Author Topic: 90 degree V4 OHC  (Read 45828 times)

Rob.Wilson

Re: 90 degree V4 OHC
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 05:03:39 AM »
Hi Doug   :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

wow having just read this post your sure doing a mighty fine job of designing   :smart:  and building this engine  :dremel:

nice one  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:29 AM »
Your'e engine is coming up just fine  :D

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 09:27:51 AM »
Hi Doug   :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

wow having just read this post your sure doing a mighty fine job of designing   :smart:  and building this engine  :dremel:

nice one  :thumbup:

Rob

Rob, 

It's funny that because there are 4 of most things to make, the third one is usually the one that is right...   ::)  :whip:

Doug
"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
Hi Doug.  This is looking great, nice progress!
Hoping to learn something here, help me to understand the function of the two large square extrusions bolted to the sides of the cylendar heads, connecting them.  It is hard to tell in the photo but I would guess it is 1-in square.  Is this to align the cylinders during the build and is removed later, or is this part going to be used mount additional items later that have not yet been fabricated?   -Just be being curious, hope it is not a bone head question.   :doh:
Keep up the great work, I am really enjoying this thread, thank you!

The 1/2x1/2 bar stock is part of the design of the intake manifold.  I tapped two holes per head for exhaust and intake on each side of the ports just in case I wanted to go with 4 carburetors or a setup that uses separate manifolds per cylinder.  Right now they are just there as I sit and stare at the engine designing it in my head.

Now that the cylinders are bolted in their final positions, I will start putting some effort into designing the intake manifold.  I am leaning toward one centrally located carb with a combination of bar stock and tubing loctited together.  I have had some success with aluminum brazing, so that is an option as well.

Right now I am stuck on what to do with the crank.  It has to be in 3 parts so that I can get the connecting rod bearings on, but I am concerned about making it solid.  I think I am going to go with 2 bearings in the center to support the crank...  still more mental design to go there.  I had to borrow some bolts... ran out of 5/8 inch 6-32's....

After you get that robot finished (in a decade or so  :poke:), maybe you can make something that goes putt-putt...   :beer:  

Doug
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:52:53 PM by dbvandy »
"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
Looks like we lost a few days worth of posts....  bummer...

Well,  here is a pic I posted holding the engine to give you a better idea of scale...

I have also decided to go with a "half fork" design for the connecting rods.  I was thinking about a fork and blade setup, but I really think that this engine is low enough horsepower to be able to pull off the offset connecting rod.

This is the fork and blade setup:

I purchased some bearings some R4 (1/4x 5/8) for the connecting rod big ends and some R8 (1/2 x 1 1/8) bearings for the crank.  I am also going to use 6 bearings on the crank to help support it and keep it aligned, two on each output shafts and two on the center support block.   This might be overkill, but It will be solid and not fly apart at 5k RPM.

More to come when the bearings arrive...

Doug
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:18:58 PM by dbvandy »

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »
Wow Doug.  Quite a project, and you must work like a madman to get so much done in a month! 
I'm just catching up with this build.  An interesting and entertaining thread!  Keep it up.  : )
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
Wow Doug.  Quite a project, and you must work like a madman to get so much done in a month! 
I'm just catching up with this build.  An interesting and entertaining thread!  Keep it up.  : )

Thanks Dean....

It has been a fun learning experience to design and build this engine with limited tooling and resources.  I spend a ton of time just staring at it on my coffee table at night trying to figure out where to go with it next.

Once the bearings arrive, I will get the crank built, then work on the pistons and connecting rods.

Doug

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
 :offtopic:

:( :( :( :( Not much work done on the v4...  had to take care of the MR2....   :( :( :( :(

Hole in the number 3 piston... could be why I had 0 compression...

Oh... and the bearings arrived... they are right there behind the ratchet still in the tubes...  :bang:

Gave me a chance to seat the valves an replace the seals...  after 120000 miles still had .008 clearance on the valves...  not bad...

Cylinder not torn up too much.. not as bad as I thought it would be...  might burn a little oil, but it is a 23 year old car....  honing got rid of 90% of it, will need to get bored over eventually, but it should be fine for now...  maybe I will drop a 2.0 3S-GTE turbo in there one day...

New pistons will be here tomorrow.  When I get it back on the road I will start working on the V4 again...

Thanks for your patience...

Doug
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:30:01 PM by dbvandy »

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »
 :beer: Ken...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 03:02:15 AM »
That is amazing - I`ve never stripped an engine. I keep threatening to strip the engine on my Honda CG125, I`m sure it would help seeing how a proper engine is built when building these models. I enjoyed the pictures!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
Nice work on the engine Doug, shame about the piston - what caused it though? was it pinking? Strangely a friend at work, I think from what he said, has done the same to his car last night! My mate has a Ferrari 355 replica based on a rev 2 MR2 Turbo - quite a quick car, think the rev 3 engine has another 20bhp or so?

NIck

ps the v4 is looking amazing.  :bow:

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »
I bought the car like this 10 years ago for $300 and it has just been sitting in my back yard waiting for a title, which never came.  I finally got a bonded title and started into it as I want to have a little sports car to speed around in with the T-tops out.

Pistons arrived, new rings, cylinders honed, valves reseated, engine back together minus the intake and wiring...

Did a quick compression check once I got it all timed and sealed up:

200 pounds of compression in the cylinder that was burned.  The other 3 were also right there, so it should be a screamer when I get the intake cleaned out and installed.

Nice work on the engine Doug, shame about the piston - what caused it though? was it pinking? Strangely a friend at work, I think from what he said, has done the same to his car last night! My mate has a Ferrari 355 replica based on a rev 2 MR2 Turbo - quite a quick car, think the rev 3 engine has another 20bhp or so?

NIck

ps the v4 is looking amazing.  :bow:

This motor has 115hp, the 2.0 liter in the mk2 has 140 n/a and almost 200 turboed.  

It looks like there was a flaw in the piston from the factory.  It burned through in the thickest part of the piston and into the compression ring groove, so it was not pre-ignition.  It looks like the previous owner ran it for a while pumpin raw oil straight into the cylinder, then back through the egr into the intake, it is in REALLLLYYYY bad condition inside, so 5 cans of carb cleaner should make it pretty again.

On a side note...  I am not planning on keeping this motor in this car for very long, maybe just through the summer and fall, then I am looking at putting a 3.0 liter Camry engine in it.  About 200 HP out of the box and torque that never ends.  Well documented on the inter web and should be dooable for about a $1000 bucks (and fits in, sort of...)  Should be a fun winter project...

Should be back to the V4 next week...

Doug
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:51:03 PM by dbvandy »

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
Nice work. Over here (I say here but they are all Jap imports) the early mk2 turbos have 220bhp and the latest ones were 240! Must have been slightly de-tuned for the American market. My friend was also considering the camry v6 engine but to get somebody to do it you're talking £3000 over here!

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
Nice work. Over here (I say here but they are all Jap imports) the early mk2 turbos have 220bhp and the latest ones were 240! Must have been slightly de-tuned for the American market. My friend was also considering the camry v6 engine but to get somebody to do it you're talking £3000 over here!

Yea, the ole US EPA makes us throw on all this smog reducing crappola to help the air.  the really nice thing about this car is that in 2 years it will be considered an antique and not have to be inspected...  I think then is when I will do the swap.

She is running like a top now, so back to the fun stuff...

Doug

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
Well done, always a great feeling when it fires back up after major engine work! No reason it shouldn't by there's always that thought at the back of your mind!

Offline BlueRock

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 05:03:58 AM »
Looking great Doug! I like the way you are designing and sorting out the finer details as you go. Can't wait for your next installment.

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »
The weather got too damn nice here in Atlanta to stay in the shop, so some other projects like rebuilding the motor in the MR2, de-winterizing the Seadoo and finishing the floor and transom rebuild in the Sidewinder speed boat have taken priority.

Glad to see some of you are getting something out of the posts.  I will get back to it soon.... 

:coffee: Doug

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
On a side note...  I am not planning on keeping this motor in this car for very long, maybe just through the summer and fall, then I am looking at putting a 3.0 liter Camry engine in it.  About 200 HP out of the box and torque that never ends.  Well documented on the inter web and should be dooable for about a $1000 bucks (and fits in, sort of...)  Should be a fun winter project...

Should be back to the V4 next week...

Doug

Following the V4 work, and it looks like it is coming along nicely... however... If you do drop the Camry engine in the mister2, I would love to see a build log.

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
is that the 1600cc 4AGE MR2 ? because over hear they where 128mbp and a little scremer, I had 3 new Gti corrola's that flew then I got a 1800GXI that was a dog it was red lined about 1500 lower and i spent the first 6 months bouncing off the rev limmiter. this is a handy uk site

http://www.fensport.co.uk/FensportCars/MR2_Supercharger.aspx

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
It is the 4age.  Over here in the colonies it only puts out 115 bhp due to the emissions junk.  But it is running great and getting over 30 mpg so that is a great thing.

You can bet the when I do the engine swap, I will document it here....

Doug

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Hi Doug, I was enjoying the build and there has been no updates for a while.... :poke: :poke: :poke: :whip: :whip: