Author Topic: Old Sidecar Build  (Read 14179 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Old Sidecar Build
« on: November 22, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
Rather than post in Powder Keg's excellent sidecar thread, as it's top quality and doesn't need side-tracking  ::) I thought I'd start another .............. this is a bit nostalgic really and it's all PK's fault for reminding me about it  :bow:

Wen I were now't bura bairn ............... or for those on the other side of the pond ............ when I was a (very) young lad ..............

This will be late Fifties btw, my Dad and two of his mates built a sidecar to go on mi' Dad's Norton, the bike IIRC looked something like this one ............

as for the sidecar, I've trawled the web and can't find anything exact ........... but I think it was something like this one ..........

though I think there was only one door and the front seat tipped forward so I could get in the back ............ "Mum" ............. had the front seat ...........   :bow:

Blimey, I was only about 6 or 7 .......... no wonder I have a hankering to fix and build things  :thumbup:

CC
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:27:16 PM by CrewCab »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Old Sidecar Build
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:53:43 PM »
CC,

Looks like you could put a small motor in the front, add a front wheel and you'd have a mini car. :D

Question. Being in Britan would the side car be on the left side as opposed to the right?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
Hmmm. I might have to build one of those.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:51:33 AM »

Question. Being in Britan would the side car be on the left side as opposed to the right?

It would indeed be on the left Bernd.

CC

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
So many projects so little time.

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Circlip

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
Ugh, sidecars, only drove one once, permanant retracted sphincter. Yer bike CC is a Norton ES2, the other box dragger par exellance bar NON was Cleckheaton's (yes, just down the road from you) finest, the Panther 650 sloper. If you trawl t'internet, yer dad may have been copying the BUSMAR Double Adult, and even/especially in the hands of a seasoned sidecar pilot, was terrifying riding shotgun in the front seat of. The best looking "Rig" was a Rapide fitted with a Steib ----- sacrilidge but good looking.
  Regards  Ian.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
Thanks for that Ian, I found a picture of the BUSMAR Double Adult .... Here... and your most likely right, that looks pretty much as I remember it ........... then again it would be late fifties / very early sixties so .......  unfortunately .......  memories have faded a nad's by now.

Sidecar's have never been my thing though, as for Bikes .......... I've ridden .........all sorts really, from old British stuff through to the current "Superbikes" and including big tourer's ...........   up till about 2 years ago, but now I tend to stick to 4 wheels.

CC

Offline madmick

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
hi crewcab,it could and probably is the Busmar double adult,but the Canterbury double adult was very similar as i seem to remember,Canterbury used to pride themselves on their coach work and were usually finished with better paintwork and upholstry than Busmar.I agree with circlip that the panther was a good chair puller but i seem to recolect it being a 600 cc single ,had an BSA M21 with a chair that i managed to tow start  my old fellahs Ford Prefect with! Those were the days eh?-ricketts and iron lungs,pc's on point duty,aa patrol men waving to members,tuppence for a box of matches,3 and ninepence for a packet of 3,shilling for an' air cut' ,dont get me going!!  I loved my chairs ,the best outfit i had was a 1954 plunger gold flash with a watsonion palma child adult,made a terific noise,last combo was a triumph TR6Tiger with a watsonian GPchair,looked the biz and scared thre hell out of you at 90! long live the great british combo.hope you get round to finishing it circlip. :beer:
i am a 54 year old loony machinest,engineer and inventor of daft ideas that will never make a fortune! currently working on simple dividing head,toolpost mounted,low cost but multi indexing.any body got any ideas? currently running a myford ml7 that is as old as myself!actually made on my birthday!!