Author Topic: Photo resizing using - Faststone photo resizer  (Read 87408 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Photo resizing using - Faststone photo resizer
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
Using  Faststone photo resizer :

This is to help save valuable storage space on Madmodder!

This is a program used on Madmodder by a few of us.... It's simple and quick to set up and will make all your pictures more pleasant for

others to upload and view (will help them fit on smaller screens and easier for slower connections too).

This program not only allows you to shrink your photo's size. It allows you to add text and watermarks to your pic's to stop them being

used elsewhere without others knowing they are yours.

Well, on with the post.... the free programme can be downloaded here...          http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

You need to set the program up :

Select advanced options and select the "resize" tab from the tabs at the top of the window. Set the size you want your pic's. Click the

"pick a standard size" button and select your size from the drop down menu. Most choose 600x800. Make sure you tick/check the little box

in the top left corner with "resize" next to it!

Now, if you want to add text and or a water mark then you must select the "text"  or "Watermark"  tabs at the the top of the advanced options screen.

Text :   Write your text. Change font size, and opacity. Make sure you tick/check the box in the top left.

Watermark :         (I had to specially use this program to shrink my picture till I got my desired size)

Select the origin file of your picture using the box to the right of the words "watermark image"
Select the desired position of the mark. and then the opacity and anything else you would like from this screen.... Make sure you tick/check the box in the top left.

Once you have finished editing the advanced options make sure you click the  "OK" box bottom right.

Adding the pic's you want to resize

You can select the pictures you want to re-size from your computer hard drive using the left hand menu boxes.. select the pic's you want and then click "Add"

Select the "output folder" click browse and find the place you want them top appear..... I made a new folder in my  "my documents" folder and called it "Resized" I find it easy to find (I even made sub-folders within the resized folder... But that's just me)

Make sure you have :

The correct output folder (and have ticked/checked the box) And correct output type?  (Jpeg for me.)  and ticked/checked the "Use advanced options...."   and   "ask before overwrite"  boxes too... And any others you think you might like?

Now you are ready to make your resized, watermarked images :

They are already in the top right menu box above so click the "convert" button and watch as the file size and picture size are reduced by loads and the watermark(s) are added......

They then end up (in my case) in your resized file....

I use this resized file to hold the pic's ready for upload to my photobucket account ( http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=607.0 ) and then once they are there I delete from this file (making sure I never touch the originals in my  "my pictures" file.) Then as in the post linked to here I add them to Madmodder and don't fill the site with huge picture files  :beer:  

The beauty of this program.... You never have to play with the settings again unless you want to! as long as you "ok'd" them all then they are saved in the program!!!   :)

If you ever want to just plain resize and not add water marks then simply enter "advanced options" and un-tick/check the boxes in the top left corners of the selected tabs.... then select the "OK" button.  Carry out your non-marked re-sizing and then re-select them later.... They are still saved!!

As always, any questions, just ask.

Well, that's it for pic's etc for tonight... Edited at silly o'clock and I'm tired! any mistakes feel free to let me know  :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Photo resizing using - Faststone photo resizer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:59 AM »
This is good, I belived that many needed this information.  :thumbup:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:25:57 AM »
Most helpful, Ralph. Up to now, I have either been using the resizing facility within Photobucket, which I find cumbersome, or doing it in MS Paint before uploading to P'bucket, but the ability to resize batches of photos will be a boon.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »
Downloaded it. Gonna give it a try on my newer computer.

At present I'm doing all the picture editing on the old computer and then transfering them on to the new one. Pain in Butt. :bang:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »
Glad you guys like it  :) 

Worth the hours  :thumbup:

You will not regret this program. It makes all resizing stunningly easier once you have it set up  :borg:

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
The HP printer I got for the older computer came with software that allowed resizing. I ofter wondered why some people's photo's were always so big. I guess not all eqipment comes with good picture editing software.

I should see what my wifes digital 35mm camera came with. I'm looking into the video end of things now. My old Kodak digital used some weird software that wasn't reconized by the major video editing software that comes on the computer.

Bernd

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Just found this thread, Have downloaded the resizer and am now making some watermarks. For those who have already set this up, what size did you use for the watermark images?

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline allanchrister

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »
 I'm sure its great and I know that I have been guilty lately at posting too large pics.

Unfortunately, this is a Windows program, and I use a Mac......

I'll look for something similar for my machine, and I'll be very surprised if it is not provided in the utilities folder somewhere...

Allan

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:14 AM »
Chuck,

It is a 'play with' program. You won't do any harm while finding what you really want.

Once you get the watermark just so, leave it alone, and only turn it on/off when you want to use it.

I find the rename and shrink bit the best, plus coupled with the watermark as well, you can convert your pictures in a matter of seconds. Drop your pics into a permanent folder that the program always goes to, set it up to save in a finished folder, select the pics you want to change, press the button and it will do hundreds of conversions in seconds, web ready, without touching the originals.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
You're spot on, John. I played with it a bit, used a text art website to make a couple of watermarks.

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
Another image hoster that's free and is also very easy to resize is imageshack.us.

http://imageshack.us/

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
bry1975,

It might be good and free,
but here in Southern Africa we don't see the images.

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
To further this along, another question. I'm scanning drawings out of Hall book for the grinding table I'm going to make. The book is a small format, and the pic's come out small. I have been manually enlarging them one at a time with MS Office Picture Manager and MS Paint to get them to 8 1/2" x 11" size for printing. Anyone know of a quicker way to do it using Faststone photo resizer?

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
Try scanning to the highest resolution setting that the software of the scanner will allow if possible. Then play with the resizer for page size. Might work. :smart:

Bernd

Offline doubletop

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:45:26 AM »
I wondered how people did that. I couldn't see Bogs effin about with photoshop adding Wallace and Grommit to 80 odd pics, and that's just for one posting.

Now; how do I retrospectively mod all my pics on Photobucket without changing the picture filename?

Pete

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:34 AM »
I think you might be in trouble trying to do that Pete.

If I was you, I would just start from all your new piccies, in fact, that is what I did when I first started using the program many moons ago, as it would have meant me modifying well over 3,000 pictures in bucket.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline doubletop

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 06:01:47 AM »
Actually I've just worked out how to add the watermark to existing pics on photobucket. Doing it this way replaces the files with watermarked files with the same names. Its a bit mandraulic but worked and ensured the links in posts remained intact.

In photobucket select download album and save the zip file on your pc in a new folder (named after the album, but it doesn't matter) Make sure you've got them all in the zip file.

Unzip the zip file and use FastStone to add the watermark allowing it it overwrite the files you've just downloaded. The files will be replaced with watermarked versions with the same file name. (use 1024 x768 as the conversion size as that's what photobucket had converted them to

Go back to your album in photobucket, at the bottom of the screen do select all, delete. If you have more than one page (24 photos) you'll have to do this a number of times to delete them all. If you don't delete them all the new upload will get the images re-named and then won't be the photos referenced by your posting links.

then select upload images and copy the files you've just converted back to photobucket.

Done.

It took me less than 5 mins to watermark all the pics in my posting here

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4945.0

Pete

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:41:47 AM by doubletop »

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »
Nice one Pete.

I will get mine done sometime, unfortunately as most of mine are already watermarked, it would be a matter of me sorting out the non done ones, that is of course unless someone knows an easier way.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline doubletop

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 06:55:55 AM »
I suggest just try doing them all regardless. If they've not got a watermark they'll get one, if they've already got one it will get overwritten. Which may be something for saving them as 1024 wide as then the water mark image should remain the correct size. But just try it first before the delete overwite bit, there is a chance that the remnants of the old watermark may remain.

Pete

(John see PM)

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Hi Ralph,
I am relatively new to all this and is there an idiot proof way to resize/post photos from a Mac?
Thanks Paul

Offline Pete49

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 10:29:36 PM »
buy a pc??? :D  I think there are programs for the mac that would be available, maybe try a mac forum as this must surely come up in many forums that involves pictures. sorry other than that can't help.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »
Hi Paul,

Sorry but I have absolutely no clue about Mac machines. Never even used one.

Swift goggle search ....  http://www.nchsoftware.com/imageconverter/index.html?gclid=CNqumPu5proCFS_KtAodDSgALQ

Other than that Pete's suggestion of a mac based forum might help?

Ralph.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
Paul, I posted this elsewhere, but mtpaint is free and available for Mac, Linux, and Win.

I use it constantly to resize pics, or adjust contrast, etc. it's very simple and very compact. I use it on Linux, but I imagine it's the same on a Mac.

http://mtpaint.softpedia.com/

To resize a picture you've opened in MTPaint, click on Image at the top of the screen. Then click on Scale Canvas

Fill in the new size you want -- generally 640 wide (or 800 wide) for this forum (and don't bother with the height. It will take care of itself.)

Hit Okay, and it's done. Extremely simple.

Then save the new size picture somewhere on your hard drive, and close MTpaint.

For posting it in a message on the forum, just open a new message, and below where you write stuff you'll see in blue Attachments and other options -- Click that.

Click on Attach: Browse;

Your computers directories will be shown, and you should use that to find your picture file.

When you've found it, click Open and that's all you need to do.

Then finish your message and post it.

If you want to load more than one picture, after you have selected the first one via the Attach:Browse button, you will see the words "(more attachments)" in blue under it. Click on that and another "Browse" button will appear for adding a second picture.

Keep doing that until you've added all the pictures you want. Then finish your message and post it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:52:52 PM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
Thanks Vtstream.
I have being trying to construct an app that I got instructions from a Mac forum, but no luck.
either I have a problem with software or more likely I am doing something wrong.
I will try your suggestion.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
I've been using Photobucket to resize and host. Is that acceptable? I don't want to cause any problems or make the forum gods mad:) Thanks for all info, this is a great group!