Author Topic: Storage for small tools/stock/thingumajigs/oojamaflips/whatchamacallits  (Read 14466 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
We all know the problem, I'm sure. You've got a few dozen [insert name of thingybob here], and nowhere to put them... and those fancy racks are so expensive...

Well, not all of them. A few months back, I bought a couple of these, for just under 15 quid + the inevitable Eurotax (VAT) (click the image to go to Farnell's website, where I found them)

Basically, a 44-drawer wall-mounting (or free-standing, if you want to take the risk) unit. I have electronic components in mine at the moment, but they'll easily hold end mills, lathe tools, or small bits of metal. Each (small) drawer is about 5.25" long, 2" wide & 1.25" deep internally. If you buy the dividers (link on the product page), you can subdivide each draw into strangely irregular sizes (up to 4 compartments per drawer - small drawers only).

I plan to buy a couple more in the near future for some of my milling tools (which are starting to spread out like spilt milk), any unused drawers can hold nuts/bolts... so if anyone local to me fancies saving a couple of quid, we can probably get the price down to the 5+ level quite easily.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Storage for small tools/stock/thingumajigs/oojamaflips/whatchamacallits
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »
Ade,

I am a little reluctant to tell you what was in the big box Bluechip sent over for me last Saturday with Rob, while you were here.

Two brand new ones of those you have shown, but mine were a lot better value, freebies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:38:59 PM »
Ade,

I am a little reluctant to tell you what was in the big box Bluechip sent over for me last Saturday with Rob, while you were here.

Two brand new ones of those you have shown, but mine were a lot better value, freebies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that.

Damn, no wonder you were keeping shtum!  :(

Right, where's that BlueChip?  :poke:   :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Ade,

Sorry about that.

Damn, no wonder you were keeping shtum!  :(

Right, where's that BlueChip?  :poke:   :lol:

He's here  .... lying doggo .....  ::)

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
I got a couple of em  :D :D :D

Free delivery too John  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:12:41 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »
Methinks Ade is just checking to see whether he can kick his own a**e.

Not the sort of replies he was expecting to his post. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Skype - bandit175

Baldrocker

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Surely that should be oojamaFLOPS  ::)
BR

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »
One thing I learned many years ago...you can have every tool, nut and bolt in creation....but if you can't find it, you are sunk.

Those draw units are very useful, the pic shows a few of mine.  :)

Does anyone use a reference or index system for special gadgets and bits and pieces made in the workshop? It could be an age thing....but I find myself wondering "What on earth did I make that for".

Pete

Offline Sorekiwi

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Does anyone use a reference or index system for special gadgets and bits and pieces made in the workshop? It could be an age thing....but I find myself wondering "What on earth did I make that for".

Do you also find yourself remembering, right after you cut it up and use it for something else??
Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:55:26 AM »
Ade

I find your OP a bit confusing ...  :scratch:

'Bought from Farnell' ?

'Mersyside' ?

Docks?

No 'Diesel Fitters' left then ???  :lol:

Dave BC

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:54:27 AM »
I use mine mainly for my ball bearing collection, BA N&B's, small metric N&B's for the first. The second is full of those weird American sized N&B's plus obscure small things, like nylon screws etc, and the third is anything related to electrickery, switches, Lucar clips, micro switches etc.

Without them, my workshop would be absolutely more chaotic than it is now.

The only problem I have now is finding wall space to hang the new cabinets that I was given.  :lol: :lol:

Just rubbing it in a bit Ade.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 04:18:33 AM »
Bogs - don't stress yourself, I've got plenty of wall space over here, you can drop them by anytime...  :thumbup:  :)

Actually, in all seriousness, I don't begrudge paying £16 for them. In my book, that's still excellent value for money...

Still, the next time Dave Bluechip has a "dodgy" batch (I won't ask what lorry it fell out of, honest), I'd be happy to get even better VFM!

Speaking of which....

I find your OP a bit confusing ...  :scratch:

'Bought from Farnell' ?

'Mersyside' ?

Docks?

I'm not actually a native to this fair peninsular, so some of the tricks of the "trade" I've not yet learned... Besides, the docks are all but shut here, one needs to go to Liverpool proper for the good stuff. Erm, or so I'm told, err, heard in the pub. Yeah, that's it, heard in the pub.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:18:58 AM »
Ade

Nothing dodgy about 'em, I'm afraid. Bought (14 ?) from Argos late '70's. IIRC

Alas! The Public Bar commerce system was incapable of supplying such items then.
Otherwise I would certainly have gone that route.  :thumbup:

A life of purity and innocence is, in many ways, most commendable.
However, it can be taken too far IMHO.  :lol:

Dave BC

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »
spury   i think i read somewhere somebody use the computer and referenced everything in there so all they had to do was just look on the puter as to what drawer  or what bin its in but of coarse u need to lable every bin . it sounded like a very good idea to me.  in fact im almost at that point my self. it would take a bit to enter every single thing but once its all done hey its got to be easy. this sounds like a project for the kids hahahahaha :beer:

Offline jim

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »
i've got loads of drawer storage things, just couldn't live without them now!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
I tend to make (plywood) roll-away cabinets for sets of tools.  They all have the same height and width with (jig drilled) dowel pin holes in them so I can lay a temporary "top" across them when I need a work surface.  Thus, I have roll-away cabinets for: hand drilling equipment; grinders/sanders and abrasives; wrenches and pullers; and the like.  The "back" of each roll-away then gets a set of shelves that are 4.25 inches wide and 3.5 inches vertically spaced with thin "lips" on the outside edge.  These shelves are where I store my screws, dowel pins, washers, and the like.  One "shelf set" holds nothing but socket head cap screws (my main "attachment" items).  Another "shelf set" has hex bolts, hex nuts, and washers.  Various sizes of "temporary tops" hang underneath the shelf that holds rarely used items.  The roll-away cabinets themselves will "park" under my radial arm saw table.

I also have "material racks" made from 1X2 timbers with shelves at various spacings.  The main part of the rack tips back at a 20° nominal angle.  I keep them to something less than 28 inches wide so I can reach in from either side to get at things stored on the shelves.  The shelves are supported by 1X2 or 1X4 pieces that stick out past the 20° set back sides so my bar stock does not tip too badly.  The basis of this approach was borrowed from the racks commonly seen in lumber yards for storing molding.  Everything in the vertical (tilted back) part of the rack is (pretty much) visible and the supporting shelves can be accessed from the sides (so long as you don't array them too close together) for easy searching.  I did a variation on this design for Guy Lautard several years ago that has two sets of "tilted storage" (one at each end) and more shelves in between.  He mounted his unit on casters.  I believe that it is going to show up in the next TMBR (but I do not know that for a fact).

I have played around with various "stacked drawer" sets.  Except for my "electronics assembly area," I find them to be of little value.  I rarely purchase mechanical hardware by less than "box quantity" as a .2500-20UNC X 1.00 long socket head cap screw sells for $0.65 in a quantity of 1 at the local hardware store and a box of 100 (with NAS certification) sells for $7.15 through Fastenal.  Just try putting 100 socket head cap screws in one of those little plastic "stacked drawers."  Instead, I have an "address label" program on my computer that makes a nice label for the boxes that can be read from several feet away.  I concentrate on keeping bold labels on the boxes (and putting them back in their appropriate "rack" when done).

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
Crabsign

I already have all my boxes labelled as there about a thousand of them. Also have a colour code system, so for instance on the wall shown, labels on boxes above the worktop are black writing on yellow background, whereas below worktop are yellow on black. Opposite wall are red/yellow. By using colours it keeps the numbers to a reasonable level. For instance I have several boxes with an A2 label. The colour tells you exactly which A2 it is. :)

Currently there are just under 3000 references on the computer. Easy things like capheads, nuts, resistors and so on, are a doddle to describe and locate, but my particular problem is referrring to the myriad of 'special' bits and bobs for all manner of purposes. I just wondered how others dealt with the problem....or perhaps it's only a problem for me.

Pete

MrFluffy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
Lidl's do those storage drawer thingies on occasion for about a fiver. I recently bought one for 5e that uses smaller lin bins as the drawers, so bought it for just the bins for my rails but ended up using it in the office full of electronics oddments because its black. Mrs F has been instructed next trip to lidl's to snag another two theyre so handy...

Pete, Ive organized a lot of my stuff into lots of lin style bins, first I sort the bins by function and put them on the carrying plates near the machine theyre associated with as most intelligent layout to use them with, then theyre labeled using little dymo labels in the tray front label area. Like you most of it is very specific, m6 allen bolts, stainless R clips etc, then right at the end of the neat orderly rows there are three boxes, one labeled oddities, one marked "current project" that gets all the bits and bobs associated with it between sessions put in, and the last labeled "all the stuff left on the bench last tidyup".. I cant come up with anything more exacting than that either...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
Hey Lew,

They sound like very nice boxes. How about some picks of those beauties. :poke:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline d-m

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
A few months ago I got fed up with my taps being every place but were i could find them.I went to the dollar store and bought 2 of these I was disappointed that there were no drawer separators but I had some plastic material that cut well and with the help of the wife I quickly had a pile of them. I used the smaller one I bought just for taps. The bigger one for drill's I have need for several more, need one for number letter drills and some more for dies.
I also use plastic gun shell cases for my end mills keep them right at hand by the mill.
Dave

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Mario Andretti

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 03:14:02 AM »
I keep going on about value from Richon tools, but I bought a load of these things, the two top ones.

http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58&zenid=b5194dc66b389b685aeffdcb8a4dfda5

They cost only pennies each, cheap and nasty plastic with a window,  but they are great for all those tiny bits and pieces, and you can fit dozens in one Linbin, to keep things seperate. I just add a few to my order when buying tooling.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
I tend to make (plywood) roll-away cabinets for sets of tools.  They all have the same height and width with (jig drilled) dowel pin holes in them so I can lay a temporary "top" across them when I need a work surface.  Thus, I have roll-away cabinets for: hand drilling equipment; grinders/sanders and abrasives; wrenches and pullers; and the like.  The "back" of each roll-away then gets a set of shelves that are 4.25 inches wide and 3.5 inches vertically spaced with thin "lips" on the outside edge.  These shelves are where I store my screws, dowel pins, washers, and the like.  One "shelf set" holds nothing but socket head cap screws (my main "attachment" items).  Another "shelf set" has hex bolts, hex nuts, and washers.  Various sizes of "temporary tops" hang underneath the shelf that holds rarely used items.  The roll-away cabinets themselves will "park" under my radial arm saw table.

I also have "material racks" made from 1X2 timbers with shelves at various spacings.  The main part of the rack tips back at a 20° nominal angle.  I keep them to something less than 28 inches wide so I can reach in from either side to get at things stored on the shelves.  The shelves are supported by 1X2 or 1X4 pieces that stick out past the 20° set back sides so my bar stock does not tip too badly.  The basis of this approach was borrowed from the racks commonly seen in lumber yards for storing molding.  Everything in the vertical (tilted back) part of the rack is (pretty much) visible and the supporting shelves can be accessed from the sides (so long as you don't array them too close together) for easy searching.  I did a variation on this design for Guy Lautard several years ago that has two sets of "tilted storage" (one at each end) and more shelves in between.  He mounted his unit on casters.  I believe that it is going to show up in the next TMBR (but I do not know that for a fact).

I have played around with various "stacked drawer" sets.  Except for my "electronics assembly area," I find them to be of little value.  I rarely purchase mechanical hardware by less than "box quantity" as a .2500-20UNC X 1.00 long socket head cap screw sells for $0.65 in a quantity of 1 at the local hardware store and a box of 100 (with NAS certification) sells for $7.15 through Fastenal.  Just try putting 100 socket head cap screws in one of those little plastic "stacked drawers."  Instead, I have an "address label" program on my computer that makes a nice label for the boxes that can be read from several feet away.  I concentrate on keeping bold labels on the boxes (and putting them back in their appropriate "rack" when done).

Would love to see pics of those plywood storage thingabobs :worthless: