Author Topic: Got snow! a snow rake that is?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Got snow! a snow rake that is?
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
As a lot of the members have had more snow than normal this year. My parents wanted me to clear off the snow from the ice dam line. They have a single story ranch. I had made 2 roof snow rakes a couple years ago, one for there's and one for me. Since I had a couple of the extension roller poles a 16 and 24 footers. I used the 16 for theirs and the 24 for mine as it is a 2 1/2 story.

The one at my parents my mother, has become lost in my mother filing system. Which is putting it in the boat in the garage and then piling money things on top of everything in the boat. Mostly rag rugs which are heavy. You know one can never have to many throw rugs.

So I made a new one, here it is.

rake pole and cleaned area on the shop roof

The taper adapter for the pole end and the conduit clamp to fit the pole. the adapter screws on the end of the roller pole. So if I ever need to use the pole again.

here is looking down from above, the rake head needs about a 45" angle for the single story, from the pole.  there are two 3/4"x1/8" strap iron braces, a 45'PVC electrical fitting 3/4" elbow, a short piece of steel tubing to fit as a connector between the elbow and the  floor squeegee frame, a piece of Lexan with rounded corners so it won't dig in to the shingles if it is dropped on the roof.  Assorted bolts and nuts, a long bolt and nut or a clevis pin with clip for a locking pin. Cut the adapter to fit flush with the elbow end, then I epoxy it in place and put a self tapper in.

I drilled one hole about 3 inches from each end, one at the handle to hold the clevis pin when the pole is in the closed position. And one when it is in the open position.

You can use sheet metal for the blade, since that is the material most of the ones for sale are made from.  To problems with the ones they sell are the tubing handles are light weight and tend to bend or break. And they only come with two 5 foot sections, each one is $10.00 or so for additions. Plus you couldn't buy one in the area. They were bought up with in hours.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:02:54 PM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

MrFluffy

Re: Got snow! a snow rake that is?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
Thats useful.
Incidentally but related, they put little metal hooks dotted round the roof on slated roofing here,  lots of people think they are ladder hooks as they are shaped in a way to suggest that, but they are designed to break up heavy falls of snow as it falls as usually the structure underneath can't take xyz ton of snow sitting on it. Ive been watching since learning this and they actually work for that purpose too.

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
shoot with that much snow on the roof i would not even bother now if it were a foot or so the ya you would have a problem.
but its a cool snow scrapper. :beer:

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
Most of the snow comes off that roof by itself as it is 14 in 12 pitch, that rake is for my 2 story house and my parents that had 16" to 30" on it. When I have the roof redone in the spring on mine, I will be having 6 feet of ice dam and all the valley's covered in it!
I just needed a photo, for those in climes that don't get the white stuff  :lol:

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen