small, thinner is better.  Thicker will be sort of flat, unless you really whack it.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »
I think they cast bells on the thick side ,,, then machine the inside to get the correct note .

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Well I managed to get a little done today. I cut out some wood circles and glued them togather.

After a while the glue dried and I was able to start turning. I roughed out one side and turned a little stub to hold onto.

I then drilled the pattern a little short of the depth I am aiming for.

I then hogged a little of the wood out of the center.

I stopped here. I need to make a couple templates to machine the wood to. I'm thinking about making it slightly thick. That will pore better. I will then machine some of the thickness out of the inside to tune it. That's my plan anyway. Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:51:10 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
This looks familiar. I did some wood turning on my metal lathe, it works well, but what a mess!  It convinced me to buy a wood lathe for the wood stuff (actually that was my excuse for more tools).  I'll be watching how this turns out since I too have always wanted have a go at casting a bell!
I skin cats my own way!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:06 AM »
Love how the original is tyre powered.......   :clap:

What a crackin' project!  :bow:

Good luck Wes! :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
Got some shop time today. I need my lathe back, so I finished the bell pattern.  I drew up a template. It worked better than I thought. Here I roughed out the inside and a little/lot sanding later. It fit pretty nice.

Same with the outside. I made a little arbor that the pattern is bolted to with a central bolt. I got the thickness down to a little over 1/8" it seams kind of thick? But I was getting some chatter. We'll see if it rings after I cast a couple.

Also It will have a thinner wall thickness once I get the outside carved.
Wesley P

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »
That is a nice piece of wood turning :bow: :bow: of course you realise the lathe is now contaminated for life :( :( :(

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:24:16 PM »
This lathe is so old and wore out that a little sawdust is the least of it's worries I think I about have the pattern I'm going to carve on the bell about figured out in my head? We'll see.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
A little more research and I notice that Bell Bronze seems to have more tin in it than others. 20 percent compared to about 10 percent found in most other bronze. I found some pure tin on Ebay and am thinking of getting it to make my own scrap bronze higher tin content alloy Might be fun?
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Hey Rob, Are you using enough cow Dung in your foundry operation???

&NR=1

This is pretty interesting though. I've had lots of trouble with Bronze and these guys are using cow dung and bees wax and charcoal. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
There is a ton of pretty neat stuff pertaining to bells here. Lots of information.

http://www.russianbells.com/interest/biggest.html

Largest ringing bell!!!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:08:20 AM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I , Wes ,,,,,,,,,,, i can just see the look on the wife's face ,, when i come home with a sack of  cow poo  :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great videos  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:  interesting stuff  :med:

Rob

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
I hear meadow muffins are where the casting trade is headed, Wes.  You gotta follow the experts!  ; )
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
Interesting videos  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Not a great deal of health and safety :D :D :D :D

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »
I hear meadow muffins are where the casting trade is headed, Wes.  You gotta follow the experts!  ; )

Or, spade in hand, follow the cattle......

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short