Author Topic: Tumbler Trials & Tribulations  (Read 88628 times)

Offline snub

• Canada
Re: Tumbler Trials & Tribulations
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2011, 01:10:12 AM »
^

Well, Rio Grande sells 10# of untreated shells for $14.95. The treated shells are 11# for $73.85. That's a big jump, but there may be a lot of expensive polish and/or processing costs.

I will have a look at the green rouge you mention. Only problem is...I have no idea what 'rouge' is. The only thing that comes to mind is that is/was something that women use for makeup. ?

Offline 1hand

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2011, 01:14:33 AM »
This is cob media with green rouge. 6lbs and can be bought at any sporting goods dept. in the reloading for $15.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2011, 01:59:08 AM »
This is cob media with green rouge. 6lbs and can be bought at any sporting goods dept. in the reloading for $15.

Well, Rio Grande sells 10# of untreated shells for $14.95.

The treated shells are 11# for $73.85.

Graves Tumble Dry GREEN 5# 23.87  10# then  $47.74
http://www.gravescompany.com/grit.htm

7# bird litter  walnut shell 9.99  petsmart

Robert

Edit   Graves, documented results within this thread, you knew it would come round didnt ya :) or the reloading media. Price reasonable, difference is? heck if I know right now. Tad more looking to see what the flavor is. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:08:43 AM by foozer »
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:58 AM »
Another one that i have seen used in a thread elswhere a long time ago was Perlite. You can get this from the garden centre as it is used for drainage in pots. It is a very light material which is also used as a refactory in homemade furnaces. May be worth a shot? here it is about £3-£4 a bag.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline 1hand

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
After about 40 hrs, we are about 65% of the way there. The peice on the left is the orginal, and the one on the right is the one I been tumbling. Though the looks aren't that noticable, the feel is. The tumbled one is silky smooth. I think The way I went about the deburring stage has added to the time in restoring the finish.

Matt

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
Looking good

Debur stage, pre-polish stage and final polish. I see a lot of reference to pre-polish as media with a cutting compound (ie. walnut with rouge) and the final polish as media with a lubricant or rather a compound with no cutting action.

Rotary is a slow and go but its starting to be a looker. Now that's being done with compound and red rouge?  rio burnishing compound ?

Robert

Offline 1hand

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Looking good

Debur stage, pre-polish stage and final polish. I see a lot of reference to pre-polish as media with a cutting compound (ie. walnut with rouge) and the final polish as media with a lubricant or rather a compound with no cutting action.

Rotary is a slow and go but its starting to be a looker. Now that's being done with compound and red rouge?  rio burnishing compound ?

Robert

SS shot, water, Rio burnishing compound powder.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »

The Flitz? or Super Sunsheen Burnishing Compound
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:58:51 PM by foozer »

Offline 1hand

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »

The Flitz? or Super Sunsheen Burnishing Compound

The dry #920, I use about a tble spoon per water change.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
Page 438 of the reo catalog

Corn absorbs moisture, so reasons that it'll turn to mush, Like the walnut shell and simichrome mention. Off to get some

Robert

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
Nothing major

Tried what will be a flywheel rim made from brass in a 2 hour tumble steel shot to debur the edges. Fresh turned brass can be sharp, can now run the fingers over the edges with no cuts at all. Really starting to like this process just for the debur. Even running a piece of sandpaper over sharp edges can look out of proportion, too roundly for the scale and I do remember the time the sharp edge ran right thru the paper into my finger.

Dry shot, tumbler, couple hours, working so far

Robert

Edit  edges pixalated  my chepo camera

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
Happy happy Joy Joy, Did my good deed for the day. Let the "Magic Smoke" out of the tumbler. Be free oh Magic Smoke! Funny how that happens once in a while  :bang:

So now that I see the innards are nothing special time to look around and see what I can cobble up.

Got a bit carried away looking at the vibratory action, like a cat with a mouse, played with the toy till it quit moving. hate it when that happens.

Edit: purely my fault, probably wasnt a good idea to put some rail road spikes in it to see how it would do

Tumbler 1
Me 0

Can see the windings got just a tad excited letting go of the "Magic Smoke"

Robert
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:57:41 PM by foozer »

Offline 1hand

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »
 :ddb:

12hrs in rotary, wet with pins
24hrs in rotary, wet with shot
24hrs in vibratory, dry with cob and green rogue.

Like a mirror now. Working on second batch, will post pics when done.

Matt

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
Sounds like a happy camper

Robert

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »
Got my rump down to HF today and picked up another tumbler, even on sale YA. This time got the you break it we will replace it warranty. Naw, can't pack up the last one I toasted and pass it off to them for a replacement, every time I go to pull a stunt like that the karma comes around and bites me. Example being, just thinking bout it couple days ago and, you know whats worse than getting your car stuck in a ditch full of snow? when its the ditch in your own driveway approach. Then it was break a tap, plus chip a tooth eating Neccos, and I really like Neccos. Thats enough for one day and thought.

Got some pieces in it now with ceramic media for a first pass to knock off the rough edges and minor tool marks.

Hows the second batch 1hand?

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Ran a few pieces for 12 hours with wet ceramic media. Now it says moderate aggressive removal. OK?  Other than doing a fine job of deburing the edges to which shot does as well, no real evidence of tool mark removal is seen. Another run to town, see what else is around.

Hmm? I think I am detecting a pattern to the shapes I like

Robert

Offline 1hand

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Everything went fine. My pieces all came of the lathe though. All are round with no tooling marks visable to the eye when starting. End finish is a mirror IMHO. Thats doing the SS pins, shot, then the dry. I haven't delt with milling marks yet.

Matt

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23:44 AM »
24 hours in walnut shell with a tube of Simichrome added. Just a hojboj of pieces. As stated earlier if the pieces have tool marks you'll end up with polished tool marks.

The crankshaft shows the non tumbled (left) vs the tumbled (right) supports. If I were to try and polish with a wheel the edges would loose there crispness.  When the next batch of abrasive media gets here I'll see how it tackles what I cannot escape, toolmarks.

Robert

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:17 PM »
foozer,
Which tumbler did you get from HF....I bought the 18lb vibratory tumbler about 5-6 weeks ago and it seems to be working great.  I am using their ceramic media mixed with the plastic triangular media with water/dawn dish soap.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
foozer,
Which tumbler did you get from HF....I bought the 18lb vibratory tumbler about 5-6 weeks ago and it seems to be working great.  I am using their ceramic media mixed with the plastic triangular media with water/dawn dish soap.

Got the 5 lb model, this time with the warranty in case I burn another up.  Got some of the green triangle thingies from Eastwood as a media to get rid of tool marks. Use wet with drop of Dawn. Leaves a nice matt finish, downside is the god awful aroma it generates interacting with the plastic barrel (stink is an understatement) Use walnut shells with a tube of Simichrome mixed in for final.

Robert

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I make some hand forged rings from coins. I give them a fast polish on the lathe and toss them in a pill bottle of wet sand and tumble them a 1/2 hour by chucking the bottle in the lathe running slow. After that I buff them and they come out nice.

I will make a thread about my hand made coin rings, I fold them over and try to preserve all the details I can. they make nice gifts. I even use some old MT2 and mt3 dead centers as forming mandrels.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »

I will make a thread about my hand made coin rings, I fold them over and try to preserve all the details I can. they make nice gifts. I even use some old MT2 and mt3 dead centers as forming mandrels.

Sounds very interesting   :thumbup:

Rob

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
I will make a thread about my hand made coin rings

Please do I would like to see them
Jason

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »
And me too

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)