Author Topic: My taig  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Mark132

My taig
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:10:52 AM »

My taig.
Ratcheting handles in place of certain cap and thumb screws. Tool post milled down to accept handle and a reverse side boring bar holder. 2inch 4 jaw self centering chuck. I will try to get pics of more of the workshop soon.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: My taig
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »
Hi Mark.
Nice to see working pics! With some swarf........   :D

Thanks for showing!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
Hiya Mark!  :wave:

1st Welcome to the collective :borg:

Nice looking Taig you got there. With chips even!

Saw this in another thread:

I tinker a bit with a small Taig Lathe that I use to modify antique and modern yo-yos,

What's this about modifying yo-yos? Sounds very cool. Please start a thread, as I for one would like to see more. I have always wanted to either build or modify a yo-yo.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:07 PM »
Good little lathe, Mark.  I use one too, and wouldn't want to do without it.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Mark132

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:38:49 AM »
I will go to the shop and snap some yo-yo photos. Most of the stuff i do includes structural mods that make a modern low end yo-yo play like a high end advanced yo-yo. Lately i've been stock piling old Duncan Butterflies and Duncan Wheels on Ebay from the 60s, 70s and 80s and converting their fixed axle to a ball bearing transaxle and response system.

here is a link to hold you over until I get Some good working project yo-yo pics.
http://yoyowiki.org/wiki/Yo-yo_Modifications

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
HI thers sum brill work bin made on them lathes    :nrocks:

Offline Mark132

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:08:57 AM »
Saturday:
My brother is a music major and has been making and experimenting with making orchestra conducting batons with my taig. He has taken a more freehand/woodturners approach to it. I got him a bearing center for the tailstock and a wood turners tool rest to go on my lathe and a set of turning tools for x-mas. We actually found an older taig on craigslist locally today and bought it for $50. It was a total steal. Much better condition than I anticipated, very smooth, only really needs a belt and new mounting board, which I have.
Anyway, I've been trying to contribute and help with figuring out the lathe and help him with designs. We got some Wood and acrylic pen blanks from woodcraft and some dowels for the shaft.

Here is one of the ones I made.

It is one of the cool marble swirl looking blanks.For the handle,  I drilled a 3/16" hole all the way through And only cut with the taig radius turner. I turned a small aluminum round to plug the bottom of the hole. Used a milling collett and the bearing center to hold the long shaft to be sanded to a point. Hope to have more photos of these soon. We are setting up my brothers lathe tomorrow and should be turning out several of the batons.

Sunday:
As mentioned above I found an older taig on craigslist that my brother bought for $50. After a new belt, a new mounting board (a discarded piece of formica countertop that matches the rest of the newly redone workshop), and a good cleaning, and a new plug and switch it was up and running.

Mine in the foreground working on a baton shaft dowel and his in the back turning a handle out of zebrawood. I made a small aluminum adapter to center the 12" dowel on the needle bearing tailstock while the other end is in a milling collett. I'm using a scrap piece of 8" inch long 1/4" steel bar in the toolpost as a flex support for shaping the shaft to a tapered point.