Author Topic: Anyone know how to make a simple pinhole camera?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Anyone know how to make a simple pinhole camera?
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out; it is sort of a madmodder job! I need to design and make a pinhole camera that students could build and take an image. Now when I talk about taking an image, I`m just talking about something vaguely resembling an image that they can file away as evidence. I`ve done the simple pinhole camera in the past, a tissue roll with black paper on each end and pinhole on one end. In a dark room, light a candle and look at the back black sheet, the image of the candle appears upside down.  So that is our method of a “pinhole” camera, but now they have to make one that takes an image.
The problem then comes developing the image!! We haven`t got anything in terms of photography/devlopement equipment and so we would need the easiest method that would allow them to save some sort of image without us spending a fortune on equipment and consumables.
There are quite a few instructions on the web but each uses different equipment, paper or film and if I choose one it is going to cost me and so I`d rather ask one of you guys for advice first.
I don`t know if anyone can help me out. I just thought it was worth a try before taking the plunge at random internet instructions.   It is certainly the developing that concerns me most. I`m not looking for quality art work, just something that shows a rough image or at worst, just clearly that the film/paper has been exposed!

Cheers
Chris

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Anyone know how to make a simple pinhole camera?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline maybecnc

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
Love your project! I'm a pro photographer with a lathe on garage and I am building a couple of pinhole lenses just for fun. Well, who knows, maybe for serious work too.

No fancy equipment needed for paper development. If a direct paper negative is ok for you, all you need is photo paper, paper developer and fixer. The photo paper is used on pinhole camera (instead of film) and developed. The result is a negative print.

The pinhole diameter should be calculated according to the distance from the paper (or film) to the pinhole. I have a book with formulas at home. Can post it later here.

For students it would be also fun if you can manage a room to turn into a camera, with everyone inside the camera. You need to make every door and window light-tight and, on one window, the pinhole that will form the image on the wall opposite to that window. Even if you don't make a print from that, as you would need very large paper, it is fun for students to figure it out. Some minutes are needed until human eyes start seeing the image formed on a fully darkroom.

Oh! I was just forgetting to say that you can make pinhole lenses to use on digital cameras, if you have a camera with interchangeable lenses. That's what I'm working on. Just made a 50mm and I'm now working on a 105mm pinhole lens for my Nikon.

Jose
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:21:26 AM by maybecnc »
Latest project: Modifying chucks for front monting  http://www.toolsandmods.com/mini-lathe-chuck-backplate.html

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Hey Chuck, yes found that article myself but I believe the paper it calls for has been discontinued for 18 years according to one forum! But yes, seems a good idea.

Maybecnc - thanks for your post. Your idea of the class room being the camera is fantastic! We do have black out blinds in our science labs but I`m guessing it will need to be totally dark, I think we would have some problems stopping all the light coming in. It might be worth a go. How big should the pin hole be for the class example?

Regarding the real task - a direct paper negative would be perfect. I would very much appreciate any more info regarding the formula for the calculations. My issue is actually what paper would be suitable - also what paper developer and what fixer? My problem is I know absolutely nothing about the photography side of the developing and so I actually don`t know what to buy that will work? I get all the principles and with the right formula think I could build a pinhole camera but I just don`t know which products to buy at a resonable price in the UK. There will be about 30-40 students doing it each year, so I have to think about the cost of paper but I guess we could use only a small piece each.

Any more help appreciate. You have clarified that photo paper is the way to go, I really appreciate your advice.

Chris

Offline maybecnc

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
Chris,

The formula to calculate the pinhole is:
Pinhole diameter = √distance from the pinhole to the paper (milimeters)

So, for a 5 meters room pinhole diameter is √5000 = (not exactly, but close to) 2.5mm

For the pinhole camera (for paper):
for a 10cm deep box - 0.4mm
for a 20cm deep box - 0.6mm

This formula is to calculate the optimal pinhole size. To speed up times for students you may find that you need to make it up to 50% larger.
For making the pinhole, use a plate as thin as you can find (a can?). 0.3mm to 0.5mm tick is fine.

The box for the pinhole camera is simple, of course. For a school, maybe making a wood box is a good idea. It must be light-tight, use small hinges and a lock for opening it for loading the paper. You can use tape on paper corners to hold it in place. Use black tape to cover the pinhole until you take the picture and after that too. Tape is fine to use as a curtain for a pinhole camera but of course you can manage any sort of cap to cover the pinhole.

Finding the exposure time:
It could be calculated if I know the paper ISO, but the "try-error-try" way works fine.
Start with, for example, a 15sec exposure and develop it.
If too white double exposure time on next try. Keep trying, always using twice the previous exposure time until you're happy with results. (15sec - 30sec - 60sec...)
If too dark do the opposite. Use half the exposure time for the next try.

Made a search on Calumet UK products and what you need is:
- Photo BW paper 5x7": http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/136-513V/
- BW paper developer: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/139-347E/
- Fixer: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/139-402D/
- A darkroom lamp. It is the only light source that you can turn on while you load the photo paper sheet on the camera, and when removing it from the camera after exposure and during paper development. Here is one:
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/167-652B/
- 4 plastic trays for chemicals and for washing the paper prints.
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/167-570R/
- latex or vinil gloves
- and a graduate to measure chemicals for mixing it with water:
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/167-554D/

Mixing chemicals with water:
Read instructions on developer and fixer bottles to find dilution ratios.
If 1:5 it means 1 part of developer (or fixer) plus 4 parts of water (total=5)
If 1+5 it means 1 part of developer (or fixer) plus 5 parts of water
Recommended processing times are also printed on instructions on bottles of each chemical.  
Always mix developer first and clean the graduate very well after use with each product. Otherwise chemical contamination will happen. Mark one tray DEV and other FIX and always use the same tray for each product. Again, to avoid chemical contamination.

The developing process:
Dispose trays on a bench on this order:
1- Developer
2- Water (for a quick wash between chemicals, 30 seg is ok)
3- Fixer
4- Water (for a final wash, changing the water several times. Usually on fixer instructions is referred the recommended time for the final wash, as it is to remove all fixer residuals from the paper)
Wear latex or vinil gloves when working with chemicals.

And that's it. Then let the prints dry.

Hope all this is clear to you, but feel free to ask again.

Jose
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:30:36 AM by maybecnc »
Latest project: Modifying chucks for front monting  http://www.toolsandmods.com/mini-lathe-chuck-backplate.html

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

All items have now been ordered! Just your link to the lamp was not working, it kept linking me to the fixed. Which lamp did you suggest?

Chris

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:20:03 AM »
No longer a pinhole, but almost. You can also use a drop of water as a "macro" lens in such a camera. Distilled would be the ticket. And the drop could also be any other clear liquid (as long as it does not evaporate too readily). Experimenting would be needed for the focal length. But it will shorten drastically.
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline maybecnc

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »

Just a comment.

We used to have two photo shops in our town. One has closed down,  and the other no longer stocks the chemicals and papers.

So,  apart from the run of the mill stuff from Max Spielmanns,  anything else has to be ordered via the net. 'Monochrome film ?  Sorry sir, never heard of that'.

Yep,  it's a digital world out there.

Dave

Offline maybecnc

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Chris,

Just a few more notes on camera (box) making.

For the plate for drilling the pinhole, the thinner the better to block as less as possible light that comes in angle (from up, down, left and right). You may have on your shop some shim stock that could be really thin. To drill a clean hole on shim stock, clamp the shim stock between two 1mm aluminum plates and drill it.

The deeper the box, the larger the formed image on paper will be. A 20cm deep box will produce a good image size for on the 5x7 paper. What you will get is a round image on the center of the paper. A 10cm deep box will produce a smaller image.

Use black matte paint inside the box to avoid any light reflection inside the camera. Maybe you can make the door (to load the paper) so it fits the box with steps to avoid light to get in. Black thin foam is also good to make the door light-tight.

Do not paint the pinhole plate, as paint will make it thicker.

Jose
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:19:12 AM by maybecnc »