Author Topic: Why do you like living where you do.  (Read 15171 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Why do you like living where you do.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
I`m very happy North West England - near enough to a huge city centre yet I live 10 miles away in a little village.

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
I live in Pilot Hill, in the CA foothills not far from Folsom, CA.

This is the front deck.

This is a small part of the view from the front deck looking toward the Sierra Nevada. Lake Tahoe is an hour and a half to the East, San Francisco is an hour and a half to the West, Yosemite National Park is two hours to the South. Need I say more?  :beer:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:59:56 PM by Troutsqueezer »
-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 03:59:02 AM »
Concidering the situation around the world - Japan, New Zealand with EQ and tsunamis, the US with all the tornados AND a Yellow Stone "bomb" ticking, middle east with the people raising against dictators - then Denmark seems like an kind of Utopia or fairytale country !

If you are a foreigner maybe it's not so easy to come to Denmark - sometimes I am ashamed of danish policy on foreigners, now you have to earn some points to get qualified to enter Denmark - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad - hard to say !

We DON'T have no EQ, no atomic power plants (some nearby though !), no tsinamis, no vulcanos, no nothing, no murdering of people downtown, no corruption (I think that's must be one of the hardest things to live with . you can't "move" unless you can "pay" !) - some would say "boring" ... maybe, maybe not !

We DO have a very high tax to pay, we can say what we want to say in every aspect of life !

When one get older, one may think in the long run it's a better way to organize as we do here in Denmark - at least I do !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:01:49 AM by ksor »
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »
'The grass is always greener'

There is nowhere in this world that is perfect, it is all in one's own mind.

As long as you have enough to eat and a roof over your head, call it home and be thankful for what you really have.

I lived in the gulf for a while, just down the road from Dubai, and always wanted to go to live there.

But then, rather than always thinking of the positives, I also looked at the negatives.
Massive lazy flies everywhere, and not just in the summer, the place stank all the time, you had to run between the shadows to prevent getting your skin blistered (within a few days of being out there, the tops of my feet were one massive blister), and the money stank worse than the streets, brownish bits of paper that must have transferred everything from the common cold to leprosy, continually having to drink copious amounts of liquid, just to prevent yourself dropping dead in the street.
It's OK if you have the money to be isolated from the rough stuff, but for the normal person, not a nice place to be.

I am sure, all you with fantastic views etc, if push came to shove, you too could come up with a long list of things wrong with your 'paradise'.

Just get on with life and make the most of what you have, otherwise you will all end up as grumpy old men.

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »
Concidering the situation around the world - Japan, New Zealand with EQ and tsunamis, the US with all the tornados AND a Yellow Stone "bomb" ticking, middle east with the people raising against dictators - then Denmark seems like an kind of Utopia or fairytale country !

If you are a foreigner maybe it's not so easy to come to Denmark - sometimes I am ashamed of danish policy on foreigners, now you have to earn some points to get qualified to enter Denmark - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad - hard to say !

We DON'T have no EQ, no atomic power plants (some nearby though !), no tsinamis, no vulcanos, no nothing, no murdering of people downtown, no corruption (I think that's must be one of the hardest things to live with . you can't "move" unless you can "pay" !) - some would say "boring" ... maybe, maybe not !

We DO have a very high tax to pay, we can say what we want to say in every aspect of life !

When one get older, one may think in the long run it's a better way to organize as we do here in Denmark - at least I do !

No tsunamis in Denmark, Ksor ??

How come you missed this one? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunamis_in_the_United_Kingdom

Well, Doggerland is near enough Denmark anyway ...  :lol:

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
Bluechip I agree with you. I live in Sweden and I have difficult to imagen me living somewhere else. We do have some hard gale sometimes but otherwize it's good. Yes high tax but I belive that I got something for it..  :thumbup:

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
Hi saw

I think you mean 'Bogs' ??

Dave BC

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
 'Bogs' ???
Is it "hard gale " you meen? Well I have to translate it and that word comes up..  :zap:

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »
saw

Either I've lost you, or you've lost me ...  :lol:  :lol:

I think you are agreeing with a post stating ' they like the country where they live'.. ??

Which was either Bogs or ksor  :thumbup:

The blue part in my post was a quote from ksor ...

Not to worry, I like Volvos anyway, ....

BC

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
'The grass is always greener'

There is nowhere in this world that is perfect, it is all in one's own mind.

As long as you have enough to eat and a roof over your head, call it home and be thankful for what you really have.

I lived in the gulf for a while, just down the road from Dubai, and always wanted to go to live there.

But then, rather than always thinking of the positives, I also looked at the negatives..

I am sure, all you with fantastic views etc, if push came to shove, you too could come up with a long list of things wrong with your 'paradise'.

Just get on with life and make the most of what you have, otherwise you will all end up as grumpy old men.

Bogs

How very true I once lived in South Africa, Germiston to be precise..

Great life style good weather, decent job...but not really home...Biggest barrier was the lingo...and the resentful Afrikaaners...

We returned home to Blighty in 1982..no job..no home...almost penniless..

Now I live out in the 'countryside'
Work is 2mi down the road and is 8.30-4.30...
I live in a detached house with a modest workshop/garage and make of life what I can...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
Im in the pacific northwest, Walla walla Washington to be precise. The weather is mild we get 4 seasons. I live out of the city so I can have livestock and shoot guns in my yard. My place is on a dead end private road so I dont get any traffic. the yard is fenced all around so I have 3 pit bull mix dogs so crime is not an issue. Farming is the main industries , wheat and wine grapes are big here as are the onions.

We have 2 universities and a community college plus the state prison, that offers the youth a choice.  :headbang:

My town is peaceful and boring and we like it just like that.

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »
I'm happy to be where I am, in good old Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England  :) But I could be very tempted, if the chance came my way to live in Canada. I visited friends back in 2001 and fell in love with the country and its people. The downside is Canadian beer is crap   :lol:

Rob :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

I was born here, just south of Rob. A long time ago......  :wave:

When WW2 finished. We moved just north of Rob, Brighouse. (I had no say, I was too young)....  ::)

25 years later, visiting here. I met the present Mrs. Drillin, and decided I wasn't moving again!  :thumbup:

It's nice 'ere........  :D

David D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:59:28 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Corvus corax

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
At the minute it's boring old Austria.
It's nice here, little house next to a forest. Occasionally I get deer and a few other critters in my garden.

I'm happier here than I was in South Africa, were I was born and raised.
Dunno if we will stay here forever, have to see how life works out. If I have learnt one thing over the years, it's that life never goes the way you think it will.

Nowhere is perfect, in the end one can only find their own "perfect place".

arnoldb, Namibia is great! I was stationed there for a few years back in the 80's and I still think of the place as my second home.
I send a lot of European hunters that direction when they ask me about hunting in Africa.

Offline Gazz292

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »
well, i dont like living where i do to be honnest, but that's cos i get cabin fever after being in one place for more than a year.

i was a forces brat, so grew up moving every few years, Yorkshire, oxfordshire, germany (rhiendahlen), hampshire, germany (krefeld), rutland, lincolnshire, then moved from my parents to nottinghamshire.

if i could choose, i'd live in germany, or anywhere on the continent, heck, my dream would be to live fulltime in an american RV touring the continent, but i can hardly afford the fuel in my motorhome at 20mpg, i'd never be able to afford 8mpg in an american RV.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Gazz, you should build your own motorhome....

I get 17mpg out of her (diesel), front engine means there's piles of space underneath for stuff; as she's laid out now she's a car transported in the back with combined living/sleeping up front; but it wouldn't take much effort to rip out the transporter bit, and make a really nice bedroom/bathroom in the back, living up front, kitchen in the middle, hot-tub... :) She's tax free in the UK (1969 model), the only real downside is, you wouldn't get her into a Low Emissions Zone (e.g. central London) without paying whatever the fee is these days.

BTW, she's for sale (as is) for £8k ono if you're interested in a project...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...