Author Topic: Sidecar build  (Read 34562 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Sidecar build
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
Well I haven't died. I just fell off the map for a while. 

Hiya Wes, good to hear from ya  :headbang:

looks like the passenger approves  :clap:

CC

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
I'm working on a turn signal to go along with the brake light that I need to finish. Here are a couple of shots of what I have now. It's all Brass.

I made some pretty things for the sidecar wheel also out of brass.

I still have quite a bit to do. I'm building a windshield. There will be an onboard air compressor. that way I can fill a tire or adjust the shocks. Oh yeah, There's the air horns that are about ready to install :clap: I bought them a while ago at a yard sale. They were in pretty sad shape. I took the trumpets off and polished them up. they turned out pretty nice, so, I decided to take the horn apart and powdercoat it to match the bike. I drilled out the rivets and stripped the old paint off.

I'll get a picture of them all spiffy here soon.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
Some parts showed up today :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I need to make a mount for my air bottle, Then I can start figuring out where everything will live. I snagged some Stainless to make an enclose out of. I'll get to weld Stainless :D
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
I like that side car. Something "airy" about it.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
It's amazing how busy a fellow can get.....

I started mounting some of the stuff. I had a stainless steel refrigerator door that donated some of itself to make a shelf for my air compressor. I just cut out what I needed and drilled the mounting holes. I then TIG welded up a bracket and drilled the holes in it. It holds my air tank\o/

I have some HID lights to help me see where I'm going and a 7 prong trailer plug to wire the bike to the car.

More soon.....
Wesley P

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 12:21:58 AM »
Wes

Looking good. Spring is on the way, you will have to keep at it now so you are ready for the good riding weather. Love those air horns, they will be a big attention getter. Keep up the good work.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that I changed my mind on the honkers. I decided to build some Steam whistles. They'll run fine on air. I saved some brass handrail bits from the recyclers a while back and decided that they would make sweet looking whistles. I started by turning the end pieces to fit the brass tube that I have.

Here Is what I have so far. I'll silver solder them togather and make a manifold this week. A 3 chime whistle will be fun I think :D

I'll be sure to pot a video when I get them working.

Wesley P

Offline J. Tranter

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
Do you have plans for the steah whistles or are they your own? I have been wanting to make some but for some reason I just can't figure it out.

John T.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »
These are my own design John. For some quick plans, Here are some that I found on the net. They were drawn by my buddy Birk Peterson.

Wesley P

Offline J. Tranter

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
Thnk you for the help. This project looks beautiful bt the way.

John T.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
I powder coated the air tank Chrome :headbang:

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
I think LED's are confusing? So far I think I need about 90000 mcd's for turn/brake lights and around 20000 mcd's for running lights. Does this sound about right? Or am I on my own? I'll get my lights from http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...Fled_prods.htm I found a calculator that helps design the circuit. I'll be getting the stuff this week\o/ I want to get these lights wired up and on my rig. Can they be too bright?

Stay tuned.....
Wesley P

Offline BobWarfield

• CNC Cookbook
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
Cool sidecar, Wes!

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

MrFluffy

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 05:19:59 AM »
4 months since posted but maybe I can add something after the fact for the next bits n bobs to think about  :)
I used to run a watsonian double adult sidecar outfit (its in my field at the moment, but on the wrong side for my current location) and dabbled in that side of things a bit, two things, first if you swap out your forks for leading link forks instead, you will be amazed at the difference in handling and steering and general manageability. The tele forks tend to lock up under the different demands and forces the chair places on them. Its well worth considering and you should snag a ride on a outfit thus equipped to see what I mean. If you must keep the tele's for solo use, there are dedicated chair dampers which can tame the tankslapper that sooner or later may happen. I removed mine for testing one day and got into a uncontrollable slapper at 20mph and had a moment trying to kill the engine while it was thrashing about wildly...

Also if you fit a brake to the chair make it independent from the bike's brakes. I don't know how much road time you've had on it it, but you must have had the problem on long sweeping slow bends curved in the direction of the sidecar, where while you'd normally accelerate gently round shorter ones, you run out of acceleration near the apex on a long curve to do this and end up fighting the bars wrenching your back maybe (or maybe I just rode too hard on the thing!). If you have a independent chair setup you can touch the chair brake and drag the chair slower gently instead and that will pull the bike round the curve a lot easier and more in control, no fighting bars at all, and you can still do the same for bends the other way with the bike only rear brake. Just another string to the bow of how to control. If you ride the bike solo, you can mount the pedal etc on the chair so it stays with the chair.

Last one, if you loose your mind and take it up the drag strip (which we did for a laugh), pull up to the line skewed so the chair is ahead slightly of the straight position, then when you get the go light you can dump the clutch and get on the throttle and itll naturally pull straight. By which time your launched and charging down the track while your compettition gets their wits together still :) My watsonian was on a 750gt kawasaki, and we took it run-what-ya-brung at the bulldog bash one year for a laugh and came within a hairs bredth of taking the sidecar class (and would have if a 9 second 7L blown dedicated 3 wheel drag car with no electrics/bodywork/lights running on methanol hadn't been allowed to race in our street legal class, but hey he was a guest of the organizers and we were nobodys so what to do...)

My chair was good fun, sometimes I consider dragging it out and bolting it the 750 turbo which has the same fitments and chassis as the gt and maybe Ill do that when my family gets a bit older to take them out in it... But you might sometimes think the same things why not to, that is you get wet when it rains still, and still get stuck in traffic. Worst of both worlds of car and bike in one for day to day use.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I've been riding the wheels off it. :med: When the weather cools down I'll get back to work finishing up the last few things that need done. I've thought of making new front forks, but for now I'm getting buy. Most of the roads around here are really straight. So It's not that big of an issue. A brake would be nice once in a while, but it's not bugging me bad enough to re do the wheel for brakes.

I mainly ride solo. But my wife enjoys going for the occasional ride.  :ddb: The drags would be fun.. I'll have to try that someday.
Wesley P