Author Topic: Hi from New jersey  (Read 3894 times)

Offline joebiplane

Hi from New jersey
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
Hi !   from  the Southern end of  “The Peoples Republic of New Jersey”
Around 1980 id decided after building houses for 15 years   I Now wanted to shape metal into useful accessories, tools and widgets .  I bought a  Buzz Box welder,  an old South Bend lathe,…….I forgot I was way too busy to practice and the South bend had passed its useful  life for any accuracy.  And was a genuine dinosaur.
I sold the South Bend around 1986  and bought  a Emco Maier Compact  8 lathe on Hanno Prettner’s  recommendation ( I was deeply into R/C   flying ).    I made very few metal items due to the lack of time available . Non the less….I felt a Milling machine  would complete my metal working so I bought a large a  large Bench type ( probably a Rong Fu clone )    Problem was I spending so much time with my R/C  that I ultimately got divorced   :( ( long story there).   After several moves  and  with a brain Aneurism  in 2002,  I was put out to pasture..  Moving the Mill was an impossible task so it was sold about 4 years ago.
Now… I am back up to speed and ready to dedicate   about 1/3 of  my time and interest to working with metal.   Another   1/3  to  my new fiancé’   :)Wont make the same mistake again…. ( can’t afford it)  and the final third to working as a project manager for commercial construction projects  until I die….at least that’s my plan.  My Emco is almost like brand new but I now have lack a Milling machine.  I thinking of getting a version of the new….soon to be available Sieg SX4L.
My main objective is to build a ¼  exact scale model of the Murphy Renegade bipe in my sig Pic.  as  I have a corpse of the  plane in my hanger ( it needs complete rebuilding and will be modified to accept the Australian Rotec 7 cylinder radial engine  The full scale  is completely constructed with alum tubing which is pop riveted together…as my ¼ scale model will be also.  My model will sport Mock up of the radial engine ( Non Running )  as it will be just for static display.  :beer: Did I win the prize for the longest winded introduction ???
joe
The future belongs to those who are still willing to get their hands dirty

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hi from New jersey
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
Joe

Hi and welcome to MadModder. I don't know about the longest introduction as I haven't been keeping score but it's right up there with the longest. It is also right at the top as one of the best introductions. I wish more of our new members would post 1/4 as much about themselves as you did.

It looks like you have a very ambitious plan there to build the 1/4 scale  Murphy Renegade bipe. With help from some of the members here you will probably be able to build a working scale radial engine for it. I wish you lots of luck with it and will be watching for progress reports when you start building. Just remember to keep SWHBO happy and the rest will work out OK.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »
Hiya Joe  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

NJ eh? Me too. I am in central Jersey... Up by Princeton. Where are you at?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline joebiplane

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
Between Vineland and Glassboro    Malaga,  08328
Going to " cabin fever" ? Jan 15/16... i am.. will stay over and go both days
N :)ever been before

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
Yup going to cabin fever. Not sure which day yet. Been going for a few years now. You are gonna have a ball.

When I figure out what day, we can arrange to meet up for a bit.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline joebiplane

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »
I'll look forward to it Eric ( My youngest son's name is Eric   :clap:)  My cell phone number is *******
i'm going out Saturday morning and staying at the red Roof in sat night so i can go sunday also  then drive hom sunday afternoon and avoid driving in the dark. :bugeye:
let me know when your plans firm up... :nrocks:
joe larsen
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:12:55 PM by Brass_Machine »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
Hey Joe.

Hope you don't mind, but I took your number out of your post. Don't want any unsolicited calls to you.

Will let you know when I know more about Cabin Fever

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline joebiplane

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:52:29 AM »
Thanks Eric,

:doh: I was thinking the message was a PM  and only you would see it.   :bang:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 06:40:56 AM »
HI have fun