Author Topic: Try it again..........Just another workshop!  (Read 10226 times)

Offline backyard_cnc

Try it again..........Just another workshop!
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:45:59 AM »
Heres my basement workshop, the main shop with bigger tools and some CNC is out back in the garage but this allows me too play about late at night when I am too lazy to go outside!

Gerald

Offline backyard_cnc

Re: Try it again..........Just another workshop!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:59:45 AM »
Another shot...................it does do some work but I clean up before taking photo's :-). Note the wall mounted wood rack for collets/change gears and things!

Gerald

Offline backyard_cnc

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:03:19 AM »
Heres a simple project for the mini lathe and a very handy tool. It allows you to mount a dremel style rotary tool on the toolpost for precision drilling or grinding. Live tooling is very useful!

Gerald

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16:52 AM »
Gerald

Welcome to MadModder, we're glad to have you aboard. Have noticed several of your posts so thought I'd say hi.

Looks like you have a very nice clean compact setup there for when you don't want to wander to the other shop. When you get a chance you can post some pictures of your other shop area.

Cheers

Don                                        :mmr:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:29:07 AM by dsquire »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:20:10 AM »
Nice. I have both of those. Except your bed on the lathe looks bigger than mine. I have the HF version. Says 7x10 but it really is 7x8. I plan on either getting the 7x14 replacement bed or just buying another lathe...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline backyard_cnc

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:39:36 AM »
Nice. I have both of those. Except your bed on the lathe looks bigger than mine. I have the HF version. Says 7x10 but it really is 7x8. I plan on either getting the 7x14 replacement bed or just buying another lathe...

Eric

Eric,

I think the lathe is considered a 7X12. It is a SIEG C3 model. It is from a local store, a Canadian version of Harbor Freight , called Princess Auto. The mill is from Harbor Freight as there is a store in Fargo ND, which is about 2.5 hours drive due south  from my home here in Canada. After buying these  I also bought a 12x36 real lathe to allow me to do all the machining required to turn the mini lathe and mini mill into decent pieces of equipment. That has yet to really start :-). I also have the little TAIG lathe with all it's accessories which is a great little tool.  I have added the XYZ QCTP to the mini lathe which makes it easier to use (no more shims) and my mini mill has a belt drive conversion and soon will have a leadscrew on the Z axis to get rid of the rack!

The purpose of all this is to eventually build a steam locomotive. Seems all I do is work on tools and workshop storage projects! I have attached a photo of my lathe accessories storage rack. You will note the small threaded arbor in the rack which allows all the chucks/faceplates I have for my TAIG lathe to be held in a collet in the spindle of the mini lathe. I am working on a small fixture plate project that will allow all the TAIG chuck to be mounted on the table of the mini mill as well. This will allow parts to remain chucked but be moved between machines for different ops as required without disturbing the reference.

Gerald

Gerald

Gerald

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »
Eric
Have a look at the new C4 lathe. I'm seriously giving it some consideration as an upgrade to my much beloved C3.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/m4/C4/c4.htm

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »
You know I've never been able to see mini-lathe.com, it just won't load on my computers and that's over 3 diff addresses.

I have to go to my mates to see it and he's just moved 300m away, so that's out now too.. :hammer:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline backyard_cnc

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »
Eric
Have a look at the new C4 lathe. I'm seriously giving it some consideration as an upgrade to my much beloved C3.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/m4/C4/c4.htm

Steve

I almost bought one but ultimately decided to bite the bullet and buy a 12X36. It's a lot more money but it's a whole lot more lathe. The 12X36 should be the last lathe I ever need buy. If you buy a C4 it just isn't that much more than a 7X12 and is lacking many "big lathe "features still that make using a lathe much easier and convenient. Such as good low speeds, a separate feedrod from the leadscrew. Power feed on the crossslide for facing etc...... I mean it's almost 1200lbs of cast iron but I will never need buy another!

Cheers
Gerald