Author Topic: knurling tool supplies  (Read 6151 times)

Offline ieezitin

knurling tool supplies
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
Fellas.

In the near future I will be building a scissor type knurling tool, i am having trouble finding a supplier here state side for the knurling heads themselves.
Not only do I need to see what types are available but I need dimensions so I can put that on my drawing.  Anyone out there knows of a good supplier?.

Many thanks in advance   Anthony.

A little edit here. I should add I have found suppliers but they all sell the Asian manufactured parts, I don’t want to design my tool with inferior parts installed only to find the inserts go blunt and or snap after one use, so either a USA or European manufactured part is what I desire.

Again   Thanks   Anthony.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:19:36 PM by ieezitin »
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Jasonb

Re: knurling tool supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »
J&L here sell the Interstate knurls so you should be able to get them from MSC. Though they may be made by JHL

Jason
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:41:02 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
A little edit here. I should add I have found suppliers but they all sell the Asian manufactured parts, I don’t want to design my tool with inferior parts installed only to find the inserts go blunt and or snap after one use, so either a USA or European manufactured part is what I desire.

Sounds like you tried all of the ones here in the states. MSC, ENCO, McMaster all should have specs on what your looking for.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:42:03 AM »
Hi Anthony,

I wouldn't dismiss the Asian ones, at least for hobby use. Here in the UK, I have had a scissor knurler made by Soba (Indian, I think) and it is still going strong with its original diamond knurling wheels. It has been used mainly on mild steel.

You asked about dimensions. 0.75" diameter seems the norm over here. The Soba ones are 0.370" wide, and a set of wheels from a different source are 0.366". The Soba ones have about 5 thou axial play on their shafts, but I don't think that matters too much - in use, they soon settle down as they begin to bite the workpiece.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline owenh

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:44:37 AM »
check out travers.com they will have them
owen

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
Andy.

I have tried and tried to purchase tooling and other items made in the Far East and most times I have been bitten, I am just fed up with buying stuff of this quality and getting shafted along the line with a failure because I like a lot of people had to penny pinch.

I am lucky in the fact my shop is nearly complete and I need few tooling and other bits and bobs to keep running,  now I have the luxury to exclusively buy top quality materials or tooling to keep me happy, I don’t and will not trust anything made in China.

I thank you for your advice.   Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline JTisher

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »
check out pts-tools they have a good selection
their online catalog only shows imports :(
Their print catalog about 60 made by durian tool in USA :) 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:22:20 PM by JTisher »