Author Topic: metal spinning tail stock device for holding disc?  (Read 5392 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
metal spinning tail stock device for holding disc?
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »

I had put this at the other metal spinning post, seems that that line of inquire is not going anywhere.

Back to the question, all of the information on assorted metal spinning sites. Really doesn't give a good idea of either what type of tail stock live center, to modify to use. Since the tool rest is a length of steel with holes equally spaced for the pivot pressure post, that is the easy part to whip up in the shop for most here.

Any suggestions or photos would be appreciated?

I have picked up HF 5 speed wood lathe currently on sale Item#65345, a very nicely done machine for the money. So far the only complaint I have is what I got out of the box, doesn't match the spec's on the item's web site. They claim the spindle size is ¾"16 TPI  Mine is 1"8TPI and in the reviews somebody else mentioned it. Also the head and tail stock tapers are different than the spec's. Mine are MT2 according to the sizes listed in the Machinery's hand book. Instead of the two different sizes listed in the spec's.

I am glad that I didn't order the drill chuck and chuck set from the spec's as I would be sending them back at the inflated shipping charges everybody seems to be adding the fuel surcharges. Even though the Post office claims they aren't adding a surcharge!  ::)

And for general information, the HF item#65345 appears to be the same lathe as the Turncraft Pro, And the Jet

5 speed lathe
Currently on sale $194.99 (3/25/2011)  With the 20% coupon it was $155.99 plus tax out the door.

With only minor differences, and features, as number of speeds,length of stock between centers and the infinite variable speed.
pen making supplies/lathes

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:32:07 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: metal spinning tail stock device for holding disc?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
Sorry Glen... I don't have an answer for you... check your PMs though.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Jasonb

Re: metal spinning tail stock device for holding disc?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
The couple of times that I have done it I just used a thickish disc of hard plastic about 3/4" dia x 1/2" thick drilled with a large centre drill. The usual live centre locates into the drilled hole and the disc applies pressure to the metal without marking it.

Jason