Author Topic: $30 Project shotgun  (Read 24810 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: $30 Project shotgun
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:11:12 PM »
I started carving the stock a little. I think I need some practice. I'll smooth it up some and use a wood burner to darken it a little. But I like it.

I drew the pattern free hand on both sides. They aren't perfect. But to quote a pinstriper that I knew. "You can't see both sides at the same time anyways"

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
Tonight I finished up the bolt that holds the stock on. Now I can start mounting the brass Butt plate\o/ It's coming along.....
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
I got the brass Butt plate bent and drilled and mounted. I roughed it to shape with my belt sander then filed it to final size. I used a couple of hammers and a block of wood to bend the butt plate. A little more carving and I can start laying down my finish. I also chucked the barrel up in the lathe and trimmed the hack saw marks off the end of the barrel.

:wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
I just like the way it looks. I think all my guns might get brass butt plates :lol: :lol: I don't know how to engrave. But I would love to learn. But I think It would take a long time to learn and be decent at it. I do have an etch-o-matic. I could etch something on there. Maybe on the next one.
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »

Why brass for the butt plate?  Is it to leave an easier material for a later engraving projects, or is there some other decision that drives the choice of brass?

I believe a lot of the older guns have brass or steel butt plates. I think the main reason was to keep the wood from getting frayed out or banged up when the gun was set down on the stock and proped up against the wall. Kind of makes sense I would say.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
what happened to the original gun u going to finish that one. i was looking forward to that

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 07:08:12 AM »
Its next\o/ :wave: I have some cool things planed for it.
Wesley P

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
cool beans man cant wait   :proj:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »
Carving is done. I used a wood burner on the carvings.

Here is the fore grip.

I decided it needed a lightning bolt.

About all that is left is final sanding and start to apply the sealer. Then on to the next one\o/

Wes :wave:
Wesley P

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 12:14:17 AM »
That looks real nice. good job   :beer:

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
Puleeeeze find a slotted screw for the fore end. Preferably an oval headed one. The gun is several decades older than Phillips screws and the majority of current firearms still use slotted. :doh: :doh:

Other than the screw the project looks Great.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Joe

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
This gun was made in 2000. I found one just like it in a pawn shop last weekend and it had the same screw. If I were keeping it I'd be making a new one.

I decided to use Tung oil to finish the stock. I read good and bad about every product out there it seems like. There were a couple of gun stock sellers that recommended tung oil to finish their stocks with. So that's what I decided on. I'll snap a picture a little later.

Thanks for the compliments, Wes :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
Just a couple pictures.

Later, Wes :wave
Wesley P

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
thats a nice piece there a little work with steel wool and call it good.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
The last coat of sealer was just applied. I removed the rust from the receiver and the barrel tonight. I'll re-blue the barrel and put it back together for the last time in a day or so\o/

Then on to the next one\o/ And I'll post some pictures. It sure is shiny :)

Wes
Wesley P