Author Topic: Plumbing parts engine  (Read 7849 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Plumbing parts engine
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
I've posted this engine on HMEM several times, but it may be new to some of you on this board.  It's based loosely on the Henry Ford first engine but I've made quite few modifications to my version.  It has a 13/16" bore and about a 2" stroke.  The cylinder is made from a 3/4" pipe tee with a cast iron cylinder liner.  It's water cooled and uses an electronic ignition module with a microswitch for points.  The fuel system is a vapor fuel tank which, in this case, is a pimento jar.  The socket head cap screw is the throttle and there is a brass sleeve below that which adjusts the air mixture.  I keep this engine sitting on my work bench where I can hardly walk by it without giving it a spin and starting it up.  It does start good and runs good, although it has a tendency to run lean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_No_FrDhSY

An earlier video, before I added the eddy current brake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PFz3hfuKI

Chuck

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Plumbing parts engine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
Very nice engine gratulations  :clap:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »
Hi Chuck, that is a very nice running engine, very interesting too.  You mention an "eddy current brake", would you mind explaining it a bit, how it's fabricated?  I see an engine with a rod that long, and I think it really ought to have a pietzo ignition, to match.  I imagine what we would be working on, were pietzos invented and used on the first stationary engines, as they would have been perfect, and also would have given cause for substantial work on engineering longevity into the workings of them.  I suspect if you have enough engines laying around, you could get to the point of never getting anything done, due to starting them each in succession, and having to fiddle a bit with each.  I know I could get there :lol: very nicely done.  :beer: cheers, Jack

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
Thanks, Jack.  The eddie current brake sits on the base at the back of the flywheel.  There are 4, 1-inch neodymium magnets, 2 on each side of the flywheel rim.  As the flywheel turns between these magnets, a small current is generated in the flywheel which in turn is converted to heat (not enough to feel).  This places a small load on the engine and makes it run slower.

Chuck

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
That's a great engine Chuck. Very nice!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
That's a very interesting engine, I can truly understand the need to start it at every opportunity.  Thanks for the bit of education as well.   :beer:  Cheers, Jack

Offline Graz

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »
I like that a lot  :thumbup: