Author Topic: what can be done with a shaper  (Read 14220 times)

Offline andre

what can be done with a shaper
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:17:51 AM »
 hi guys  i purchased  an atlas  metal shaper  and  was  wondering  what  you  can make  on them i bough it  for $ 120 is this  a good price ??

Offline Miner

Re: what can be done with a shaper
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:26:54 AM »
Andre,
You pretty well stole that shaper. Usual price is $500-$800 for the small HSM types on average. Sometimes even a lot higher. It's easier to show what a shaper can do if you go to Youtube and type in "metal working shaper" into the search box. Be prepared to spend some time there but I think you'll find it interesting and educational.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:15:53 AM by Miner »

Offline andre

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:53 AM »
 wow  $ 800 i picked  it  up because  people said  shapers are so versatile. i need  a  new  belt as the one that  was  one  it was  to small so it  is  only on one speed which i think is  two slow  as the  surface finish i am getting  a really  rough.  http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RpfW1bzPcMM/S97Q1F6QytI/AAAAAAAAAIU/xe8boZSYL_M/Image0189.jpg

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »
Thats a good score with that shaper for $120. I paid $450 for my Douglas with spares and that was a great price. A shaper can do almost everything a mill can do only slower. Your surface finish is caused buy the tool grinding, if you have a look around online you will find some good references to tool grinding, the is one from a member here as well.

Dave

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:31 AM »
You can make ...

smoke....

dovetails....

its own tool holders.........

movies.....

It all just takes time..these things arent quick and they wont be rushed.... but they are sooooo beautiful to watch.... :)

Good score mate..hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine....
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline andre

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:54 AM »
 i think you are  right dave   but  i look at  my  tool and it looks  like  it  does  in the  diagram i have been going  off  but  the  ram is  going  at  the second  fastest speed  which my father  says  is to fast  which is  way the finish is  so rough the  chip doest  come  off  with a  nice  curl but   the  finish is  rough not  smooth.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »
Having the shaper going fast will wear out your tool quicker and make things hotter, but should still leave a smooth finish on a light finish cut. Also the shaving should be coming off in little curls if the tool is ground right. Try honing the tool with a stone to get it razor sharp.

Dave

Offline andre

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »
 okay maybe  that  is  what  i was doing wrong as  i was  putting  a large radius  on the  tool so it  needs  to be  sharp a question were does  one  buy oil stone  and  good  grinding wheels

Offline Davo J

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:43 AM »
Any local tool shop should have or be able to get both of them. Hare and Forbes sell online and will post to you, from memory the 6 inch white wheels for HSS are $25, carbide ones are the same price and the 8 inch ones are around $35.

Dave

tumutbound

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:03:28 AM »
McJings carry a range of grinder wheels and stones. Very quick service.
Carbatec may be worth a try as well even though they mostly sell woodworking stuff (can I say that here?)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:31:35 AM by tumutbound »

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline SemiSkilled

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »
You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 12:30:19 AM »
Cut internal gears, splines, and keyways. Also cut square sharp cornered holes.   :proj:

Alan

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:18 AM »
This is my very first shaper job. A "D" shaped hole. It came in really handy for this. I have a couple other jobs planned that would be diffacult to do without a shaper.

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Wes,

I looked at that pic and just couln't get my brain wrapped around how that was done.

Could you please explain to a dummy like me.  ::)
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Miner

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
I can think of one way, A rotary table with the part aligned with the tool tip and facing the ram stroke. Do the flat first and then rotate the table.

Pete

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »
That's Pretty much it. I think there are some more pictures on my Penny Build. That is the very first part that I worked on on my shaper.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Miner

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »
Powder Keg
LOL, Nothing like jumping in with both feet. That's a fairly complicated first part. I own a S/B shaper but I'm planning on a full rebuild before using it in anger.

Pete

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
My efforts  :D

Shapers Rock  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:  well go back and forth allot  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline Trion

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 05:26:57 AM »
Very nice looking part Rob!
You'r not allowing the shaper much room to stop and turn on the end of the spline there! :bugeye:

Offline andre

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 07:51:28 AM »
hi thanks for all the suggestions and ideas   but i think my  first  project  will be learning how to sharpen tools for it, i can make a  cut  and  the swarf rolls abit  then break it  doesn't come  off  in curls like  when drilling.should  i make all the angles  of the  tool exact  because  i am only  guesstimating  the angles now thanks Andre