Author Topic: Man dies at 102 owns same car 82 years  (Read 9332 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Man dies at 102 owns same car 82 years
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »
75Plus (Joe) asked me to sort this one out for him, he couldn't find a way to post it.

It really does show that they don't make them like this any more, both the car and the chap.

Very nice topic Joe
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Man dies at 102 owns same car 82 years
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
Now that's a great find.  :thumbup:

Lot's of history there.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
Good to see there are still some old chaps who don't know when to call it a day.

I don't know who'll last longest,  me or my old BMW.  Those of you who have seen the pic of the car will probably say I will.

Dave

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
Bogs, you have placed inspiration on here for us all with that.  I hope he had a great life.  Wonder if the original top lasted that long or if it was replaced at a time?   Ray  :clap:
Waco, Texas

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
Ray,

It wasn't me, Joe (75Plus) asked me to post it.

I can tell you one thing though, I was involved in making custom R-R's at the main factory in the early 80's, and I can guarantee they won't last as long as this one did. It was during that era that cost cutting was the norm.

Super glue and self tapping screws were used in abundance.

Bogs
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:11:41 PM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:40:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

Super glue and self tapping screws were used in abundance.

There used to be a saying in the garage trade that if you only had a dozen self-tappers left over after taking out a Jaguar dash board you were a careful and conscientious mechanic. :lol:
I suppose a good RR "technician" would only be left with a couple.
Ned
PS I don't think "they" were talking about Mr. Swift when they talk about 'buying the best means you only have to buy once', not even the most optimistic car maker could imagine keeping a car that long.
Having said that, about twenty years ago I stopped for a broken down Bentley, (she forgot to turn on the petrol) it seems her father bought the car in the early thirties, when it was three yeas old. Just a shame it is too late for me to own a car for 82 years. :(
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
I would like to know the total amount insurance paid for 82 years then compare that to the original cost of the motorcar.

I know one thing though; Ford and GM were not his biggest fans.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
At breakfast Saturday morning I discovered that R-R had an assembly plant in Springfield Mass. Established in 1921 and closed about 10 years later. Heard two reasons for the closure.

1. US buyers preferred English craftsmanship. (Not sure why, US craftsmanship in the 20's was second to none!)
2. R-R would not build them with left side steering.

I suppose you can make your own choice.

You can Google "Rolls-Royce in Springfield, MA" and find several articles.

Joe

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »
Hi Joe,
I seem to recall that in Japan they prefer their Limos to have left hand drive even though they drive on the correct side of the road. I believe the reasoning is that they like their chauffeurs to be on the kerb side, so as to let them out more quickly. Could it be that they got the idea from American RR owners, did US owners like their drivers near the kerb? Let us not forget that RR cars were never intended for owner drivers. Well not in the old world at least.
Ned

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
Hi Joe,
I seem to recall that in Japan they prefer their Limos to have left hand drive even though they drive on the correct side of the road.

I opted to not bring this up but since you have I would like to point out that RIGHT is a synonym of CORRECT. :lol: :lol:

Joe

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »
All of Europe used to travel on the left until Napoleon conquered each country in turn and then they were made to travel  on the right.

The reason being In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

The states that had resisted Napoleon kept left – Britain, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Portugal. This European division, between the left- and right-hand nations would remain fixed for more than 100 years, until after the First World War.
John Stevenson

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Hi Joe,
I also seem to recall that you, over there, used to drive on the correct (left) side of the road, until someone had a let's-be-different-just-to-be-awkward moment. I of course refer to quite recent times, late 18th early-19th century, well that is recent for us over here but I suppose for you it's nearly half your history.     :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still I guess we should be grateful to you lot over there, where would we be in the evening without NCIS or The Mentalist. And let us also be grateful to you, for every time you have Simon Cowell on your TV it means he cant be on ours. :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
Thanks
Ned

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
Ned,

where would we be in the evening without NCIS or The Mentalist.

If you used your brain, you would be in the shop.

Simon Cowell

One of the main reasons for having an OFF button. Public garbage.

I don't usually watch any television until very late evening, and then usually documentaries I have downloaded during the day.

But getting back to the R-R bit.

In the early days, there were few fixed models produced. R-R would make the driving chassis, and you would have your own favourite coachbuilder put a body to your liking onto it.
The 1980's Spirit had an initial production run of around 10 cars per day, and that was on a 'production line', the ones I worked on, somewhere between 3/4 and 1.5 cars per week. That ' hand built' line was with a team of about a dozen permanent workers, with ancilliary trades being called in when required.

In my days at the Crewe factory, we were attempting to do specials, like bullet proofing, custom driving positions etc in house, and making a terrible job of it. Most of the 'old guys' had left by that time, and the new whiz kid designers thought that if it could be drawn, then it could be made. How wrong they were. Rolls-Royce, by that time, had ceased being a 'hand made' car, with very few exceptions, and fast line production methods were attempting to be put in position.
While I was there, the chap that stored and looked after all the wood veneers down an old air raid shelter, to keep their moisture content and original colours, plus he also cut and matched them up for the whole interior, left to retire. There were many years of knowledge lost on that day, and the insides of the cars never quite looked right for many years after. He had done the job, mostly by himself, for nearly 50 years.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
Hi Bogs,
I am sure there are many who would question the brain and recently it has been far too damn cold to venture out trying to make anything. Happily things are improving, but sadly only on the weather front.

Oh, and the TV shows mentioned are all on or repeated late, so I can still watch them after a bit of shop time, while eating my Dinner.

From our point of view God must be having a laugh at our expense, you spend a lifetime learning something and then you die. Or perhaps he just uses our world to train up people for his world, I wonder what Brunel, Trevithick and Stephenson, or your veneer chap, are working on these days!
Ned

Offline DavidA

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
...I wonder what Brunel, Trevithick and Stephenson, or your veneer chap, are working on these days!...

Probably sat in some celestial pub arguing who's project was biggest,  best,  or technically most advanced for his day.

Engineers don't change much;  only the projects.

Dave.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »
Some deep thoughts here.

Life is a bit cruel to say the least, you do spend a life time learning, perfecting and dialing your skills only to face old age, ill-health, lost  vision and a thirst for more knowledge with the awareness of time is speeding up.
 I remember my grandmother telling me “you won’t need that Timex one day It will not be able to keep up” Lord! I know what she meant now.

I remember reading a few years ago about a chap in Spain who spent all his life building a chapel on his own, he would beg for food and any material to keep his project going, they say he made drawings of the structure, they were so well drawn and perfect in every way, yet he knew he would never live to see the completion but work on it he did anyway until he died.

I am trying in my own mind to adopt this guy’s attitude perseverance, but I feel he knew more than what I am seeing.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
Don't plan for the future in too much detail.  When it arrives you can be sure it won't be quite what you expect.

Dave.