Author Topic: The LTD Stirling saga.  (Read 5644 times)

Offline BiggerHammer

The LTD Stirling saga.
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
Hello all,
As I stated in my introduction I chose as my first build an LTD Stirling engine. As I was new to all of this I did not realize how accurate I needed to be and how sensitive the Stirling would be. So now begins the saga of the rebuild. As this thing may never be a runner I shall at least try to make this mildly entertaining.

I decided that there was too much slack in the displacer cylinder and began looking about for a suitable replacement. I found one in a local discount store. 2 bucks American, I think that is like 42 pence and a ha'penny for you lot across the pond.

Hrmmm, it is from a discount store... it's called "Blue Magic" and it is sort of a radioactive looking green color. Yes I have concerns. I instituted the Hazardous Materials Handling Protocols and cleaned the goop out of the container. What an odd smell and consistency, it's amazing what people will put into their hair.

After the radiation levels dropped back down to normal background levels I checked for symmetry of the container. (Yes that is a real geiger counter, it's amazing what I will buy if the price is low enough) It looks as if I may have a winner it is not very far out of round.

Marked up the piece for cutting using a pipe wrap (I am a welder of pipe and things metallic). Chopped it into bits with the handy Dremel, and gave the ends a bit of a sanding.

Seems that it still has a bit of a funny smell about it.... I shall simply refer to it as a luxury option. On with the build.

I chopped off a bit of balsa wood, drilled a 3/8 hole through the middle-ish bit of it and mounted it to a mandrel. I then proceeded to commit Blasphemy in the eyes of the God of Swarf.

After failing at my first bit of Blasphemy I succeeded in committing a successful bit of Blasphemy with a friction fit. It just needs a bit of sanding.

If I remember my Book of Swarf correctly I think it was Chapter seven verses  eight through eleven... "If thou commitist the Blasphemous act of turning wood upon thine metal lathe thou has committed an abomination unto Swarf. As penance thou shall clean and oil thine lathe. Thou shalt then make an offering unto Swarf by turning some bit of dull useless metal in thine lathe. If thine offering be accepted by Swarf thou shall be rewarded with some useful bits of shiny metal".

Apparently my offering of turning, peck drilling, and parting was acceptable to Swarf. Now the bits in place with piston rod.

And now everything in place with a bit of RTV high temp silicone to seal.

That's it for now. More to follow as soon as time/work permits. Hope you enjoyed this installment.

Offline picclock

Re: The LTD Stirling saga.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:40:45 AM »
Hi BigHammer

The displacer piston needs a gap around the outside of it of about 1mm. So calling it a piston is almost a misnomer. Its really a moveable insulator which allows the working fluid (air) to switch from a low temperature chamber to a high temperature one, the change in pressure at the different temperatures drives the engine.

Commonest places to look for a non runner are friction and leaks and balance.

Displacer piston rod is one of the trickier places. If the seal where the rod passes through the top (cold) plate is poor the change in pressure will just leak away and the motor will not work. Because the seal needs to be low friction its a tricky one.

The other problems tend to be more obvious, power cylinder seal/friction/clearance, low friction bearings and balance.

Don't know if that was the culprit with yours, but good luck anyway.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
Thank you picclock. I am thinking that the culprit was "All of the above". This was my first "real project". I had the lathe a month and most of that time was spent working out of town. Time was limited and I had not found any plans that I had the machine capability to build. Nor did I realize the tight tolerances required. I did the best I could with the materials and skill I had. Nearing completion I found this site and after reading the problems experienced by others I realized it was not going to work. Of course I had to try it anyway.

I went with point bearings for the crank. I should go and find some glass beads to reduce friction there.

Going to re-assemble and see if by some freak chance it was only the displacer.

Once again thank you picclock for your input. I do like this forum, everyone is friendly and  ready to help with advice and information. Give me a decade or so and I should be able to muddle through a simple build.  :lol:

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
I've only started machining again about 2 years now, looking at some of the work I did then, which I was quite pleased with at the time, makes me hang my head in shame.

To be fair it worked, but the finish and tolerances and downright bodging to get things to go together I now find quite crass. I think that the more you do and see, the better you become (or strive to become). I don't think I'll ever get up to the standards shown on some of the builds on this site. There are so many tricks to learn, and techniques, formally unknown are now second nature.

Some of it is equipment, good equipment and tooling helps a lot. Trouble is it costs a lot so there is always the temptation to go for the lower cost option and hope that the downside is not so bad that you end up forking out for the expensive stuff anyhow.

Don't know if you have visited Jan Ridder's site - he has a lot of tips and plans for LTD stirlings, including a fault finding guide to get you going.
http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/index.htm  (you may need google translate as his english version seems to have disappeared.)

Good luck , and if it runs (or not ) post pictures to encourage others to have a go.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)