Author Topic: What I have done in the 5 minuets I have  (Read 10417 times)

Offline ieezitin

What I have done in the 5 minuets I have
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
Hi guys,
Its been awhile since I last posted, due to the terrible economy over here my own business has suffered a lot and I had to get a job working in a quarry to make up for the low income, they got me 60 hours a week hard facing the be-jesus out of everything metal that the rock touches as it goes too and from the crusher units.
My schedule is 3.30 pm to 1.30am 6 days a week to which I don’t mind too much because it allows me to service my existing customers that still require my help so I would like to share a little of what I do in my spare time to make ends meat, sorry to say I don’t get much machining time which I miss but at least I have a job!

Here is a rather large John Deere tractor that one of its many tasks is to in the autumn load the big square bales onto trailers ready for hauling, this client likes to load two at a time to save in loading costs and time, the problem he was having was the top bale would lurch forward and tend to want to fall towards him and land on the bonnet of the unit and crush it so I made a simple crush bar to prevent the load shifting.

My next project was to improve the front end of a International tractor that was made in the seventies, the owner has completely restored the unit and spived it all up and made it into a Tractor Pull unit, this is where they attach a sled to the back of it with a weight on a conveyor, as the unit blasts down the track the weight creeps forward and steadily applies more pressure to the unit eventually stopping the whole show the further you get makes you the winner. What I built for him was the front end weight rack combined oil cooler reservoir tank fixture, they weigh the front end down for obvious reasons and it was his design to install the oil tank to give him a little advantage.

My next job really bothered the crap out of me!. My good friend and client Henry who farms 2000 acres around the corner from me phoned and asked me to rush over the farm and help dig out that John Deere tractor pictured in the first few pics, he just that week purchased from a John Deere dealership a fork lift attachment for his rig, and was lifting a grain feeder trailer in the air to move it over to another pasture to feed ducks, halfway across the field the load tilted and smashed to the floor and slid in a berm mangling one of the forks, on inspection the weld failed. As you can see in the pictures there was no weld to hold the load, when will industry learn to stop importing products from the far east that have no engineering standards to adhere to and market and sell the product here with a brand name plastered on it  giving the impression you are getting quality, this could have killed someone least of all do severe damage to equipment. Yet they still expect loyalty to there brand name. you make your own mind up! BTW i stripped the other one down and repaired it too.

I got a call from a friend who told me he was bringing over a dump truck that needed the back end re-skinned, i hate this type of work because you can loose money on it, but low and behold this was a dream to work on and he got a deal of a lifetime, this is a GM dump truck equivalent to a Ford F-650, was made in 2007 with 6000 miles on the clock, he got it off Ebay for $8000 . This was a salt truck that belonged to some county in Georgia (where it snows once every 20 years) the nit-wits piled salt into the bed and left it in and over the years the salt ate through the skin, some humble public servant of that said county wrote off at tax payers’ expense the truck as it was not safe and my buddy landed his deal, it was only the bed that was trashed, the frame was perfect with rust-cote, hydraulics and take offs were in mint condition, by the time I had finished this work he had tripled his investment.

Next Wednesday in my lunch hour I have a little tiging to do on the space shuttle!   ::)  God Bless.  Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
Re: What I have done in the 5 minuets I have
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
Next Wednesday in my lunch hour I have a little tiging to do on the space shuttle!    ::) 

Ha!  Well, it was funny to me, Anthony.  Yeah, back when I was building rockets for the gubment, I used to do it in my spare time, too.  ; )

Nice show here.  I'm guessing you're a pipe welder.  Let me know if I'm far off the mark. 
I can't imagine those forks came from a JD dealer.  Surly not made by JD.  As a welder myself, I've done a lot of work on
equipment, and have never seen anything like that on a factory item.  That's not even up to a farmer weld standard.
You fixed it up well and proper, though. 
Nice job skinning the truck bed.  Done a few of those too.  A 'least favorite' job for me, also.

Good pics.  Thanks.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Dean
Yes I am a pipe welder, and there is a boat load of work here in the USA if you care to travel, but I have had more than my fare share of living in Motel 6 and washing my underwear in my lunch cooler every night  so I choose to stick around the house and make a daily crust.

About the attachment, he purchased it from one of the Eastern shores (MD) largest John Deere dealerships, I won’t mention the name but not hard to figure out. Henry only buys John Deere all his fleet is such, this unit is a baby compared to some of the rigs he owns,  so you can only imagine how much he spends on capital equipment. I cannot swear this attachment is a John Deere but what I can tell you it came from a John Deere dealership with a $3100 price tag.  The payment sure reflects a John Deere product!.

Thanks for the compliments on the job, the irony on all this is I probably voided his warranty on the attachment ha ha ha .     :poke:   

Anthony.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
I have to say Anthony, very nice welding job. Wish I could weld like that. I've got a mig and keep practicing though. I take it those are stick welds?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
Bernd
Yes, all the tractor repairs were stick, the dump truck was mig. I must say I have not Mig welded anything for a while and my buddy loaned me a Lincoln Power Mig 180 230v for this job that I ran from my Miller 250 diesel and I can tell you Mig welding technology has excelled in the last 5 years, I was impressed with its capabilities and output. The unit cost him $850 total and let me say that little feller ran .035 wire giving me a bead 5/16 with ample penetration with 100% duty cycle. I sucked through two bottles of C02 and one and a half reels of wire (18lbs) for the whole job, consumables value of $105. 

Anthony.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »
I do like to see a weld with good penitration

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
Hi guys,
Its been awhile since I last posted, due to the terrible economy over here my own business has suffered a lot and I had to get a job working in a quarry to make up for the low income, they got me 60 hours a week hard facing the be-jesus out of everything metal that the rock touches as it goes too and from the crusher units.

Been there, done that and I feel your pain.
Hardfacing work is probably not the way any of us would chose to make a living but as you say, it pays the bills.

Spent some time 'facing on trencher chains. Big machines on rental, and very expensive to have on site. We were working in urban areas and they would not let us run the welder gennys at night. All the welding had to be done during the day. Of course that was the only time they could dig too, so there was always a lot of pressure to get the work finished and get the things digging again. Not the happiest times.

That is some very tidy welding in those pics, thanks for showing them. Never get tired of seeing that kind of work done well.

On the subject of John Deere equipment. I've been doing some work for the owner of a local golf course on his ground maintenance machines. Lightweight stuff compared to the ag. machinery, but even so I'm surprised to see JD even put their name on some of it. Snapped engine mounts, failed attachment links, hydraulic ram pivots that have simply torn out, and in one case a front suspension wishbone that folded up letting the chassis rail hit the ground at about 10mph. A lot of it is down to weld failure. And a lot of that seems to be robot-welded parts with poor penetration or faults in the base metal. Sadly, it looks like even the mighty JD are building down to price these days.

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:38:20 PM »
Anthony,

Are you Hardfacing with Chromium carbide?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:41:15 PM by bry1975 »

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
Bry.
No I am using just 7018-5/32 on the plate seam only and on the face plates where they take full impact of the rock, usually every two months during production you have to get into the bin liners ( where the rock falls) and replace other parts in there so they figure they just touch up then. But the real reason is they don’t like paying for the high grade quality rods and or plate stock for they cannot justify the cost, that’s all hog wash to me for in the past I have welded with Ranite™ 35 on material and it lasts five times as long as anything.

Anthony.

MrFluffy

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Really nice work, and those forks are shocking. It seems like whoever made them put absolutely no effort into pre weld fitup to get the joint right. I have a properly made pair of genuine jcb pallet forks to adapt onto my jcb 3c (it doesnt have the mounts on the bucket or a pivot bar yet) and if it comes out as nice as your work Ill be happy.

For the john deere, not to derail your thread too much (as I seem to have a knack of doing, sorry), the lighter JD stuff is now usually made by someone else and rebadged JD under some marketing agreement. So the only thing JD about it is the colour and the badges. I have a "John Deere" badged lawn tractor the kids use round the garden as a sort of gocart, and its got the usual pressed steel frame, a briggs vertical crank lawnmower engine and looks a LOT like a certain budget generic brand which is 1/5th the price. If you go the local JD dealer, amongst the heavy kit and tractors etc are these "JD" badged items with no relation at all to the quality of fabrication or design...

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
Mr fluffy.

It’s my thread and all comments are welcome.

Your remarks on the marketing and somewhat licensing agreement shroud is 100% dead on, we have right now at our quarry a Caterpillar  980 earthmoving machine being built on site to add to our inventory, we purchase a new one every 3 years on average, the cost runs $690,000 a piece, all the bits arrived on trailers and a Caterpillar rep is there on site supervising the contractors piecing it together and when I came to the welding of the frame and struts my higher boss was watching closely on the quality of workmanship.
 Then this flea bitten welding truck pulled up and strung out his stuff and started zipping up the joints, at the end of the day he asked me to go over and inspect the work, now my opinion of welders is pretty realistic, they aint the picture perfect rendition of super clean, sharp image work hero’s but with a truck bed of empty beer cans and tape around his burning hoses this guy has something to be desired, his welds looked like a pidgin crawled up the joint and said thank you for dinner.

My boss stopped the work and phoned Caterpillar, hence them flying a guy out next Wednesday to resolve the problem, we as a company do not own the machine until its complete and sold to us, it sits there as we speak with no owner and its costing Caterpillar money, I assure you they will slide in a top notch company to finish the welding job.

Anthony.