Author Topic: Skype  (Read 94832 times)

bogstandard

Re: Skype
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
Hi Roger,

There are two ways to trace contacts, the first being with their skype name, the second being their email address.

I just traced you by seeing you have email enabled, clicked to send you an email and got your address from that.

In about 1 minute I had you in my contact list, and have sent you a message for when you come back online with skype.

Skype name - bandit175 (all lower case and all one word)

Bogs

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »
I use Skype a lot for work, so my handle is rather boring, stefan.pynappels

bogstandard

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
I am just trying to resurrect the Skype contact scheme, and bring it to new members attention.

It really is a great way to get to know people, and also to solve a technical issue where you might be embarrassed to display it on the site, or can't describe it in text. One to one is usually a better way than trying to understand it in a posting.

It seems that after the initial flurry, it is dying a slow death, and people can't be bothered and very rarely have it switched on.

I have also noticed that a lot of people have their computers and Skype on permanently. There is a setting in Skype that detects if you are using your comp or not. Go to tools, then general settings, it would be a good idea if you could set that up so that after say non use for for 5 or 10 mins, it shows that you are away. When I am up and about late at night, and see that my Skype contacts are online, I don't know whether to call or not, as I might wake someone up from their beauty sleep.

I have a problem in the early hours, when I am up and about a lot, to stop my wife being disturbed by the ringtone, my computer speakers are turned off, and I can't hear the ringtone if I am in the other room. So if you want to call, just send a text, and if I am available I will usually call you straight back. It might show that I am away, but it is worth trying.

So lets get the people on here talking again, it costs you nothing other than a bit of cheap equipment (if you read this topic from the start, it descibes what is needed), and if you don't mind talking to an overweight lathe jockey, with no teeth, and a fag and coffee permanently on the go, get calling.

Bogs

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Hi Troops

Having:

(1) Found out that Skype is not some awful Medieval Disease, probably around the groin region .. and

(2) Having purchased a webcam/mike for the vast sum of £4.99p ...

I am now on SKYPE as bchip_s7

So now what ?

All tarted up, and no-where to go ...  :(     again ....

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline DABIRDGUY

• glennsplace.com
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
I am dabirdguy on Skype (and most other internet places like the HAMB and allmetalshaping.com.

Feel free to give me a call if you would like to be asked a lot of dumb questions...LOL

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
Hi all

My skype contact is dave.sohlstrom

Give me a call any time you see me online. I may have answers to questions but they may be dumb ones.

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »
It was nice to have a chat Dave.

I was a shame you didn't have my address when you dropped into Manchester a few weeks ago, you could have called in for a coffee.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Yes John good meeting and talking with you. Love this Skype. Talking half way around the world for free, can't bet that.

Dave

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 06:39:44 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble logging into Skype?

I had it drop out for a few hours the other day, then this evening, it dropped out again and haven't been able to log in since.

I am wondering if it is being overloaded because of the time of year.

Bogs  AKA bandit175

Skype - bandit175

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
John...I am having problems also...

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
yep same problems hear droping out all the time

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:44:39 PM by bogstandard »

Skype - bandit175

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
yep a bit on the bbc site as well   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12064394  there saying it's continuing I had to use it a 4.30 am this morning and as soon as I loged in it updated again,took ages and I was in a rush to go to bed.very poor audio when I got loged in.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline dickda1

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
Just have to note, having been a Skype user for a number of years that I wonder how long Microsoft will take to kill this wonderful app. :(
-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
Dick

I too have been using Skype for a number of years and really like it. If MS kills it then they will be throughing 8.5 Billion out the window. My guess is that free will go away and we will have to pay to talk.

Dave

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
I kind of skimmed the thread, so I don't know if this has been covered yet.  I don't need to look at most of the people I chat with, but I do like to look at their projects.  I will show what I'm working on to people and they can ask me questions about it.  This of course works both ways.  It has helped to solve many problems.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I like seeing the people; it adds another dimension to the links between like-minded lunatics.

I use the messaging feature extensively and have long chats with people, sometimes extending over several days. It is more convenient than e-mail and the occasional quick voice call is a bonus.

I would be happy to link up with any of you blokes.

Jim

Offline Pete49

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
Was a long term user until my younger Brother passed away as we always kept in contact. Still have it to make long distance & international calls as its way cheaper than landline charges and if my friends have webcams even better :wave:
I'l try to remember to fire it up when online and see what happens.
Skype name blue_hills picked as it matches the colours the Flinders Ranges go through during the day & evening though getting hard to see with the buildings now getting in the way.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline ukazak

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »

hi and all respect  :) :) :)
You guys can chat all you want using Skype,  :beer:  but I think you get yourselves in a big time of trouble,…    :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

because guys like me,   :D :D :D “the newbie’s” will have the great opportunity,  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: just aim the camera over the machine and call any of you online ask “what are we doing wrong?”  :poke:  :palm: or “how to use a parting tool” etc. Nice,  :nrocks: really!  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Or maybe you will want to see real time to diagnose the problem,  :coffee: or better yet show “how to do it”… as long as you are available,  :proj: we will keep bothering you.

kind regards,

Unal  :D :D :D

Offline rschilp

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
great idea; rob_schilperoort is my skype id, any classic car questions?

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
You find me under the username - roughedge.se - . =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline terrywerm

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:10 AM »
I can be found on Skype with the username terrywerm

I am new to Skype, but have been thinking about giving it a try for some time, finally got it all set up. It's a bit different on Windows 8, but I'll get it figured out sooner or later.
Terry

Making chips with old machines

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
I get Skype SPAM on a regular basis, so if you ever want to chat to me, please PM me and I will happily give you my Skype ID.  I'd just rather not post it in an open chat...