Author Topic: What are they???  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Simon0362

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Country: fr
What are they???
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
Not sure whether this is the right place to post this but I saw these 2 items in an antique shop locally - unfortunately it was shut so I couldn't investiagte further and I only had my mobile phone camera with me. But they both left me wondering what they did.....

Any ideas out there?



Offline Bluechip

  • Madmodder Committee
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1508
  • Country: england
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: What are they???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
Hi Simon

Looks like a clock-makers wheel cutter engine .... old mate of mine had a very similar contraption ... very nice though ..

Plus another wotsit used by clockmakers, can't remember what that is called.

Someone will know for sure  :thumbup:


I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline bambuko

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 23
Re: What are they???
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »
Yes, without a doubt, big one is wheel cutting (topping, or rounding-up) machine.
Wheel to be cut would be fitted between two vertical points and the cutter would be on the horizontal spindle propelled by a big hand wheel.
This machine was used mainly on watch wheels for either correcting the form of the teeth or reducing the full form of the teeth to improve the depthing in a train of wheels.

The other one is called Jacot tool - it is used for polishing pivot ends.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:31:04 AM by bambuko »