Author Topic: Jan Ridders Otto 4 stroke build  (Read 63959 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Re: Jan Ridders Otto 4 stroke build
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
Great job on that engine, it looks beautiful, sounds very smooth, and runs great, and I think the visible vapor carb is a great addition.  A very fine job, very well done. :bugeye: Jack

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys...  I love the visible vapor tank!  It is the number one conversation piece when I am explaining the engine to people.  All the gear heads wonder how it can run without a "proper carburetor", however, after I tell them the physics of what is going on, it makes perfect sense to them.  

I think I will make one that I can use for my new engines just as a "test bed" vapor tank so that I can fine tune other aspects of the engine like valve and ignition timing without having to worry about the fuel system.  The tank is VERY forgiving on settings and looks cool as well...

Just in case you have not seen it, I have started a thread on the V4 at:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4577

Thanks again, I loved making this engine.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:29:50 AM by dbvandy »
"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
Nice build, Doug.  The finished engine looks stunning.  I'm curious about the weed eater coil. Does it have points or electronic circuitry built in?  Or is it just a coil activated by the magnets on the flywheel?  If the latter, I'm surprised the will generate enough voltage for a spark.

Chuck

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
Nice build, Doug.  The finished engine looks stunning.  I'm curious about the weed eater coil. Does it have points or electronic circuitry built in?  Or is it just a coil activated by the magnets on the flywheel?  If the latter, I'm surprised the will generate enough voltage for a spark.

Chuck

Thanks for the kind words...

What you see is all that is there, just the coil and lead wire.  I used two neodymium magnets on the flywheel, maybe overkill, but I had them from a previous project.  The coil produces a BRIGHT blue spark all the way down to about 500 RPM, then it fades away.  This is not an issue, because the smaller and lighter flywheel I used can't really get the engine around to another compression stroke at that RPM anyway (tons of compression with the Viton o-ring). It is the same coil arraignment used on my Webster and it works beautifully.

It is strong enough that I have been zapped a few times pretty hard by accidentally touching the kill pin on the coil while holding the engine.  Not quite a tazer, but I did let go of it very quickly!

Doug

"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt