Author Topic: Finally turning  (Read 4006 times)

Offline bigmini

Finally turning
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
After 25 years of wishing since learning to use a lathe at work, I finally have my own :beer:. It's a Titan 210V, which seems to sit size wise in between a mini lathe and a 9x20. It's Chinese, with all that that entails, but I'm having fun getting it into shape and relearning all the stuff I've forgotten.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Finally turning
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:49 AM »
After 25 years of wishing since learning to use a lathe at work, I finally have my own :beer:. It's a Titan 210V, which seems to sit size wise in between a mini lathe and a 9x20. It's Chinese, with all that that entails, but I'm having fun getting it into shape and relearning all the stuff I've forgotten.

Hope you and your new friend have a great time together.  :thumbup:

Remembering all the techniques, which have been gathering dust in the back of your brain, for all those years.  ::)

A bit like riding a bike. It does come back...... Enjoy!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bryan

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:29:11 AM »
Welcome Bigmini. You're a bit like me. I did some machining as a youngster and loved it. Don't know why I didn't look for an apprenticeship. To young and restless I guess. Have come back to it as a mid-life hobby and having a ball. Maybe if I'd made it my career it wouldn't be fun any more. Plenty of burned out machinists selling insurance or whatever. Have you started thinking about a mill yet? You will.  :med:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »
jump in and have fun

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Hi there  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
 :wave:  Welcome.  Enjoy, ask questions and tell us of your hobby experiences and don't forget pictures. 

Ray
Waco, Texas

Offline narrowgauger

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »
Hi Bigmini

welcome to the clan

what condition was the Titan 210V in when delivered.

If it was anything like mine received mid January, you will be having a great deal of fun in getting all the bugs out.  The one we received had 27 serious faults, of which at least 3 will require some serious work to correct.

have fun
Narrowgauger

Offline bigmini

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Hi Bigmini

welcome to the clan

what condition was the Titan 210V in when delivered.

If it was anything like mine received mid January, you will be having a great deal of fun in getting all the bugs out.  The one we received had 27 serious faults, of which at least 3 will require some serious work to correct.

have fun
Narrowgauger

Well, it IS Chinese. ::) I pretty much got the next crate from the stack in the warehouse, It was opened in front of me to check that the factory hadn't left any extra spares in there (They sometimes do) and we started it in the warehouse to make sure it ran. QC done! :lol:

I pretty much got it out of the crate when I got home, cleaned off the red goop, bolted it to an old desk, lubed it up and turned it on after checking the flatness of the bed and so on with a spirit level. I bought some drill rod and centre drilled the ends to align the tailstock between centres using a dial gauge.

When I mounted it, I deliberately only used one bolt at each end so that the desk wouldn't put a twist into the bed. I can still part off 3/4" steel hex bar with it (slowly). I have to face the ends after, but nothing flies off or breaks since I reground the top edge of the parting off tool with an angle to stop it leaping out of the holder.. :zap:

I've really only had minor issues, and none have stopped me using it. I would like to get the compound and cross slide working more smoothly (They both only have three gib screws. They really need five). I would like the dial on the compound to rotate with the handwheel and not on its own. It would have been nice to not have to grind the corner off the base of the moving steady make it fit, and it would have been nice if the same moving steady didn't have missing portions of the casting filled up with bog and painted over.

I like that the speed control goes down low enough to actually use it for threading. I like that the tailstock has a lever lock on it that fixes it perfectly inline with the headstock every time (after I adjusted it anyway). I like that it doesn't cost or weigh much more than a regular mini lathe, but it has more capacity and more power.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
Hi bigmini

Welcome to MadModer. Glad to see that you are getting down and dirty with your new machine. Doing it that way you will understand it so much better and in my opinion have a better machine for it. A little TLC can never go wrong when applied properly. Here is to a long and happy relationship with your lathe and MadModder.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best