Author Topic: New welding project  (Read 11584 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
New welding project
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
This one will use a propane tank and be road worthy :D I came up with a way to easily remove the valve also. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow.

(o:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: New welding project
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
I've been riding my bicycle to work and back trying to get into better shape. Sometimes I need to carry a little more that I can on my bike. So I decided that I needed a small trailer. I did some research and came across some that had a single wheel. I decided that is what I wanted.

The weather wasn't as nice today so I didn't get very far. But I did get most of my pieces rounded up. It will be made of mainly found items and stuff I already have lying around. I need to do a little more cutting and grinding. But I think it will look and work nice.

Later, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
Good start, Wes.  Surly will be the most solid bike trailer around!
How's the snow been in your neck of the woods?  We're getting it again right now, as usual,
but they say we have sunny days ahead, and temps in the teens.  Crisp!  ; )

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
The last week or so it has been beautiful!!! Friday and Saturday I worked outside with a light vest on. I think it got to 48 degrees? We installed a spa a couple weeks ago and I have been upgrading our patio where it is. There was old ceder lattice, that was falling apart,  where the new white polycarbonate panels are now. This stuff went up pretty fast. I think it was more work removing the lattice. As soon as the weather gets really nice, I'll be replacing the roof. Both on the house and the patio.

I rode in the snow a week ago though.

Later, Wes

Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
Leave it to you to come up with a great idea like using a propane cylinder.  :thumbup:

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »
Went crazy with the thin cuts earlier. The tank cut out really nice. I also trimmed up the bicycle forks a little. It should make a nice trailer.

I'm going to make a jig to hold things straight when I weld it up. It will double as a jig to line up the forks for my Penny when I weld them.

I like how it's turning out :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Wes

:wave:
Wesley P

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:45:58 PM »
This is looking very cool!

How are things at Kodiak?

AL
I skin cats my own way!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »
Thanks!

Work is good. Were pretty busy though. They finally got the big old CNC fixed. Now I run two mills at a time. I'm getting better with the 4th axis, but it still makes me nervous.

Have you seen my molding bench? If not I can take some pictures for you. It works great!!!

Wes
Wesley P

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
Wes:

That's a great idea.  I made a two wheeled trailer several years ago using wheels and frame fittings from Wike:

http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_diy_kit_bicycle_trailer.php

These are easy to build as it involves a bit of aluminum square bar, a hacksaw and a drill.

At the time I planned to carry quite a bit of weight and my folding bike won't take a one wheeled trailer.  It worked out well considering that I don't weld but yours looks more interesting and in the long run more useful.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

John.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
Looks pretty neat, Wes.  You have enough propane tank left to make a trailer for Mrs. Powder Keg, too.
Do you both ride to work?
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
Looks pretty neat, Wes.  You have enough propane tank left to make a trailer for Mrs. Powder Keg, too.
Do you both ride to work?

Maybe it's going to be upholstered so Mrs Powder Keg can travel in style.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
I don't recall seeing your molding bench, but then I'm starting recall less and less!  I am going to start building one soon to get all the foundry stuff and sand mess all in one place.

AL
I skin cats my own way!

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
Thats a pretty slick idea, considering the price of gas in the US right now.   I'll have to go get a few bicycles and tanks from a yard I know of and make a couple so we can afford to buy food this summer.