Author Topic: Photo of my workshop  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
Photo of my workshop
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »
Just been in the workshop to photo my cutter grinder, so thought I would post a general view of the shop.  :wave:

Main tools are Boxford ST 10-20 gear head lathe. full gear box and set of change wheels. Not many threads i can't cut. :D

Royal Shaper 10 inch stoke.
Just Broke the the tool slide v ways thingee  :doh: Need a bit of thinking to fix this. :smart: (not)

Chester UK Lux mill. The biggest square colume mill i could find. Very pleased with this. :beer:.

I would like a bigger gap bed lathe just for the cast iron work.

Have fun
Mike

Offline slowcoach

Re: Photo of my workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »
Great shop Mike!
Whats the Traction engine you have in the picture?

Cheers
Rob :thumbup:

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »
Hi Rob
The traction engine is a Savage Little Samson in 4 inch to the foot.
Here is a link to the designers web site  :bow:

http://homepages.tesco.net/~jean.george1/

For it's size this is about the cheapest and most simple traction engine in the UK.

Mike

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Mike, think you need to produce some swarf, looks too clean.

Good value for money those Lux's and similar other rebrands, i have the super lux for the bed length, 3 axis DRO power feed from Bridgeport type adapted. Lead screws will go first like anything chinese - 5 revs+ on vertical on mine. Shame about lowish spindle speed as well, bearings wont handle much faster.
A spindle lock would prove to be very usefull, first thing i did over 6 years ago.
Wouldnt the mill be better where the drawers are unless you need floor space for assembly?

My M300 came that green colour reminded me of Warco.

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:25:36 PM »
Hi Jonny
I am very untidy so i force myself to be clean and tidy and try and put things back where I can find them..Size of the bed on the Lux mill one of the mine reasons for deciding on a Lux rather than a 638 type. My first mill was a Mini Mill which was way to small. Mine is 3phase running on a inverter so my top speed is a giddy 1600 rpm. But then i rarely use cutters smaller than  1/8 and just have to put up with a slow feed and a couple of broken cutters now and then. I use a kit made DRO the 350M. Power feed is just on the X axis. Speed range on the power feed is too high so have to be carefull. I have very low head room around 5foot 10 inch so the mill has to go where I extended with a gable end. Allmost brought a Bridgeport a few months ago but would would very tight for space. Perhaps when the motorbikes have gone.

Mike

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
Always interested in these Lux type mills and did plan on a partial strip down over Christmas.
Lower spindle bearing has play, an off the shelf item cheap but wanted to see if theres a way to beef up the spindle and use faster speeds above 2k.

Rarely break cutters unless i have power feed on with smallish cutter doing slots.
Was also going to knock up a quick change draw bar.

Seen these DRO just fitted two to the M300 trouble is would cost £236 for X axis on Lux.
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=346
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=347
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=350

So much can be done to improve or aid use of these machines.

I havent the room for a 942 or 836 without sacrificing valuable work area.