Author Topic: Ship Model Building  (Read 4120 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Ship Model Building
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:10:47 AM »
Ship Model Building
by Gene Johnson
Cornell Maritime Press
ISBN# 0-87033-369-0
Copyright© 1943,1953,1961
3rd ed 11th printing 1966

This one has one pages plans in the back for the Monitor and the Merrimac, has all the vital info on both ships.

This one appears to be a treasure trove of old school building information. The table of contents is broken down into the individual component, from the hull and cradle/bowsprit, planking, sailing ships layout, Fife, pin rails and belaying pins, rigging and winches to weaving your own rope type fenders. Plus a sections on
Fishing nets, floats. Then covers various type of ships with a few pages and the little things that take a model to the next level. He gives what would be found on the ship and has some drawing and information on how to build the items. From outfitting the deck of a whaling ship, to ferryboats, and guided missile cruisers.

It will be a big help to the new recruit, that knows nothing about sailing ships of today or olden days.  Being the wiki of pre computer days on ship modeling.  It is old school in that he uses all types and manner of materials. Wood, paper, cardboard, metal, tin cans, and threads and strings to buttons and dress makers snaps.

I look forward to going thru this as I just got it in the mail.  It has some B&W photos of models, and hundreds of diagrams and drawing set up in plates to go with the descriptions of making the items.

With 3 editions and 11 printings this one should be one of the easy ones to find.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Ship Model Building
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
I will be buying this one in the next day or two. thanks for the tip!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Ship Model Building
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »
BM They are just single page plans with the information on each page for the boats but it  does have a great deal of stuff in it.
 :mmr:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen