Author Topic: Quill alignment help needed on a WM14 ?  (Read 7318 times)

Offline picclock

Quill alignment help needed on a WM14 ?
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
Hi

I have a Warco WM14 mill (similar to an X2). The quill is correct in the X plane (I set it  :med:) but points inward in the Y plane toward the pillar.  And it seems to be by quite a lot, around 24 thou over 2" with reference to the column. I suspect the column may bend that way a bit also, but I don't know how I would measure the column angle/runout. The gibs on the column seem to make a 1.5 thou difference when tightened across the range, which is not marvelous but good enough for me.

Does anyone know if/how this can be trimmed out by adjustment or is it a shim it up a bit job (the only way I can think of).

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Quill alignment help needed on a WM14 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
You can fix it. About halfway down this THREAD you will find some good info!

Do up a thread as you fix it so we can offer you help!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline picclock

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:21:17 AM »
hi Brass_Machine

I had seen that thread before. I've looked at the assembly drawing in the mill manual but there isn't any head adjustment in the Y plane. When I first got it it didn't seem too bad when I checked, but I think it must have changed when I tightened the gibs holding the vertical slide to the column. I don't have time for a complete strip down and as shown in the other thread so I will just shim the mill head for now.

Will post pictures if anyones interested.

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:51:29 AM »

picclock

Yes please!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »
hi Brass_Machine

I had seen that thread before. I've looked at the assembly drawing in the mill manual but there isn't any head adjustment in the Y plane. When I first got it it didn't seem too bad when I checked, but I think it must have changed when I tightened the gibs holding the vertical slide to the column. I don't have time for a complete strip down and as shown in the other thread so I will just shim the mill head for now.

picclock

Yeah... no real way of adjusting it. Shimming is what you have to do. I will be taking mine apart shortly to do the same.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline picclock

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Hi All

Hope you had a good Xmas.

I could do with some help in figuring this out. Tightening the column gibs has reduced the error (which should have been stated as 0.24mm in my first post - not 24 thou  - (the metric/imperial curse  :bang:)

Column and quill locked in tests.

1. Quill up table near = 0.18 table far 0.16 mm - 0.2mm error over width of table, 120mm (quite good by my standards)

2. Quill down table near = 0.35mm table far 0.36 mm - 0.1mm error, even better

So according to these results the quill axis is very upright in the Y plane.

3. Quill up to column = 0.51mm  Quill down to column 0.35mm (with head moved up for same measurement position) - an error of 0.16mm or 6.3 thou. If the head is not moved the measurement to column error is 0.50mm to 0.35mm - virtually the same (column must be straight).

Conclusions are that the centre of the quill is upright as the figures show. However it appears that the quill outside to housing alignment is off. At least that's what I think - please chip in with any better ideas you have.

http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/picclock/Warco%20WM14%20Mill/Quill%20Align/?start=all

I'm not sure if this is going to be fixable   :( .

Also these measurements do not take into account any offset in the X plane as the quill is extended - not sure how to measure that.

@ David D - You got your pictures but I seem to have wound up with more questions  :scratch:

Best Regards

picclock

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
Have you checked that the column is square to the bed, forget the head and quill.

John S.
John Stevenson