Author Topic: Just bought a new toy, can you guess what my other hobby is? ...  (Read 18917 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Just bought a new toy, can you guess what my other hobby is? ...
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »

Going into work a bit later so I can tax it in the morning, then steady away to work in it for the first time!  :)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Just bought a new toy, can you guess what my other hobby is? ...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
Very nice. Very flashy.  :headbang:

Not sure what it is tho... Help us over here in the States.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »
Its one of little carts the meter Maids use, See the steering wheel is on the wrong side so she can put the parking tickets on easier :)

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »
golf?

:thumbup: Nice motor.

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:18:20 AM »
It's a Vauxhal VX220, possibly known as the Opel Speedster everywhere else. Think it's based on the Lotus Elise but sure NickG will fill us in with all the details

Never driven one myself but apparently it's great fun !!  

You're a lucky man Nick, my mrs would never let me get near a car like that  :D

Jim

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:27:06 AM »
Lovely! I'm envious, both of the car and the ability to get in and out of it without a struggle. At my age, I need transport which is a bit further above sea level.

Andy.
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:00:26 AM »
Cheers guys  :lol: the steering wheel is on the correct side and it has a manual gearbox as any sports car should!!!  :thumbup:

Jim is exactly right. It's called a Vauxhall VX220, there were two versions, a 2.0 Turbo charged one 930kg and 200bhp and a 2.2 normally aspirated, 875kg and approx 150bhp. Both mid engined rear wheel drive. Unfortunately mine is the latter but it's still good fun. They were build along side the Lotus Elise in their factory so a very similar car in many respects but use many different components.

Jim, the wife is none too impressed but such is life, I had a good plan and compromised earlier in the year and bought a nice Vauxhall Vectra as a family car for her!

Andy, I haven't mastered getting into and out of it yet. The first time this morning was almost a crawl out job - highly embarrassing with the neighbour watching. I'll get there though!

Nick

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
At 6'5" tall, and quite wide, I actually did have to crawl out of a Lotus Elise... in a bloody showroom. How I managed to get in the thing I'll never know. How I got out is, well, a sorry tale indeed.

Sadly, I will never own a VX220 for that reason. A Monaro or VXR8 on the other hand.....  :)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
In my neck of the woods it wouldn't last five minutes.

Dave.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »
a 2.0 Turbo charged one 930kg and 200bhp and a 2.2 normally aspirated, 875kg and approx 150bhp. Both mid engines rear wheel drive.

Nick

Must be a kick to drive tho, Turbo, they are wonderful things but there is such a thing as too much power for those of us who tend to , what the heck once in a while. Had a chance to drive a converted 66 Chevy Corvair for a while with a 350 small block in the back seat. Aside from it being death on wheels, the fact that it was death on wheels made it so much fun. It didn't come alive till around eighty (mph), course it also tended to get a tad squirrelly as the speedo just kept climbing. If you wanted to risk blowing the transaxle, it was great fun to side up to a porsche on the freeway at 60mph, drop down a gear and smoke up the tires while doing a rocket away. Really red faced when the trans blew.

Ah to be young again.

Enjoy your toy, keep it under 90

Robert

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
Cor. Nick!  :bugeye:
That's a bit nice!  :thumbup:

Oh, to be young again..... And rich!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
Hi AdeV,
Being of a similar stature, well nearly, you will have to grow a little bit, the only Lotus I found comfortable was an Elan 2+2. I could sit in it with legs straight, which surprised the heck out of me. Now though I doubt I could bend enough in the middle to get in or out of one.
Other than that, I echo David D. Mine you if someone were nice enough to give me one I would feel duty bound to try and fit in it and terrorize the neighbourhood. :thumbup:
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Pete.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
...can you guess what my other hobby is? ... 

Hairdressing?

Only kidding :D :D :D

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
...can you guess what my other hobby is? ...  

Hairdressing?

Only kidding :D :D :D

Pete ,That's not Fair  there Called Stylist now:lol:    PS, I am just sad I could not get it it these days,
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:45:10 PM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
Jim, the wife is none too impressed but such is life, I had a good plan and compromised earlier in the year and bought a nice Vauxhall Vectra as a family car for her!
Nick

In our house I would be the one driving the Vectra! :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

Sadly, I will never own a VX220 for that reason. A Monaro or VXR8 on the other hand.....  :)

I tried to buy a 'Maloo' which was the ute version of the Australian Monaro but the dealer was a prick whereas the Ford guy was totally different.  That how I got to have Ford Tickford ute.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
My toy, not as nice as yours nor as fast, but a good hwyway cruiser. Turn on the air, set the cruise control and watch the gas gauge head for E. Just like old Iron

Robert

Offline kwackers

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:04 AM »
It's not a real 'sports car' though is it? What I'd do is lighten it - a lot, and remove the two superflous wheels...  :thumbup:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »
Ade, yeah they are pretty tricky. I'm getting there, I sit on the sill and slide in, then pull my legs in. To get out, legs out over sill and pull self up - it all looks a bit girly but it's fast so ok if nobody is watching! Either of the two cars you mentioned would be nice-  if we had USA fuel prices!

Robert, not had much chance to try it properly yet except for in a straight line-  it's pretty quick but it's really all about the handling, just coming off a round about today I got the first feeling of it, so direct, no body roll at all - brilliant fun but can see how it would catch you out if slippery.

Dave, it's straight in the garage when I get home and in a secure car park at work as I work for a munitions company so I'm ok on that front!

Thanks David, as Robert said, I just thought what the heck, if I don't do it now I probably never will! The cars I have will never be mine though, always the banks - this one belongs to Tesco!!!

:lol: Thanks Pete, it had to be said at some point!

John, a lot of people still swear by Fords over here - they are good, but they don't make any sports cars any more as such. The best at the moment is probably the Focus RS hot hatchback, it's a monster but it's front wheel drive.

Nice motor Robert. There is something about the big old american cars. Actually the guy I bought mine from was really into them and has some sort of chevy coming in a few days he had to make way for. I nearly bought a british classic before this (TR6 or GT6) but I will do that another day!

Kwackers  :thumbup: I very nearly went for my bike license but I bottled it. I just couldn't justify the cost as they really are a toy!

Nick

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »
Hi Nick,
If you had got your bike licence you might not think of them as toys.
Despite what you might think it does not rain every day. :D
Ned

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »
True, I'd be more worried about all the other idiot drivers on the road that don't see you. The performance vs money is very tempting but it'd cause massive arguments with the wife, mum & dad from a safety point of view!

Know quite a few keen bikers though - sounds great fun.

Nick

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
Hi Nick,
I believe there are statistics that show that a motorcycle in the right hands is the safest vehicle on the road. And for those who wonder whose are the "right hands", well UK Met Police motorcyclists, of course. To qualify "safest", the number of accidents per mile, or to be pedantic thousands of miles or even tens of thousands. Big white fairings and drivers knowing that there is a policeman behind it might cause other road users to be more careful, but there is nothing to stop you buying a big white fairing, too.
Ned
PS you might have guessed I fit on a bike more easily than I fit in a teeny-weeny little plastic sports car, doesn't stop me wanting one, though.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
Nick

That looks like a nice toy that you have there. Every man should have something like that. I noticed that in the first picture the car is backward with the steering on the right hand side.  :doh:

I am enclosing a picture of it the way it should have been build with normal left hand steering.  :lol: :lol:

Hope you like it. Be Safe.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »
I'd never get used to the left foot accelerator and right foot brake and clutch on your version, Don. Not to mention all the dials working the wrong way round :D

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 01:29:21 PM »
Good point Ned!

A guy at work is into his bikes, has a Triumph Speed Triple or something but is after a Daytona - I suggested a 675 as my mate has one but he said that he'd look like donkey kong on mario Kart if he got one of those!

Don ..noooo, what have you done to my car ?  :doh:  :lol:

It's brilliant so far, noisy,rattley and shakey but a driving experience like no other - except for a lotus elise, exige, caterham etc!

:lol: Nice 1 Andy!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »
Just found this info as it looks Canada could not make it's mind up???? :D

The Canadian version of the Model T was somewhat different than the popular American version. The driver’s door was an actual door, not a simulation as in the US model. And since driving preferences were not yet established in the early era of the automobile, the cars came with both left- and right-hand drive. It was priced at about $850, much lower than the Model C, so that more buyers could afford to have a car. In the first year of Canadian production, over 1,200 of the 20-horsepower cars were built; six years later, production was up over 18,700 Model Ts. As production grew and became more efficient over the years, the prices continued to drop for the Model T. by 1920, the car cost about $300.

http://www.suite101.com/content/canadas-first-production-carford-a25872
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
Nice little road rocket Nick  :thumbup:   

Thought I might finally put one of these up.... Since others have too.... Not the best pic' but you can see the most of it  ::)

Rear wheel and likes to sneak up and bite you when the road is damp  :bugeye:   :)

Only issue..... At 22 years old it's a constant project! (I know you had the Turbo and must know the feeling!) just fitted another head gasket last week, two new front calipers waiting to go on and a few other things like the clock and central locking to sort   :palm:

Enjoy your toy, keep it under 90
  Under???  :lol:   

just coming off a round about today I got the first feeling of it, so direct, no body roll at all - brilliant fun but can see how it would catch you out if slippery.

Do you have traction control on it? (so many cars do now)  If so have you tried it without?

Getting out.... Left hand on the A pillar, right foot on the floor, Right hand on the steering wheel and haul yourself out.... Man style  :thumbup:     :)

Have fun  :headbang:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Cheers Ralph,

Always wanted a cossie - very nice. I've still got my Ph 2 RS Turbo but that's turned into a long term project! One of my best mates has got his eyes on a cosworth though.

No traction control on mine, no power steering either - hate to say it but hopefully not too much to go wrong on it, no elec windows, no central locking etc etc. Unlike the elise it does have the luxury of servo assisted brakes and abs but that's as far as it goes! Have had it a bit sideways a few times in the damp conditions now - It's fairly controllable but the turbo version must be a bit of a nightmare like yours!

You're right about getting out, you can sort of hunch yourself up on the seat a bit which allows you to get one leg out, then hand on steering wheel as you say! Wife thought it was great fun watching me the first few days though  :lol:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
Ah, didn't realise you still had the turbo.... got to have something to fettle with  :lol:  They have a habit of becoming projects!

You can pick up cossies for reasonable money now.... You really have to know someone with a ramp and inspect it well though.... I did all that. Bodywork was/still is pretty damn good.... still destroyed the head the second day I owned it  :jaw:  :doh:  That was both annoying and expensive!

No PAS!! That'll be fun to park!? Suppose there's not much weight over the wheels though, and it reduced the overall weight by not having it.

Take your time getting used to it... I know people who sent a Lotus through a hedge on a quite ordinary bend!   :doh:  Got out of it ok though!

It shouldn't take too long to get the hang of the hauling out. Not fun being laughed at....   Bet the wife will want to use it in the summer though? Then... Revenge laughter  :thumbup:  :lol:

Enjoy  :)

Ralph.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
Yep, I did all the mechanical bits and bobs on the RS at great expense but I'm pretty useless at welding and bodywork so may have to pay someone to do that. It's sat for about 6 years now though  :palm:

Yeah it's fairly heavy steering at parking speeds, small steering wheel too but not too bad. In the wet it's a bit twitchy but you'd really have to be a hooligan to unstick it in the dry!

The wife stated point blank she wouldn't set foot in it when I bought it, but she caught me looking at pointless videos of them and elises on youtube the other night and now wants to try it - so it could indeed be revenge time!  :lol:

Just looked out of the window and it's absolutely chucking it down  :doh: looks like I'll be taking some kitchen roll out with me, these things aren't renowned for their water tightness - the hood bit's actually called a shower cape!

Offline Jonny

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »
Nice cars Nick with either engine.
Easy to tune up the ZE22 GM global engine used by 7 other manufacturers to my knowledge. Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Subaru, Opel/Vauxhall, two US makers. Parts off the shelf for 1000hp used in drag racing.
Theres a site specifically for that engine http://www.z22se.co.uk covering general repairs to full on mods, even EGR cheater been using one for 4 years. Thers even the same VX220 2.2 (ze22) with a full on rebuild.

Need an alternator belt? was doing away with aircon on mine.

Just doing a job for a chap over Peterborough that has the VX220 turbo running a shade over 300hp at wheels, no thanks not for me its a go cart for track days.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »
Thanks Jonny,

I had no idea the engine was used in those cars. Tuning companies over here reckon it's difficult to tune but can't really see why. The supercharger kit looks tempting one day although it's pretty quick as it is! The back end managed to step out slightly going into 3rd and full throttle around a very slight left hand bend last night   :palm: Won't do that again in a hurry! It's pretty controllable at the moment though.

I joined that site before I'd actually bought the car. What car do you have?

I knew mine had an EGR fault before I'd bought it - when the guy said I thought I'd do a search on it and found the cheater. Just made a blanking plate last night and built up the circuit - only cost pence. It didn't switch the light out straight away so I disconnected the battery over night and (touch wood, fingers crossed and all of that!) it's stayed out on the way to work. Also, the cooling fan had permanently switched itself on, apparently that sometimes happens as a fail safe when you get a fault? My circuit isn't as elegant as Vocky's - about twice as long  :lol: but it's working so far! Something always goes wrong though - first bolt I came to on the egr was dead stiff, so I undid the other which was fine. Tried working the stiff one back and forth with WD40 but snap!  :bang: So had to drill the bloomin' thing out which wasn't that easy and re-tap it half a turn at a time!

Wife not impressed, out in garage until 12am on valentines night! She forgot it was my birthday this morning though so we're even!

Wow, that must be actually scary! Would love a blast in it though, nothing on the roads must be able to touch it!

Nick

Offline Jonny

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
Wouldnt catch me in that like strapping a Busa in a go kart.

Had the first prototype cheater had to hard wire in, still on just see it here top right with them red connectors.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728921/6962373/259266234.jpg

Aircons gone now took the repo saw to it last year, easier access to bulkhead brake pipes, hence the VX220 belt.
Only a B Veccy.
Had the first import batch of the GM 2.4 inlet never fitted still in its box from Courtney, just need an ECU bracket.
Scrapping the car in two months 135k

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
You're right the aircon and power steering make the aux belt a nightmare. When I had the problems with my clio I was going to bin both of them and make my own brackets and idler pulley but luckily I found a nice chap that installed the lot for me!

Does the 2.4 inlet have a diff throttle body too? Think it'd make much difference? Really like the look of the supercharger but £3800 for stage 1 from courntney. I think people have done it themselves for about half that by sourcing bits from the US and all over!

Nick

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
Must be an age thing, Still remember the days of the putt putt, first Monte Carlo 1972 with the hi revving small block and M22 (came with auto, swapped it) 3.73 posi and a clutch that took a linebackers left leg to hold. The bumpty bump of the engine at idle trying to hold vacuum, then the sweet sound of 6500 rpm right before a gear change. Tend to forget the blown trannies, ring and pinions, and when the frame snapped at the rear right lower link attach point, well, as fun as that was, I think I'll pass on another adventure like that.

Must be age. Now its just another Monte, photos in this thread, lot tamer. But old dogs still have to have their bone and a hot rod just aint a hot rod without multiple carbs. MSD to give her good spark, no headers, too noisy. All new springs and poly bushings. When your trying to move 4000 lbs of iron around them rubber bushings just dont cut it. Way to big of a rear sway bar 1 1/8 inch, over-steer on dry and under-steer when wet. Been caught by the rain on occasion so might change it out.

Boy is that thing dirty, must be an age thing for hopping in setting the cruise and AC for a thousand or two mile road trip with no issues is the thing now-a-days. Course still like the sound of the 3 250cfm carbs sucking air at 5500 and the bit of tire chirp I get from the 2800 stall converter doing a 1-2 shift. Not that old.

Enjoy them toys now. Wonder how it will be when the today toys are tomorrows Old School.

Robert

MrFluffy

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
Nice, I have family who work for vx at ellesmere port still and thought the speedster was a nice design, and I some of a lotus esprit in my car. Namely the chassis (to be heavily modified by a structural cage when I get to it). Its a nova kitcar but resembling not very much to its vw origins (like midmounted v8 and a esprit chassis!).
And if you think you've got problems getting in and out... The roof and windscreen canopy come up as one and you slide INTO the main tub area... There just isnt a dignified way to extract yourself . If your mrs complains show her this :D

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
Mr Fluffy... That looks a lot like what we called a 'Sterling' Kit car ofc...

Wanted one since I was old enough to read kitcar magazines...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
I wood never fit in that

MrFluffy

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
Yes, its a nova, aka sterling in the US, purvis, eureka and inspiration for the eagle cars. Once upon a time it had the rear mounted vw aircooled engine and chassis too. I am 6'3 and built like a brick outhouse, you wouldn't fit a stock one but with mine its possible but the driving position is very claustraphobic and almost laid flat even with specially shaped seat bases and dropped floor pans so you have to drop onto the seats then slide into the footwells. And as relevant to this thread that makes it a *#"@!% to get in and out of, especially to my wife who won't go near it.
So almost going o/t for nick, but really just arming him with more ammo if his wife complains about his car's impracticality ;)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »
I almost bought one of these back in the early seventies.
It's a Laser 917. Replica of a Porshe 917 race car to fit on a VW pan. Drove all the way to Minnesota were the factory was to look at one in the showroom.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
I have never driven a right side drive car, is the gas peddle still on the right and the clutch on the left?

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
I have never driven a right side drive car, is the gas peddle still on the right and the clutch on the left?

Yes same control layout just on the other side of the car
Obviously the gear shift and parking brake stay in the centre
Jason

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »

Yes same control layout just on the other side of the car
Obviously the gear shift and parking brake stay in the centre

Thanks I was wondering about that. There would be a slight learning curve using my left hand to shift. Im sure after a day or so it would be second nature.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
It's surprisingly easy to adapt between left & right hand drive. There are, however, 2 things that you are guaranteed to do (I'm assuming, BTW, you are familiar with driving "stick", which is what you're likely to have if you hired a car in the UK):

1) At some point, you WILL drive (briefly) on the wrong side of the road, most likely after a junction. Basically, after a while, your brain just goes to sleep...

2) You WILL bang your hand on the door panel as you reach for the gearstick with the wrong hand... more than once most likely.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »
2) You WILL bang your hand on the door panel as you reach for the gearstick with the wrong hand... more than once most likely.    :lol:

Oh! How many times did I do that when in the Canaries for a week?   :doh:   :lol: 

Such a fun thing to do!!!!   But I had issues with vehicle positioning on the first day.... I just couldn't get to grips with the camber and the roll of the car from the wrong side!?  ::)

Ralph.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »
The problem I have is everything I drove and American rental car around a corner the wipers would come on!

Offline enginenut

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
when I was driving in the US the LH drive was ok so was driving on the other side of the road what was annoying is that some bugger stole the window sill from under my right arm  :) mate that was with me kept changing to neutral when we had to turn left  :clap:  I irritated buggery out of him cos I'm used to driving our old rambler which is RH drive but still has a American steering column (gearshift on the right) so I was used to it  :ddb: