Author Topic: 4500 PSI airgun compressor  (Read 14794 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
4500 PSI airgun compressor
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
Don't know how many of you airgunners and paint ball enthusiasts know about this, but I thought it was pretty neat.  Current retail price is $399.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao7aZe4ZQzo&feature=related

Chuck

Offline Jonny

Re: 4500 PSI airgun compressor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
Yeah thought they have been available from numerous sources for well over a decade then thought again 4500 psi :palm: Or 300 bar thats the difference.
For those that dont know thats serious pressure oxy acetylene is 232bar.

All the same i am intrigued by this contraption what it is a 3 or 4 stage and what hp motor to run it?
I say that one dive shop used a Hawker Sidley engine to power the compressor.
The other thing what about filters and moisture control, without would be pumping water in to action.
Did you design and work it all out etc, feed me info interested :thumbup:

Scares me every time i decant from 12ltr 300 bar in to a 3ltr 232bar and i used to work and play around with high pressure stuff. Off the shelf high pressure 1/8"BSP studs have let go at 6300psi doing a pressure test on a bit of stainless tube, supposed to have took over 9000psi.

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »
From what I can tell this unit forms stages 2 and 3 of a 3 stage unit.  A standard shop air compressor forms stage one and feeds the input to this unit.

The piston in the first stage is a 1/4" steel rod and the piston in the second stage is a 1/8" diameter rod.  It's powered by a 1/3HP, 120 volt motor.  The downside is that it takes 4 hours to fill a standard scuba tank.  Here's a link to their website:

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/

Chuck

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »
So How hard would something like this be to build? Are there any plans anywhere? I have an upcoming project :zap:

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »
I don't think it would be that hard to build.  At this link, you can see an animated gif that shows how it works.

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/

Chuck

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »
Just had a glance at the site, the 1st stage would add considerable cost.
Secondly on two counts, its pumping dirty air in by using your compressor and most importantly theres no filters.
Filters at dive shops regularly have to change, usually every months and quite expensive.

I would also assume it takes an eternity to fill a small cylinder up. Some only rated at 200bar so would need a reg in line or some shut off, else bang.

One thing you will not want to pump in air in a room environment, there by law has to be a certain percentage of moisture after the fill.

I have seen many air rifles where the owners have used pumps with those moisture trapping ball bearings. Totally wet on inside and burn the filler and in extremes have known knock open valves to burn.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
Thanks for the inputy guys. I'm only looking for around 800-900 PSI and I have another compressor. I'll be starting with the hand pump first.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...