Author Topic: Greetings all.  (Read 4655 times)

Offline BiggerHammer

Greetings all.
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Hello everyone, (WOW I got past the word hello without Brass Machine asking for pics  :lol: )

My name is Sean age 43 and I live a bit northwest of Birmingham Alabama. I was wandering around youtube and I saw a video a small steam engine, which led to stirlings and all sorts of interesting things. I decided that I needed to try building some of this stuff. I work in construction (the industrial side of things) I am a fairly accomplished welder (stick, m.i.g., t.i.g.). I figured (to quote Sir Jeremy Clarkson) "How hard can it be? .... So I bought myself an Harbor Freight 8x12/14 lathe, a smallish drill press, and some tooling (mmmm new toys)  Suitable working area is a bit limited at the moment as are time and funds thus my "Shop" is also the Kitchen (you guessed it I am single).  

As many of the videos I watched were posted by members of this Forum I now know where to place the blame for all of the FUN I have been having. I did not find this forum until quite recently and have spent some time reading posts. Very informative, Thank You All.

On to the FUN. I now realize I should have done a bit more research into plans and whatnot before jumping into my first build by doing a quick sketch-up with pencil and paper and having at it. Here are the results. (I shall now attempt to post a picture)

It looks like an LTD Stirling, it smells like an LTD Stirling, but it runs like a brick. I have begun trouble shooting it but I am thinking that the power piston (aluminium) power cylinder (brass) displacer and displacer cylinder are the faults (oh, and the bushings on the con-rods). Like they say, if all else fails read the instructions. Still had a good deal of fun and learned quite a bit. Also enjoyed figuring out how to fab some of the parts.

Just here mainly for the fun. Some day I hope to post pictures of a runner of some sort or the other. Will continue to tweak the LTD as time permits. Maybe someday it will go.

Need to pack for a bit of out of town work that I need to complete. Should be back in a few days. It was supposed to be a three or four day job, hello middle of week two.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Greetings all.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
Hiya Sean  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Nice looking stirling. I haven't built a LTD stirling (yet) so I have no advice on troubleshooting. I know there are people here that may be able to help  :smart:. Did fine on posting a picture... you can stay  :headbang:  :lol:

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
First thing to do is get rid of those metal bolts between the hot plate and the cold plate.  They conduct heat, making it easy for both plates to approach the same temperature.  Stirlings depend on a temperature differential between the hot end and cold end of the displacer chamber.  Your bolts are short circuiting that differential.

Use nylon bolts or plastic electronic standoffs tapped to take short screws.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
Thanks mklotz. I was afraid they would have to go. They will most likely be replaced when I am able to locate a more cylindrical displacer cylinder. The current one is a tad too far out of round I fear. I think it will have to be shelved until I can find one.

Therefore I must move on to the next project. A simple steam/air engine for my nephews to take to school. Should be interesting with only a lathe and drillpress. I fear the kitchen will be seeing a new appliance in the future. A small milling machine. I suppose I could justify it being there if I could use it to scramble eggs or something. Better yet as a pepper mill. I do like fresh ground pepper.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:57:23 AM »
Hi and welcome to us.  :wave:

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:01:38 AM »
Welcome, welcome, welcome.  Join right in.

Ray
Waco, Texas

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:38 AM »
Welcome Sean  :beer:
Jason

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
HI from the uk have fun

Offline Hobby-Machinist

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »
Hi there Sean,

A lot of great work can emanate from a small home shop.

Keep at it on the Stirling!

Best,

Nelson

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
Hi Sean,
I'm new to this board also.
I think Marv is right on I'd replace those screws with nylon I know the LTD stirlings I built were pretty touchy about getting things balanced also.