Author Topic: Hi from Western AZ  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

Hi from Western AZ
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
Hi my name is Chad I'm from Arizona.

Auto mechanics runs in my family if it went together I can fix it. I was certified to run manual lathe & mill in 1999, but my oddly enough my first full time job was as a heavy equipment mechanic for 100+ ton machines, consequently I learned how to weld on that job.
I hung it up and took a job a while later in Aerospace as programmer, set-up, operator and tool maker, learning how to make tools out of broken end mills/drills and other stuff laying around to complete a job. I got the job for the vulcan 20mm gun on the AH64 Apache, not bad for a 21 yr old guy fresh out of trade school.
I do other jobs now not related to machining. 

2 yrs ago I started to set-up on a home based shop to be a gunsmith-but the county said NO even with an OK from the ATF, it got flushed. So I bought a Webb Champ Series 4 VH w/ NIB power feed for $600 it had a broken a table, it was a 5 min $0 fix because I knew what was wrong. Picked up an multi-axis Chevalier end mill grinder for cheap thought I'd sharpen those for side job but ended up sharpening the tools I had around and then I sold it.

I used that money to buy a Logan 12x48 lathe-it needed a half nut; broke my back getting the lathe home so the lathe spent a year collecting dust before I got it wired up. I spent 6 weeks fixing the tail stock-needed new bearings & a sleeve, saddle & cross-slide so it glided on the ways. I had to weld the chuck pinion shut and diamond cut it so I could use the wrench. Last week I finished up the steady rest that I found pics of on this forum.   I don't like to buy tools if I can make it or repair it I'll go that route first, so that means I have boring bars made from drills & end mills. 

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hi from Western AZ
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »
Hi Chad

Welcome to MadModder Chad. With a reputation like that you will have no problem fitting right in here. It's all about getting the job done and sometimes it aint purty but it works just fine. A wide range of knowledge and experience is always a good thing in my books. As you get into some of your projects and have the time perhaps you could pop a few photos and share them with the guys. If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. I hope that you enjoy your stay and participating in MadModder.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline scrapman

Re: Hi from Western AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
Hi Chad :wave: Welcome to madmodders.

Ray. MW0COE
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:10:23 AM by scrapman »