Author Topic: Changing servers  (Read 15692 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Changing servers
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »
Gents,

A fair amount of you send me emails, a few by automatic means.

During the next ten days, I will be changing over supplier, and all my email addresses after the next week (27/03/2010) will no longer be valid, so if you need to contact me, could you please use PM instead.

I will put up all the new details on here, and also send you my new email address(es) if you are in my address book, when I get them.

Sorry about that, but I have to drag myself into the 21st century, kicking and screaming as usual.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Changing servers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
New email now in situ.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
Good to hear you are up and running without too much grief John,  :beer:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »
Hi John,

New entry box facias and putting in all extensions (correctly), plus getting everything connected up, one chap, just over an hour.

Just checked my line, 38+ mb download and 7+ mb upload (nearly 10 times faster than before), I'm rather happy with that. I did have a bit of trouble setting up and accessing my new email addresses because it was done thru BT Yahoo, but now that is sorted, I won't ever have to go there again.

Not bad, considering I only contacted them just over a week ago to see if it could be done.

Talking to Peter (HS93) last night, he suggested going hardwired rather than wireless. I did that this morning, and it almost doubled my speeds instantly. Thanks Pete.

Shame I can't access this site very well, but I can download and upload files at the speed of light.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »
Glad your sorted John ,can i ask what service have you gone with ?
The best I can get three miles from my exchange is 0.8mbs.  :(
Jason

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:11:10 AM »
Jason,

I am about the same distance from my exchange.

BT Infinity, without all the bells and whistles of television (nothing worth watching anyway) but with all free UK telephone calls.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/article.asp?id=bt-infinity-deals&kt=1769&gclid=CP2bn4Tl6acCFUEb4QodNT1Qbw

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »

BT Infinity, without all the bells and whistles of television (nothing worth watching anyway) but with all free UK telephone calls.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/article.asp?id=bt-infinity-deals&kt=1769&gclid=CP2bn4Tl6acCFUEb4QodNT1Qbw

John

Sounds like you have fibre based broadband with those kind of speeds....
Something only us local yokels can dream of, here in the sticks......

I'm on an 8mb connection with varying d/l speeds, again courtesy of BT which is far better than I could with my old isp walk-walk ( yeah, with the speeds I was getting I might as well have walked, would have been quicker)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:40:17 PM by John Rudd »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
John,

A few years ago, being at the outer limit for broadband with the exchange I am on, I was lucky to get 1mb with copper based ADSL. Then when I went to copper based ADSL2, it jumped up to somewhere near 6mb at times (for double the money), stabilising around 4.5mb most times.

Fibre optic was fed down the main road about 3 years ago, but only came on line about 14 days since, so I jumped at the chance, 10 squid more a month and I get nearly 10 times the speed AND free anytime phone calls. Not a thing to be missed.

The daughter has just gone over to the cheapest BT infinity, and she says it is awesome compared to her previous speeds.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline j45on

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »
Finally I am able to get BT Infinity I'm just waiting for an instal date  :ddb:
I currently get

They estimate I will get 25mb  :drool: which would be a nice increase
BT Infinity apparently guarantee 15 mb minimum so as long as they can instal it I should see a nice increase
Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
Jason, I`m with sky - not the free package (apparently they are not at my exchange!) so I pay £15 for it and it has been poor!

I think I currently pay between £55-60 a month for sky tv (£19), 1 variety pack (£1), £17 internet, £11 phone line rental, £5 free evening calls and then the rest is made up of day and mobile calls (normally about £4-8)

I can`t get Virgin 50mb because I`ve not got cable, the best anyone can offer is 10mb. BT infinity is apparently available in July! I don`t want to commit to a 12 month contract with someone else as I really fancy infinity! It is just wheather I can bear another 3 months of sky broadband!!

Let us know how it is when it arrives! Infact, post as speedtest if you will ;-)

Chris

Offline j45on

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:33:42 PM »
Will do Chris  :thumbup:
I have been led to believe it will be late next week but I have had no confirmation yet
I have to order a new wireless router now as Infinity requires a cable router and not a adsl router
Jason

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
Hi
It seams to me as I have a little better internet access  :)

I'll pay $43,95

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
Gents,

With BT, I get on average around 40mb download and around 8 to 9mb upload from my BT fibre connection. I am at the outer limit from my exchange at just over 3 kms.
Depending on the time of day (brats playing on the internet etc) that can become a max of over 50mb down to around a min download of 20mb, upload never really varies.

BT installed new cable runners, and it ended up right next to my computer. BT also supplied the modem and seperate home hub, which can supply both wireless and up to 4 hard wired connections. I went for the hard wire to my computer, as the speed is about 50% faster. The cost for installation was £5 (including modem etc)

Mine ended up as unlimited download, line rental and free anytime calls within the UK with some free to mobile communications, which I never use. After the £8 initial discount within 3 months of setup (20 squid at the moment) will be 28 squid per month. I don't take any of the television channel packages as I see enough repeated garbage with freeview.

That is a lot less than when I was with BeThere, and they were only supplying 6mb down (up to 24mb ADSL2) and 1mb up on the old copper wire system.

After being on it for 6 weeks, I have not had any real problems at all, except in the initial 14 days learning and setup time. But those disappeared very quickly.

Bogs

Skype - bandit175

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
I wish I had that sort of connection ...  :drool:  I sometimes get so fed up with sky I turn off my computer and try again later! I`m impressed to hear it is unlimited download and at that sort of a price it seems well worth the money. I think I`m going to have to grin and bear it with Sky even though my contract is now out rather than tie myself into another contract with someone else. It is just whether BT stick to their available date of July for it being ready in my town.

Chris

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
It's not cheap, but here @ home Virgin Media do a fair job of supplying fast internet (fast in UK terms at least):

I've changed to BT broadband @ the office, I only get around 6.5mbps/0.6mpbs speeds there.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline j45on

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 05:44:01 AM »
The wait is over  :ddb:

Old

New

This is with a cable to the computer wireless speeds are lower
Jason

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 06:33:32 AM »
Congratulations Jason.

Actually a whole new world opens up with faster up/download speeds.

Even while on Skype, we can be talking to each other and pass files and pictures between ourselves to explain things better, as though you are sitting next to each other.

It would even pay you now to open up a small server where you can upload your really big files to, and if you want someone else to see them, you just send them the URL link.

Computer life for me got very much easier when I went over to fibre, even uploading my pictures and vids to Photo bucket or You-tube now only takes seconds or minutes rather than hours.

John

This was mine a few seconds ago

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:39:01 AM by Bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:47 AM »
WOW !!! 30th June is apparently when the local exchange will be converted or whatever needs to happen to get it.

Just on what John mentioned about a server, the QNAP systems are amazing! a networked storage drive in which you can open up as a webserver! I have mine open so that I can access it at home from anywhere in the world and use it is a massive "online" pen drive!! I can also use it host large files as John mentined.

I`m sure there are cheaper ways of setting up a server but the QNAP is certainly simple for anyone to use!

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:57 AM »
Chris,

Depending how far away from your local exchange you are, sets up how much download speed you get. They reckon if you are fairly close, within say 1km, they can guarantee 50mb download speed and 10mb upload.

I see Virgin and Sky in the UK are trying their best to pull in new customers before everyone realises that the new BT system is cheaper and faster than their offerings, and you don't have to have all the crappy hanging on stuff that normally goes with it. You only buy what you want.
The main limiting factor with them all is 'fair usage', I like no interference or extra charges with any system I take on, it costs a bit extra per month but I go for the unlimited, and have never had anyone come to me saying that I am getting close to my limit, and would you like to, or you need to buy more usage otherwise we will put restrictions on your up/download speeds.

John

Skype - bandit175

tumutbound

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 07:34:13 AM »
And from the other side of the world ...

My current speed with Telstra Cable.

Bad news is it gets disconnected tomorrow as I'm moving house. Cable is not available where I'm headed (Tasmania) so I'll have to settle for ADSL at a maximum of 8mbps but I'll be relying on wireless broadband until I find a place to live. It'll come in handy for the trip (1400kms plus a 12 hour ferry ride)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:40:45 AM by tumutbound »

Offline j45on

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »
Chris they activated our exchange late december
It has taken them a while to lay fibre out to the new boxes,that you will hopefully see being installed on the streets near you
Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
Oh yes, enjoying the futuristic dizzy heights of 40MB  fibre optic broadband - BT infinity.  

:doh:

Offline mike os

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
well i can expect fibre in about 3167........... so I'll just have to live with 13mb for a few years  :doh:

still, not bad for a 3rd world nation
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline Jonny

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
Take it you had decent recent service with ADSL24 J45, lookin around the last couple of years dont think they had anyone. Was with them up to 2 1/2 year ago with Entanet :poke: being one of the last to jump ship.
No way would i entertain going with BT excluding the 18 month rolling contract and some of the things they do. Do a search on Phorm a banned subject on BT forums.

J45 i did sign up again with ADSL24 for FTTC around mid March after checking them out. 'ticket after ticket' after all the bad press in recent times, plus a direct phone call 'the phone lines always clear try it' That should tell you something. Lets just say back to old times, they blew it failed to submit the FTTC order to BT for 10 working days, meaning without connection within 1 day. 11 working days later was the provisional install date unlikely at that. 10 days without a must have connection with untold irrecoverable damage and no income. We will email you- what, no connection.

So decided on another ISP who value their customers, 5 working days later up and running 19 April. I only pay for 2meg upload speed and have had a few problems so far, mainly BT not knowing what they are doing and pushing their branded product hard that very few of the staff know about. Fortunately i have a new ISP who pulls no punches and gets the problems sorted. They do hosting as well.

Incidently i am 6km from the exchange! ADSL IP profile .3 to 1/2 meg 64db attn, ADSL2 1.7meg 75db Attenuation, FTTC 37.45meg rarely dropping below 31 meg.
Good when FTTC running right, easilly stream HD 1080P vids, couldnt even watch 240p youtube vids without serious buffering on LLU (ADSL2+).