Author Topic: eeening  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Scuba1

eeening
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
I stumbled over this place a while ago  and now its about time to get out of lurking status I thought. This is the bit that is going to sound like the first meeting at the AA  ( I think)  My name is Michael Max  and i have not owned a lathe or mill for 2 years, but am about to change that. ... see it sounds like the AA thing.
At the moment i am working in a company, that has all the things I need, but my boss has this strange idea, that I should spend my time  making money for the company and not just tinker about on my own quest. Even though he is quite happy about me just making machines and bits for them sort of at hock but i do refuse to them make drawings of the things I built. ( we do have a drawing office with the whole  iso 9001 thing ....( In other words the make the balls ups in line with the industry standards and then I bodge things together to make it work ) I do stick the little parts now and then in the photo copy thing and hand them in, but that is as far as i will go. Anyway I want to get myself another lathe and a table for the cross slide as I do make a few things for the air rifle target shooting brigade. Other then that, I just can't buy anything that I don't take to bits and try to improve. Yes I do live alone and don't have a missus that can nag me about a hoover that is spread about the place because i think that I can get a better performance out of the thing.

ATB

Michael

Offline Scuba1

Re: eeening
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
Forgot to show you my current playground minus the dreaded CNC machines.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »
Welcome Michael  :beer:
Jason

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
Welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Can't believe you'd get and accuracy out of the mill setting on top of a pallet.  :scratch:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:58:35 AM »
The mkill is not sitting on a pallet. It is mounted on metal plates that are in the concrete of the floor. The bit of wood that looks like a pallet is just to stand on. It keeps yer feet from getting cold, stops you from slipping about when the coolant is raining all over the place as well.

ATB

Michael

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »
A little closer look showed me the errors of my thinking, thanks.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »
I have lifted the mill a little bit with the floor mountings under it as I am a bit tall and this makes it easier on the back. Another upside the the lift is that our resident hobbit now cant get a spanner on the draw bar and nick my tools for his jobs, so will have to sharpen his own cutters  :thumbup:

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
Welcome Scuba1.  Enjoy.
Ray
Waco, Texas

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
Welcomme to us.  :mmr:

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
Welcome Scuba1!
I'm a newbie here to.
That's a pretty damned nice playground you have!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
Hiya Michael!  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »
The company I work in makes capping and coding machines for all sorts of different applications from nuclear power stations for little sample bottes, to gallon containers for starbucks coffee concentrate. We buy the outer frames from Minitec, but the rest is all a lot of trial and error. No two machines are the same. We just tend to get a few boxes full of the containers and caps that need to be put on them and then start tinkering from there on till it works. Its interesting work as one gets to do all sorts of different things and in my spare time I make my own little projects in the machine shop. It does help to have 3 lathe and 4 mills in there with only 3 people working in the machine shop, so i ca usually leave my stuff chucked up and ready to carry on when I have the time.

ATB

Michael