Author Topic: Mike's clock workshop  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
Mike's clock workshop
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »
Hello All,

This is my first attempt at posting photographs never having had a photo bucket before.......

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l556/Brequet500/
If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline Rick O Shea

Re: Mike's clock workshop 2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
Well that worked, :beer: Most of my work is based around the repair of Antique Clocks, but I also repair magnetic speedometers,  they were made by smiths / jaeger and others pre and post second world war.

The workshop is about 12 foor square and is a tempoary one at present. In it  I have shaublin 70, Myford Super 7, BCA jig borer, Tom Senior two cutter grinders a watch makers lathe or two (or three), large QA drilling machine, and about 45 years of accumilated tool collecting.

I am planning to build a new workshop this year about 30 foot long and 12 foot wide with an insulated  concrete floor, the present workshop has a suspended floor, and it is not possible to use the Tom Senior with out the whoile workshop vibrating.

I have built a James Coombes Table Engine from castings, been making a 2.5 gauge Eagle for about 35 years, and various clocks, in various states.

I have a nasty feeling I am very attracted to a webster engine.     
If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.

Offline Rick O Shea

Re: Mike's clock workshop 3
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
Sorry I have noticed I have put these  posts in the wrong section, :scratch:  could a moderator move them for me?
Best wishes
Mike 

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Mike's clock workshop 3
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:19:38 AM »
Sorry I have noticed I have put these  posts in the wrong section, :scratch:  could a moderator move them for me?
Best wishes
Mike 

Its OK her in the Galery Mike

Very nice workshop with some nice machines, how do you find the cutter grinders what make are they ?.

If you copy the picture image code into the thread it will be shown.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Rick O Shea

Re: Mike's clock workshop
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:45:27 AM »
Thanks  Stew.
I have a Alexander copy of a t/c and a Tip Lap t/c. I have to be honest they are recent additions to the workshop and I have not used the alexander yet. I was lucky enough to get a box of accessories for the tip lap so I think that will  possibly be the one that I shall use the most.  I would prefer not to have grinders in the workshop where I assemble clocks  and  at the moment if I use a grinder I have to carry it out side.

I think that the BCA is the best machine for the sort of work I do. 

I am not sure how to show the thread to the photos.

Mike

Offline fixit

• my first engine
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:13:37 AM »
Good looking workshop !

i see you have a lot of 'smalldraw 'filing cabenets,   i managed to get one  the other day  'best thing ive got to date!!!! :ddb:

Steve
northolt,near Mc donalds, next to Pc World

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:54 AM »
Nice workshop - what is the mill (?) in the far left of the first image?

Chris

Offline Rick O Shea

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:45:08 AM »

Hi Craynerd    Its a BCA Jig Borer, it has normal x and y movement but also has a rotary table built in so as to speak,  I believe it was taken from the Germans as war reperation in  1945 and I believe it  is based on a Wolf Jahn or Linenen machine it has 11 mm collets (which are a real pain to find). The mills are still for sale now called Sigma and are staggeringly expensive. Mine is fitted with a non standard 3 phase motor and a speed controller down to single phase which makes is very smooth. My friend has one to which he has fitted DRO  and  that is something else.   

Fixit,  I have quite a lot of the small drawer storage cabinets, I try and get them from Second hand office clearance companies.  New from Staples they are close to £100 which is silly money  but second hand they  seem to fetch £30-50 each  They are very handy  for storing all sorts of stuff. Thet are also vvery good for loosing all sorts of stuff, I know I have got one of those...... but I have no idea where it is.  Might be an age thing tho.       

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »
Hi Mike,

That's a nice setup! There never seems to be much swarf around a horologist's bench; it must be the nature of their work which keeps clockmakers so clean and tidy.

Those Bisley cabinets are really useful, but expensive as you say. Ikea do something similar for about £15 (I think), but it has 6 x 4" deep drawers like the grey one in your pic below.

To get a pic into your post, start composing the text, then open P'bucket in a separate browser window. Hover your cursor over the thumbnail image, whereupon four little boxes will drop down. Click within the bottom one, where the text starts "IMG". That will copy the code. Return to your text and paste (Control+V) it in where you want the pic to appear, on a line of its own and best with a blank line above and below. As you are composing, only the code will appear, but if you click on Preview and scroll up, you should see your pic in all its glory, like this:

Sometimes it can be good to reduce the size of the pic using the editing facility in P'bucket, saving the reduced image in place of the original, and then copying/pasting its code.

Why not try amending your original post to include the photos? Click on Modify and you can edit it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Andy,

Thanks for that explanation to Mike on how to post a pic. Much appreicated.

Mike,

Nice workshop. My wife collects antique clocks. Must have over 100 by now. Not all working ofcourse.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds