Author Topic: Lurker breaks cover  (Read 6834 times)

Offline benji

Lurker breaks cover
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
 :wave:
Hi folks, thought I'd pop my head up and say hello, I've only been lurking here for about 12 months.
I'm Mark, currently living in Cumbria England (where men are men and sheep are scared). My main interests are Land Rovers, I have and ex military air portable that is undergoing major surgery, and classic tractors, the fleet includes a  Grey Fergie, a Leyland 2100 with a McConnel digger on it and a Ford 3910h. I'm of the opinion that a man can never have too many toys.

Workshop wise I have an Axminster BV20 lathe (not brilliant but when I got it, it was the best compromise available) a Weiss WMD30 milling machine which I think is great. I also have a skip rescued Perfecto 3.5" lathe and a Raglan mill that some one had cut in half and then put a 35mm spacer made out off thin wall square tubing. Both of these are undergoing "remedial" work.

Slowly working my way through a Stuart 10v

Emmmm, I currently work as an IT technician for a large agricultural/motor dealership group, prior to that I ran the Land Rover parts department for the same group.

Not a lot more to say at the moment, other than once again Hi!  :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Lurker breaks cover
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi Benji!

Welcome  :wave:

The forum would welcome another 10V build, there are a couple being built in the project forum at the moment!

Chris

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
Hi Benji  :wave: welcome to the club.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline scrapman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
Hello Benji  :wave: welcome to the forum a great and friendly place,

Ray.

Offline benji

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I've been following Chris and Ray's threads, I must say I'm impressed. Hopefully mine will be as good as yours. I'll start a build log when I've taken a few piccies.

Mark

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:04:04 AM »
Hi Mark.
Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

Not just engines. We like to see (almost) anything on here. Tractors and Land Rovers will do just fine.....  :thumbup:

Join in. Show us a few pics of what you do/ did.   :D

Above all, enjoy participating..... :mmr:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:33:05 PM »
Yup. As they said!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eic
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »
Hi Mark  :wave:

The collective has spoken  :borg:   so all I thought I'd add was.... Landrovers! Are you mad?  :lol: 

Only joking, I used to work in a landy engine re-manufacturers. (post somewhere on facial hair... Odd I know. But it does show me sitting in the engine bay of a landy torquing the head down... I was in much better shape back then!!)

Anyway, a lightweight eh? My brother had one of those in the early 90's. 2.25 petrol 24V (radio) version.... Hard as hell suspension!  Not a good vehicle in this weather.... No heater to speak of!

Well, feel free to post photo's of what you have in the appropriate areas.... Always nice to see the projects  :thumbup:

Have fun.

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Graz

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 02:59:09 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome I'm down the road in Lancaster also have a LR lightweight  :headbang:

Offline benji

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »
A quick photo of the lightweight as it stands at the moment.

Its on hold at the moment until I can psych myself up enough to do battle with it again.

My Stuart 10v build pictures will hopefully start next week. I was going to put some up this weekend, only to find i left my camera lead at work.  :bang:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »
Needs a little work that one Mark  :bugeye: 

Still like the look of the lightweight, much meaner  :headbang:

A few pic's now and again (once you've summoned the courage) would be nice  :thumbup:

My personal suggestion is an uprated heater matrix and fan combo! (since it's so well stripped) Never underestimate the pleasure of a good heater! I suppose you need to put the engine and that back in first though?  :)

Ralph.

Offline benji

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
Strangely I never had problems with the heater, once I'd wired it to blow instead of suck :doh:

I do have a brand new heater assembly courtesy of Land Rover warehouse clearance a couple of years ago.

Engine.... I knew there was something missing. It's got a Perkins Prima (montego TD) engine block in there believe it or not. That was the original plan, however I now have a nice low mileage 300Tdi from my parents Discovery after tin worm attacked the chassis.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Benj,

Did you ever have the Perkins Running ?

Dave.

Offline benji

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »
Hi Dave,
no I never had the perkins running in the Land Rover, it just has a bare block in there to let me work out engine mounts. I have a couple of friends who have done this conversion using commercially available kits and they reckon its worth doing. I did at one time have a Diahatsu 2.5 diesel in there, that engine pretty much rendered 1st and 2nd gear redundant there was that much torque. Hopefully the 300 Tdi will be a worthwhile conversion. Your Peugeot engine sounds like a fun project, I've heard of them being put into Suzuki 4x4's but never a BMW

Offline DavidA

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »
Benji,

The reason I asked about the Prima is that I believe it is the successor of the Perkins 4.108.  And that it was a bit choosy about the temperature it ran at. Ie,  must never be run if the fan belt broke.
There was an article in Popular Mechanics back in the seventies about a guy who put a turbo 4.108 in a Ford and was getting 100mpg or better.  If you consider that to be USA gallons then he was getting around 120 mile to one of our superior Imp gallons.

Not bad,  really.

Now,  I do have most of the bits for two 4.108 engines in my shed.....

Dave.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
Well... A diesel?

I was thinking a 2.5 petrol with a turbo or a supercharger  :headbang:  Fuel costs be damned... Huge bhp... 2 or 4wd wheel spins and power slides... that's how my old boss drove his series IIa scared the carp out of me! :loco:   :lol:

That's why there's a golf in the picture isn't it? (or isn't that yours?)  It's not going to be a commuter bus is it?   

I couldn't afford my car if it was a commuter bus.... But since it's a toy, single figure MPG's   :ddb:   :headbang:   :ddb:

Still... Definitely want to see the progress  :thumbup:

Ralph.