Author Topic: Elbow Engine  (Read 3913 times)

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
Elbow Engine
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
Havent really posted any build of this yet but after the

SNAP!!!   Just the sound one dreads when tapping, this part that worked tickled me to no end, (Yes I have no life), It actually worked. Working on a flywheel for what hopefully will end up as an Elbow Engine.

Been too cold to get into the garage much more than few minutes at a time afore the fingers give out, so figured I'd drill and tap the 2-56 holes needed cause i dont follow plans.

One hole done ok, second one and SNAP. Chilly fingers just do not have the feel, combined with cheap tap and a 0.070 hole.

Thank God for the ALUM. Twenty four hours of stewing and the tap is gone. As I have 4 more of these holes to do I'm just gonna wait for the 0.073 drills and hopefully better taps to arrive.

The ALUM was just the ol McCormick spice type, warm water, below boil, saturated solution? sorta, water temp dropped down to a level of not wanting to keep finger in for long and could see the powder coming out of solution. Close enough. Sure does leave a tad of smut on the part, small price to pay for having mud hands.

First one is my clunky taping gizmo, spot, drill, tap. Its lightly spring loaded so, you get the picture.

Second one is broken tap Blah

Third is tada,  all better now

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline crabsign69

Re: Elbow Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
cool now i can retrive all the parts ive buggered up and remove those dam broken parts does it work on drill bits too
i snap a lot of those

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
A search here for   broken tap  will pull up more than my two finger typing can relay.
From what i gathered is the ALUM will dissolve ferrous metals leaving the nonferrous untouched. Starting with warmed water guessing about 150F mix in the ALUM till the solution will hold no more (saturated). Drop in the piece, keep it warm and after a while the tap will be gone. Drill bit being ferrous should have same reaction. When your done you can let the solution evaporate on its own and watch the crystal grow, can see how bored I get :) Better than watching mud dry.

Took 24 or so hours for the 1/4 inch piece of 2-56 tap to completely disappear so larger pieces will of course take longer. Will work at room temp, just take longer, something about for each 10 degree increase in temp doubles reaction time, too many years ago for that memory.

But I can say  it worked, beats the heck out of making another part

Robert

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
Its all good now, of course I'll never break another tap so this bag shall remain unopened.

Robert