Author Topic: Why do you like living where you do.  (Read 15170 times)

Offline techno ludite

Why do you like living where you do.
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:04:28 AM »
Hi All.

I guess being out of work sucks bigtime for me with no money coming in, only the JSA which will only last till Sept which I find strange being a tax payer who wants to work, but can't find a suitable job for the skills that I have.

Anywho, I've been pondering where would I go if money was no object, being a brit (not allowed to call myself english for fear of upsetting anyone) I could certainly leave England for good, no more rain or cold weather. I would certainly go somewhere warm for the majority of the year and a little rain ( less than an 1" ), clear skies ( light pollution ).

So where do you live and what is it like.

TL  :loco:

Bored and fedup of 51.45202,-1.023591

lordedmond

Re: Why do you like living where you do.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »
utopia would be a good place to start  :doh:

but I cannot find the lat and long tried goggle but failed  :(

BTW I like being out of work gave up on that silly pastime at 50 that was 14 years ago  :D

Stuart

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
S'pose watching 'Doc Hollywood' at the weekend doesn't help, that fictional place of 'Grady' looked idyllic, now that would suit me down to the ground  :med:. My end of days is 15yrs away but looks as though I might have keep working till I'm 70 or so the way things are going.

TL

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:38:16 AM »
I've got my eye on Southern Portugal. Not sure what happens if their economy does go supernova, as is being suggested; if it knocks property prices for 6 then I might be trying to buy a bit sooner than I anticipated...

As far as I can tell, Portugal is the perfect place for expat Brits: 1) The Portuguese (mostly) like us, so long as we're not football yobs & at least make an effort to integrate; 2) The weather is very nearly Spanish, but not quite so extremely hot in the middle of summer; 3) Better property laws mean the place doesn't look like an abandoned building site; 3) They're even on GMT so you don't need to fiddle with your watch  :lol:; 4) Superb new race track at Portimao will keep the likes of me happy, and out of trouble....

America looks to have some fantastically cheap property/land, if you're willing to live away from the metropolis. Quite difficult to get a green card though.

PS:

but can't find a suitable job for the skills that I have.

In that case, can I suggest re-training? If you're not already doing computery stuff, it's worth a try (especially if you can get the Govt to fund your training). When I move abroad, I will carry on doing exactly the same job that I do now; only from somewhere nicer. That's the beauty of computer programming... Of course, it is also soul destroyingly tedious, but that's because I've been doing it for years...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:40:34 AM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »
'No more rain and cold weather' means drought and heatstroke ... neither very desirable ...

I'm too ancient to go anywhere now ...  :(

In any case,  I don't want to miss out on the 'Big Society'  ...  ::)

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

MrFluffy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »
I love living where I do in rural france because you get deer walking past the house, lots of wildlife in the garden, 10 hectare lake at the foot of the garden with a stream which winds it way round, tractors at the supermarket when it snows with family in the cab and farmers putting their shopping bags in the front loader bucket, I only ever see coppers manning speed traps and I leave all my vehicles unlocked in the yard (indeed the jcb and tractors don't even take keys) and the locals seem to know the value of being able to fix things, and keep things in service longer. Planning permission is only on exterior changes of buildings unless its a very protected graded listed building, so you can change what you like without some inspector coming round and dictating how its done, or having trenches etc left open waiting for him to arrive on his schedule.
Its not uncommon to see some vintage tractor from the 40's or 50's toiling away still, scruffy and unrestored but in working condition pulling some water bowser or running a topper, no doubt left hitched to it to save messing round with implements on the main tractor. And theres none of this having a new car to keep up with people to get the latest numberplate as the plates have no year coding, in fact my neighbors just bought a "new" car and they actively chose a older one because it was still based on stuff they could fix. Given the amount of 2cv's and renault 4's still bouncing round as workhorses and not as some sort of quirky statement, I suspect thats quite a common view. Last year we saw a r4 parked outside the mairee's with the rear seats taken out and two goats inside munching on hay and watching passers by, presumably en route to the vets for some treatment.
Ive helped neighbors get cow's hips back in with my engine hoist, used the hydraulic press to straighten bits of combine mid harvest and other typically rural bits. In return they're happy to dig small stuff with their mini digger when my old jcb is too large, unload new toys with a telehandler and fork it into the buildings etc.
In summer my neighbors one way often have soiree's where they consume wine and laugh a lot late into the evening with their friends in their (immaculate) garden, and I often see them out cycling, and theyre well into their 70's, and still having fun. Just a slower pace of life, and more focus on quality of life than money and plastic doodah's.
I think theres probably places that this sort of life happens still in the uk, in very rural parts, but it always seems to me that sort of thing is so sort after there its a preserve for the rich. Here the cities seem to be where its at, and so its cheaper to live here than in some horrible concrete jungle :scratch:

I also ride a motorcycle, and the whole attitude is completely different. People move out the way for me when I come up behind them on the autoroute, or to one side on the smaller routes if Im moving faster, theres none of this deliberate blocking and people mostly practice lane discipline or rapidly get flashed out the way by others. I havent seen a "no motorcyclists" sign in a bar at all either. Complete contrast to the uk, its like Im just another person instead of some subhuman animal...

On the minus side, the business legislation and reporting systems/taxations/social charges systems are insane, everything runs on paperwork here and its a nightmare and there is no real desire to minimize that because 1 in 4 are employed to shuffle paperwork round in some capacity. Its taken us years to understand the details and we're still learning. Theres the language problem, which eases with work and time if you put the effort in and my kids are completely bilingual at 3 and 6, switching without a accent in both and the 6yo boy corrects his english teacher, which is a asset I hope they exploit in future ;)

However all this was just a happy accident, when I bought my first house here I had only ever been for a booze cruise for the beer for my wedding, in fact I committed to buy before even seeing it (my wife liked it, so who am I to argue with the boss?), it could quite as easily have been italy, somewhere in scandinavia, aus, the US, canada etc.
Its a big world out there, with a awful lot of pleasant places. I'd be tempted to do some controlled wandering if I were you. People are mostly friendly and the same species wherever you go, steer clear of big cities and expensive places and everyone gets a lot friendly when their stress level goes down  :headbang:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
Well I guess I'll be the first US resident to jump in here.

I live in western New York. If you want to google that just type in Rochester and I live approximatley 20 miles (32 Km) of there. It's not quite out, what some call the sticks or woods, but close. I kind of like the change of seasons, even though this year I think winter over stayed it's welcome. Summer's can get quite humid for a couple of days or weeks. We usally cure that by going to our retread in the 1000 Islands and go out on the boat to keep cool, also our little retreat has central air. I always tell the wife "Nothing like camping with a porcelin toilet and airconditioning'. I also like the change of seasons. Spring brings the birds back and I'm always interested to see if the same birds come back to their nesting areas. Autumn is wonderful to with changing of leaves.

But if I "had" to choose to live somewhere else it would be somewhere south like Virgina or up northeast, Vermont or New Hampshire. As far as state goverments are concerned, your not going to run away from taxes or outlandish laws.

Oh, I did forget to mention we live on almost 6 acers of land back off the road about 1/10" of a mile. Makes for one long drive to plow in the winter, but who cares, I'm reitred. It's the wife that needs to go to work. So far she's only got stuck once. We had a lot of snow over night. When she left she got about 20 feet out of the garage and had a huge amount of snow she was pushing with the car. So I had to start the tractor and make a path. So that's not to bad for living here almost 11 years. I've grown up in this area so being in the same place for almost 50 years it kind of grows on you.

I'm staying were I am.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

tumutbound

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
Time for an Aussie to chime in.
I live in Sydney and have for the last 40 or so years.  The  winters are pretty mild i.e. it rarely gets below 10°C but the summers are hot and humid and I've decided it time to move.
I'm in the process of moving to Hobart, Tasmania where 10°C would be a warm winter day.  I was down there a month ago and the temperature where I was, got down to 6°C -  at the same time Sydney was having a week of  37+°C temperatures.

Most of the people I know of my age, at or near to retirement plan to head north to warmer climates, I;m the only one I know who plans to move south.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:32:23 AM by tumutbound »

Offline Trion

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »
Trying to keep it short. ::)
Norway has great nature, loads of "untouched" places available for anyone to hike on or go skiing in the winter. A lake around every corner where you can take a swim in the summer, though the water rarely goes beyond 16-17 deg celsius. A warm summer day is 25 degrees celsius or warmer, we have about 20-30 of those a year, give or take a few.. I live southwest quite close to the ocean, so winter temps rarely drop beyond -5 degrees C. Snow usually stays for 2-3 weeks a year, 2010 was out of normal. In between the hot summerdays and snowy days there is a nice spring and fall, often with good weather but lower temperatures. Mind you, we do get our fair share of rain too..
We have great healthcare and retirement programs, but also very high income taxes ~30%-40%. Oh, education is practically free, I pay 70£ a year to go to university to get my masters degree.
Cars are silly expensive, so is petrol and houses. In my region a house in a town easily costs twice as much as the same house on the countryside (at least 45minutes away). A house on the countryside can be very cheap, but you need to find a job there, like everywhere else.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
Pacific Northwest, Washington. Doesnt rain, its a constant drizzle, if it hits 70 degrees its a heat wave. Northern California born and raised, left there as the english language was becoming a second language and the 10 percent state income tax on top of federal is just crazy.

Some mornings get this view. Considering moving a bit east to the other side of the mountains to get away from the dampness here. Perfect place tho, is where ever the Bride still believes I'm a handsome bloke and the dog wags her tail when she sees me.

Robert 
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
i live in the middle of calif and i really hate this state %%&*^%%%(*% bad. i here only cause my father passed away and i sold everything i have to take care of the expences.  this *&)(*&%$^&* state sucks BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!! mom still alive so i promised i would stay till she goes then im gone like a fart in the wind and NEVER returning.  CALIFORNIA SUCKS and if you dont like me saying that then come on over and ill fix your head for you.

Offline Andy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
I live in Yorkshire, England. Although I live in a fairly built up area on the edge of a city, I am less than 5 miles away from many museums (including an excellent industrial one and the National Film and Photography museum), historical sites, theatres and music venues, all manner of shops and businesses, mixed countryside, including a few miles of woodland only a 10 minute walk from my house. The historic Leeds and Liverpool canal passes only a mile from the house, on one its most attractive sections.

What else? A bit further afield, National Railway Museum at York, the Yorkshire Dales in all their glory, loads of stately homes and castles and more museums, steam rallies in the summer. And we've still only gone about 30 to 40 miles from my house. In the UK it is all about variety. The scene changes constantly. I think that many UK people really don't appreciate what they've got.

Although many complain about the weather, I have no problem with it. It rarely gets really cold, it rarely gets really hot. We get the variety of the seasons here.

Variety, that's what its all about.

Oh, nearly forgot. RDG is less than an hour away, via a pleasant drive through some of the best moorland country in Yorkshire.  :med:
From probably the smallest, dampest and most untidy workshop in Bradford, West Yorks, England, if not the world..

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Hi,
Sunny South Africa :beer:

Dave
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline jim

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:35 PM »
i'm happy in the midlands!

sure its not perfect, but its home
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
Hi,

I suspect the old favourits for immigration from your land still apply.  Canada, Australia and NZ.

Unfortunately you can no longer get a free trip to Australia by picking someone's pocket and you can not now come to NZ for just 10 quid. :beer:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
I'm happy in Sale. One reason is that my back gate leads to the local cricket/lawn tennis/lacrosse/field hockey club.  It has a bar. In fact, I see that it's  :beer: o'clock right now. Bye!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
I have to tell you Scrooby is not too bad. I live 200 yards away from my grand children and only 1 mile away from God's own County.( For non believers that is Yorkshire) I have lived all my life with in 10 miles from where I was born. I have had the good fortune to travel the world  at my employer's expense on business visiting places that no tourist would ever go so I am not as insular as I would seem.
Doncaster is really my home town and, as a well known journalist, Michael Parkinson, said "Ah - Doncaster, only a town that it's son's could love". That about sums it up, I could no more recommend Doncaster than "fly over the moon" but its where my oldest chums live. I have many friends all over the place but nowhere is quite like home.

I hope I don't sound smug but life's not that bad here.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
I live in North Idaho.  If I could leave here and move anyplace on Earth, I'd move to North Idaho.
Four seasons, forest, prairie, rivers, lakes, snow, rain, hot, cold, and all that.  If it's warm, you go do what
you want to do.  If it rains, you go do what you want to do.  If it snows 2 ft., you shovel and plow, and go
do what you wanted to do.  Simple.  I'll die here and be happy about it.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
 :bugeye: :bugeye:  Yikes never imagined a response like this, you have exceeded yourselves.

So I've found out what part of the world you all like, were do I come from, the lat & long in my sig shows where I live, alledgedly I live in the affluent south but the government is trying to fix that.

Most Tilehurst people still call it Tilehurst or in olden times it was called 'Tigelhurst' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilehurst or though its now part of the urban sprawl that is Reading and that is gradually becoming a suburb of London, to the south we have 2 atomic weapons factories so when 'Terminator' kens robots start to takeover, the fan will get covered bigtime, next the M4 out of London that brings all the wanna-be gangsta's and everything else along with it. Next is the K & A canal, to the north is the river thames which to me is the north/south divide, I suppose when I started noticing the change in tilehurst was in the mid 80's when an old school buddy of mine was murdered in a local pub.

I know some will say why don't I move the answer is money or the lack of, a decent mid-terraced house costs anywhere from £180k upwards, thats why if money was no object I would certainly leave England forever

Hi,

I suspect the old favourits for immigration from your land still apply.  Canada, Australia and NZ.

Unfortunately you can no longer get a free trip to Australia by picking someone's pocket and you can not now come to NZ for just 10 quid. :beer:

and if my father hadn't bottled it the late 60's we would have been £10 poms.

So where would I like to live, I've this fascination of places with strange names Burkina Faso is definitely on the list along with Alice Springs and Greece esp the Ionian Islands they are so laid back there and anywhere that is warm, so it doesn't take long to get going in the morning the cold weather really screws up my knee's and hands.

So if I do come up on the lottery you might be getting a visit. Keep posting as this is my only means of escaping.  :nrocks: :nrocks:

TL

Offline Pete49

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
Alice springs would certainly get you going :) 40+C summer temps 25C sorta winter temps (nights can be - 5) its desert country so not a lot of rain but not sahara type desert.  :bugeye:
Pretty much centre of Oz and lots of distances to get anywhere and population about 30 thousand from memory. I prefer Sth Oz :D
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
 :) Sunny Windhoek in Namibia for me  :)

Very little in terms of natural hazards (no earthquakes/hurricanes/tornadoes/volcanoes) - just the odd drought.

Summers can get a bit hot at up to 38C; Winter nights rarely go below 0C in Windhoek...

And a couple of hours drive in any direction there's stunning scenery to see.  Once in a while I take a drive into either the Kalahari or Namib desert and spend a couple of days in nature; there's nothing like a break-away to a remote desert location with no signs of civilisation around to clean one's soul...

I like animals and nature a lot so it's ideal; and one can get close to both here.  Had the privilege of playing with baby lion, hyaena, leopard, cheetah and many other species.  Being extremely fond of birds, I helped out quite a bit at a close-by bird sanctuary with hawks, eagles & owls.  They are SHARP  :lol:

Fortunately this is not a complete "Nanny" state either; A quick visit to a friend on a farm, and I can take my firearms along and pop off rounds at targets to my heart's content.  Once in a while, a trip amongst the game and I can pop off a careful round, mess around with a meat saw, mincer and sausage maker and bring back some meat to re-stock the freezer.  None of the stuff that gets sold in white foamalite packets with "sanitary pads" in the bottom; I know where my food comes from and it's free-range to boot.

It used to be nice driving long distances here as well; with the average distance between towns about 200 km, the roads are long and straight.  Spent my share of driving at way over 180km/h.  Recently the cops started being a bit more "energetic" - so are checking up a lot more.  Just yesterday, I got hauled over and got a friendly - but firm - chewing out.  Fortunately the cop didn't have a laser speed camera and was in a good mood.  I was doing well over the speed limit on the highway... - let's just say I would have overtaken someone doing 100mph at a good clip  :lol:

Lived here all my life; just an 18 month stint away to study in Port Elizabeth in South Africa - and I got terribly homesick.  I visit SA once or twice a year, but that's enough.  12 years ago, I spent 3 weeks in Germany on a training course and to supervise the commissioning and sign-off for equipment.  It was nice in Munich, but it was really nice to get back home.  Next year, I'm planning on getting to the Harrowgate show, and a bit of a tour through Scotland - visiting distilleries  :)

Some things are harder here though; getting tools and material can be a royal pain.  Sometimes I longingly read posts where people can just pop out and buy metals with all kinds of weird and wonderful specifications while I'm having to make do with any bits of unknown origin I can get my hands on.  Many suppliers - especially in the US - does not even acknowledge the existence of Namibia  :lol:  But then again, I think I learnt a hell of a lot more about machining because of this  :)  And buying new tools is easy as well; with no selection available, the choice is to buy what I can find or do without it  :lol:

Unfortunately the job market here is small, and unemployment is high, so emigrating to Namibia to come end earn a living would be pretty much a no-no, except for some highly specialised professionals.  But for anybody contemplating a holiday to a "different" destination, have a look at Namibia; you might be surprised!

I've looked at emigrating to other countries in the past; I easily qualify for various countries, but there's just something in me that keeps me here in Namibia...  And be warned; I've met many people who came here on a quick visit, and then ended up moving here permanently  :lol:

:beer:, Arnold

Oh - I forgot; we have some of the best beer in the world as well - now exporting to the UK :)

Offline krv3000

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
HI well I have bin to the usa sanfransisco a nice place bin to canader nice place to bin to feje er not my cup of tee seeing toples lades all day  :jaw: bin to japan mmmm  I live in the uk not far from durham city its a butiful part of the cuntry to live in go on google and av a look the north of the uk was once the factory of the world but not any more 
still wood not want to live any wher els im 48 and lived in the same place all that time being with out a job and disabeld gets me dawn gnaw and then but you all ensper me to keep on playing in me work shop     :D  regards bob

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »
I have lived in NZ most of my life, except when I was somewhere else usually working for periods of a few weeks to a few years.  Islands of the Pacific, Austrlia, US, Canada, UK, Czech Republic, Egypt... even some places that are in the news at times,  Afghanistan, Iraq and North Korea.

If I could not live in NZ I would want to live in Australia, but dont tell any Australians that! :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline BK

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
I heard that!!! :bugeye:
Wise choice, can't have my place, I'm staying right here.
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Offline maybecnc

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 08:22:04 AM »
I've got my eye on Southern Portugal. Not sure what happens if their economy does go supernova, as is being suggested; if it knocks property prices for 6 then I might be trying to buy a bit sooner than I anticipated...

As far as I can tell, Portugal is the perfect place for expat Brits: 1) The Portuguese (mostly) like us, so long as we're not football yobs & at least make an effort to integrate; 2) The weather is very nearly Spanish, but not quite so extremely hot in the middle of summer; 3) Better property laws mean the place doesn't look like an abandoned building site; 3) They're even on GMT so you don't need to fiddle with your watch  :lol:; 4) Superb new race track at Portimao will keep the likes of me happy, and out of trouble....

AdeV,

I'm very happy to see you like Portugal and planning to come. And time is on your side, as property prices have been falling down for the last 5 years and will continue that way this year. I'm aware that there are real estate businesses established here only to sell properties in Portugal to Britts, but you may want to check out property prices outside these companies to see if you can get it cheaper. You should expect some overpricing on properties when they are advertised in English.

Prices can be significantly lower now than a few years ago and many, many people  desperately trying to sell properties.
Latest project: Modifying chucks for front monting  http://www.toolsandmods.com/mini-lathe-chuck-backplate.html

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
I`m very happy North West England - near enough to a huge city centre yet I live 10 miles away in a little village.

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
I live in Pilot Hill, in the CA foothills not far from Folsom, CA.

This is the front deck.

This is a small part of the view from the front deck looking toward the Sierra Nevada. Lake Tahoe is an hour and a half to the East, San Francisco is an hour and a half to the West, Yosemite National Park is two hours to the South. Need I say more?  :beer:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:59:56 PM by Troutsqueezer »
-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 03:59:02 AM »
Concidering the situation around the world - Japan, New Zealand with EQ and tsunamis, the US with all the tornados AND a Yellow Stone "bomb" ticking, middle east with the people raising against dictators - then Denmark seems like an kind of Utopia or fairytale country !

If you are a foreigner maybe it's not so easy to come to Denmark - sometimes I am ashamed of danish policy on foreigners, now you have to earn some points to get qualified to enter Denmark - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad - hard to say !

We DON'T have no EQ, no atomic power plants (some nearby though !), no tsinamis, no vulcanos, no nothing, no murdering of people downtown, no corruption (I think that's must be one of the hardest things to live with . you can't "move" unless you can "pay" !) - some would say "boring" ... maybe, maybe not !

We DO have a very high tax to pay, we can say what we want to say in every aspect of life !

When one get older, one may think in the long run it's a better way to organize as we do here in Denmark - at least I do !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:01:49 AM by ksor »
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »
'The grass is always greener'

There is nowhere in this world that is perfect, it is all in one's own mind.

As long as you have enough to eat and a roof over your head, call it home and be thankful for what you really have.

I lived in the gulf for a while, just down the road from Dubai, and always wanted to go to live there.

But then, rather than always thinking of the positives, I also looked at the negatives.
Massive lazy flies everywhere, and not just in the summer, the place stank all the time, you had to run between the shadows to prevent getting your skin blistered (within a few days of being out there, the tops of my feet were one massive blister), and the money stank worse than the streets, brownish bits of paper that must have transferred everything from the common cold to leprosy, continually having to drink copious amounts of liquid, just to prevent yourself dropping dead in the street.
It's OK if you have the money to be isolated from the rough stuff, but for the normal person, not a nice place to be.

I am sure, all you with fantastic views etc, if push came to shove, you too could come up with a long list of things wrong with your 'paradise'.

Just get on with life and make the most of what you have, otherwise you will all end up as grumpy old men.

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »
Concidering the situation around the world - Japan, New Zealand with EQ and tsunamis, the US with all the tornados AND a Yellow Stone "bomb" ticking, middle east with the people raising against dictators - then Denmark seems like an kind of Utopia or fairytale country !

If you are a foreigner maybe it's not so easy to come to Denmark - sometimes I am ashamed of danish policy on foreigners, now you have to earn some points to get qualified to enter Denmark - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad - hard to say !

We DON'T have no EQ, no atomic power plants (some nearby though !), no tsinamis, no vulcanos, no nothing, no murdering of people downtown, no corruption (I think that's must be one of the hardest things to live with . you can't "move" unless you can "pay" !) - some would say "boring" ... maybe, maybe not !

We DO have a very high tax to pay, we can say what we want to say in every aspect of life !

When one get older, one may think in the long run it's a better way to organize as we do here in Denmark - at least I do !

No tsunamis in Denmark, Ksor ??

How come you missed this one? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunamis_in_the_United_Kingdom

Well, Doggerland is near enough Denmark anyway ...  :lol:

Dave BC

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
Bluechip I agree with you. I live in Sweden and I have difficult to imagen me living somewhere else. We do have some hard gale sometimes but otherwize it's good. Yes high tax but I belive that I got something for it..  :thumbup:

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
Hi saw

I think you mean 'Bogs' ??

Dave BC

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
 'Bogs' ???
Is it "hard gale " you meen? Well I have to translate it and that word comes up..  :zap:

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »
saw

Either I've lost you, or you've lost me ...  :lol:  :lol:

I think you are agreeing with a post stating ' they like the country where they live'.. ??

Which was either Bogs or ksor  :thumbup:

The blue part in my post was a quote from ksor ...

Not to worry, I like Volvos anyway, ....

BC

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
'The grass is always greener'

There is nowhere in this world that is perfect, it is all in one's own mind.

As long as you have enough to eat and a roof over your head, call it home and be thankful for what you really have.

I lived in the gulf for a while, just down the road from Dubai, and always wanted to go to live there.

But then, rather than always thinking of the positives, I also looked at the negatives..

I am sure, all you with fantastic views etc, if push came to shove, you too could come up with a long list of things wrong with your 'paradise'.

Just get on with life and make the most of what you have, otherwise you will all end up as grumpy old men.

Bogs

How very true I once lived in South Africa, Germiston to be precise..

Great life style good weather, decent job...but not really home...Biggest barrier was the lingo...and the resentful Afrikaaners...

We returned home to Blighty in 1982..no job..no home...almost penniless..

Now I live out in the 'countryside'
Work is 2mi down the road and is 8.30-4.30...
I live in a detached house with a modest workshop/garage and make of life what I can...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
Im in the pacific northwest, Walla walla Washington to be precise. The weather is mild we get 4 seasons. I live out of the city so I can have livestock and shoot guns in my yard. My place is on a dead end private road so I dont get any traffic. the yard is fenced all around so I have 3 pit bull mix dogs so crime is not an issue. Farming is the main industries , wheat and wine grapes are big here as are the onions.

We have 2 universities and a community college plus the state prison, that offers the youth a choice.  :headbang:

My town is peaceful and boring and we like it just like that.

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »
I'm happy to be where I am, in good old Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England  :) But I could be very tempted, if the chance came my way to live in Canada. I visited friends back in 2001 and fell in love with the country and its people. The downside is Canadian beer is crap   :lol:

Rob :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

I was born here, just south of Rob. A long time ago......  :wave:

When WW2 finished. We moved just north of Rob, Brighouse. (I had no say, I was too young)....  ::)

25 years later, visiting here. I met the present Mrs. Drillin, and decided I wasn't moving again!  :thumbup:

It's nice 'ere........  :D

David D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:59:28 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
At the minute it's boring old Austria.
It's nice here, little house next to a forest. Occasionally I get deer and a few other critters in my garden.

I'm happier here than I was in South Africa, were I was born and raised.
Dunno if we will stay here forever, have to see how life works out. If I have learnt one thing over the years, it's that life never goes the way you think it will.

Nowhere is perfect, in the end one can only find their own "perfect place".

arnoldb, Namibia is great! I was stationed there for a few years back in the 80's and I still think of the place as my second home.
I send a lot of European hunters that direction when they ask me about hunting in Africa.

Offline Gazz292

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »
well, i dont like living where i do to be honnest, but that's cos i get cabin fever after being in one place for more than a year.

i was a forces brat, so grew up moving every few years, Yorkshire, oxfordshire, germany (rhiendahlen), hampshire, germany (krefeld), rutland, lincolnshire, then moved from my parents to nottinghamshire.

if i could choose, i'd live in germany, or anywhere on the continent, heck, my dream would be to live fulltime in an american RV touring the continent, but i can hardly afford the fuel in my motorhome at 20mpg, i'd never be able to afford 8mpg in an american RV.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Gazz, you should build your own motorhome....

I get 17mpg out of her (diesel), front engine means there's piles of space underneath for stuff; as she's laid out now she's a car transported in the back with combined living/sleeping up front; but it wouldn't take much effort to rip out the transporter bit, and make a really nice bedroom/bathroom in the back, living up front, kitchen in the middle, hot-tub... :) She's tax free in the UK (1969 model), the only real downside is, you wouldn't get her into a Low Emissions Zone (e.g. central London) without paying whatever the fee is these days.

BTW, she's for sale (as is) for £8k ono if you're interested in a project...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...