Author Topic: Steam Scooter Help! (differential pressure flow control valve)  (Read 8546 times)

Offline JasonSpacey

• Anachroni
Hey Guys,

I've run into a snag for my steam scooter design. I'm trying to track down this valve originally made by Cole's Power Models (now in texas originally in Ventura, California). It's called a differential pressure flow control valve. Here's its diagram and where it's used.

You can see in the second diagram that there is a ball valve connected to ports #9  and #13. This allows the flow of water from the feedpump to be controlled proportional to the opening of that ball valve. Excess pressure that might normally be pushed through, is dumped through outlet #7(at bottom), a bypass.  Below are the specifics of the valve. Do you know where I might find one? Maybe several other available valves could somehow replace this one's job? I would hate to have to have this made. :[ Probably very cost-prohibitive--I don't have a machine shop in my garage. Thank you!

Jason

Differential Pressure Flow Control Valve.
1. Outlet, feed to steam generator.
2. Diaphragm, elastomer impregnated fabric, such as used in propane regulators.
3. 1/8" dia. flow passage (two places)
4. Inlet port from feed pump.
5. 1/8" brass nipple, plug, drill and ream 3/32" dia.
6. Drill and tap body for six #6-32 socket head cap screws as shown.
7. Bypass outlet, may be used to control pump output.
8. Body, 1 3/4" hex brass, machine as shown.
9. Outlet to primary water control valve.
10. Metering pin, 302 stainless steel, 3/32" dia. body x 1" long, 5/16" dia. head, 1/31" thick, close slip fit to 7. Make "v" notch end as shown.
11. Saddle, form of 1/32" brass, braze to lower diaphragm plate, provide loose fit for head of metering pin.
12. Upper diaphragm plate. Plates are formed of 1/32" brass to 1 1/16" diameter. Flare edges to protect diaphragm. Lower plate is furnished with #6-32 stud for fastening to upper plate through diaphragm. Light (2 to 6 oz.) stainless steel spring loads the diaphragm downward. Diaphragm requires 1/4" free travel.
13. Inlet from primary water control valve.
14. Ports (6) are all 1/8-27NPT.
15. Surge damping screw, may be left open or partly closed to prevent pulsation. Screw is threaded #12-24 and is provided with screwdriver slot.
16. 1/8" brass nipple, drill and tap #12-24.
17. 1/8" brass pipe cap.

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." Nikola Tesla

Offline JasonSpacey

• Anachroni
Re: Steam Scooter Help! (differential pressure flow control valve)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »
Do you think a pressure cleaner unloader valve can be used in place of a differential pressure flow control valve?

"The pressure cleaner's unloader valve functions as a safety device. Unloader valves control the direction of the flow of water exiting the pump. A positive displacement pump always delivers water, regardless of whether the spray gun is open or closed. When the spray gun is closed, the unloader valve redirects the flow of water back to the inlet side of the pump. This prevents the build up of dangerously high pressure and guards against the failure of component parts. Pressure cleaners are installed with either a Trapped Pressure Unloader or a Flow Actuated Unloader."

Sounds similar to me, just wanted to run it by you guys  :zap:

Jason
"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." Nikola Tesla

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
  are you thr chap who was posting about 1/4 Scale 1906 Live-Steam Stanley Flying Tea Kettle on another site ?

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline JasonSpacey

• Anachroni
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
  are you thr chap who was posting about 1/4 Scale 1906 Live-Steam Stanley Flying Tea Kettle on another site ?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm not making a 1/4 scale 1906 Live-Steam Stanley Flying Tea Kettle and never was! So I don't think so :]

Best,

Jason

Offline JasonSpacey

• Anachroni

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
boy you guys are helpful.  :coffee: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/andersonalien1/DPFCbypass1.jpg

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

This is supposed to be a site where you SHOW the projects you are actually physically doing, or what you are getting up to, however varied they might be, and maybe ask for assistance DURING your project, if you come across a problem you can't solve yourself, or would like comments about how your are carrying out certain procedures.

This is not really a question and answer, or R&D site for those not in the 'know', no matter if it does come across like that.
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline JasonSpacey

• Anachroni
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »
boy you guys are helpful.  :coffee: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/andersonalien1/DPFCbypass1.jpg

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

This is supposed to be a site where you SHOW the projects you are actually physically doing, or what you are getting up to, however varied they might be, and maybe ask for assistance DURING your project, if you come across a problem you can't solve yourself, or would like comments about how your are carrying out certain procedures.

This is not really a question and answer, or R&D site for those not in the 'know', no matter if it does come across like that.

Hi! I'm sorry I didn't mean for it to be taken that way! I can see how it would look like that but that was my coffee face. I was personally messaged and shown that. I'll be more specific next time! Sorry! :]