Author Topic: Packing the box!  (Read 9593 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Packing the box!
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:10:03 AM »
I have been doing some serious days work packing my three garages into a 20' shipping container.  I was fortunate and got a number of steel office filing cabinets which are just the bees' knees as the drawer slides are sturdy and the drawers easily hold a number of items such as electrical hand tools etc etc.

So far, Lego, 3 filing cabinets filled with electrical and computer antiques, my collection of various electric motors up to 5 hp,  my ships radar scanner, a huge collection of electrical meters (mostly very old and some big), 60 drawer steel cabinet filled with workshop bits such as nuts, bolts, screws, more antique electrical bits.  Several cartons of radio valves ('toobes') and all manner of interesting bits and bobs. 4 more filing cabinets empty but already in the box for last minute items.

Still to go, lathe, cold saw, bandsaw, drill presses, compressor, mig welder, arc welder, Benelli, Honda and Douglas motor bikes.

I think it will all fit OK but it already weighs over 7 tonnes!  I was trying to keep below 6 for the cheapest freight rate but no show of doing that! :doh:

Incidently, while doing this project I un-covered my audio cassette collection of a few hundred tapes, I was about to dump them all but a test play of a few of them show they have survived very well so they are in the box too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:33:06 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline stovebolt

Re: Packing the box!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »
I was an Army brat, moved every 3 years, I developed a real dislike for moving, don't envy you,  but hope all goes well.     :thumbup:

Cheers

Jim 

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »
So how much Lego ended up being packed?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:01:32 AM »
So how much Lego ended up being packed?

Eric

Lego takes up about 3' of one end of the container, about 130 cu ft I suppose. :scratch:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
The box is on the move!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:22:50 AM »

IMGP8988 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

There is about 4 inches of clearance to get the box between the fence and the house and we cant lift it with a crane because of the slight jutty-out bit on the house.

Planks laid down with 3" water pipe for rollers and another plank between the roller and the bottom of the box.  The truck still found it a mighty struggle as the ground was very soft under the box.  So far no serious damage to the house but we still have to move it another 12' or so before the side lift truck will be able to get a lift on it.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:42:20 AM »
John,

Are you swapping Islands as well?

If so, throw in the missus and your bags, and save on air fare.

Last time I saw one of these small containers lifted it was an unsightly affair, luckily it was only filled with fairly lightweight boxes containing non crushable parts (fabric).

I gather yours is a side lift. Ours was an end lift, and one end was lifted first onto the pickup unit then pulled up a tiltable ramp. A lot of the boxes got crushed by that manoeuvre.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:34:59 PM »
John,

Are you swapping Islands as well?

If so, throw in the missus and your bags, and save on air fare.

Yes John, three hours on a ferry and about 6 hours drive for Vivienne and I in our vehicles.  The box will probably go by rail (the ferry takes trains too).

Last time I saw one of these small containers lifted it was an unsightly affair, luckily it was only filled with fairly lightweight boxes containing non crushable parts (fabric).

I gather yours is a side lift. Ours was an end lift, and one end was lifted first onto the pickup unit then pulled up a tiltable ramp. A lot of the boxes got crushed by that manoeuvre.
John

I expect the transport company will use a side life to get it to the rail and thats the need to drag it clear of the house so the truck can get along side it.  The alternative is a 'Hiab' and we also need to drag it out for that because of the clearance with the top floor of the house, besides, I am not sure how a Hiab would go lifting 8 tonnes or so on a long reach..

Most of the stuff inside is well chocked and all the valuable junque is in drawers in steel filing cabinets which fit together well.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Sideways shuffle!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »

DSCN0259 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

As the box moves forward we have to move the 'rear' end across to keep it clear of the house.  Even 4 tonnes is suprisingly easy to move with the jack when on these rollers.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:54:27 AM »
Later that day:-

DSCN0260 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

The box is moved clear of the house ready for pickup (when I finish loading it).

We tried large wooden rollers but they would not roll on the soft uneven ground, we tried steel pipe rollers between planks of wood but they would not roll either (the pipe dented to wood too much) but we got it moved eventually by laying well greased planks on the ground (grease side up!).

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Dont neglect to clean the shop!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 02:34:03 AM »
Packing for moving means a lot of stuff is getting left behind and where better place to leave it than the scrappies!

I dropped off a few hundred pounds on the way to work this morning and came out with a small roll of 'C' notes!

Even more to take in tomorrow and I think there will be more after that.. :coffee:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:32:34 AM by John Hill »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Another load!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
According to the owners handbook my 'sporty' model of the Falcon ute is good for 500kgs.

I loaded it up again last evening until it really, really, did need to have the mirrors adjusted!

The scrappie was pleased to see me an pressed a few more "C" notes into my palm.  According to his scales (which I think we can be assured do not exagerate) the total weight was 499Kgs.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
The box is gone!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:21:12 AM »
Two big trucks spent an hour wrestling with the big box and it has finally gone away up the road leaving me with 3 empty garages and only my lathe remaining!  It should be at the new house by Friday.

The house packers disappointed somewhat by advising that they will not be able to pack the house until Feb 1st or so which leaves us with an extra week in town to see the sights we missed since 1977 when we arrived in Wellington!

Offline jim

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »
a blank canvas awaits!!

hope the move goes well
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
.... The house packers disappointed somewhat by advising that they will not be able to pack the house until Feb 1st or so ...

Be thankful for the extra time to close down and clear out of the old place, John. You'll have all the time in the world to settle into the new one.

I'd hate to move; been here since 1973, when we bought the house back from the folk my Granddad sold it to. I've been widowed for 6 years, and 4 bedrooms might seem a bit OTT for a chap on his own. But one is my office, another houses my lathe, and there's still plenty of room for a lifetime's junk collection of possibly useful artefacts.

Good luck with the move.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
Thanks Jim, a nice new shop just through the door from the lounge!

Andy, thanks, I have taken numerous loads to the land-fill and a few to the scrap dealer and still the container weighed 8.1 tonnes when it got down to the rail depot.

This should be my last move, it is our retirment home in the town where my family live.  We are hoping health matters will enable us to stay there till the end whenever that might be.

The house has 3 bedrooms and is specially designed for the needs of senior folks, wide doorways, wrinkly friendly bathroom, no steps or stairs, drive in access.