Author Topic: Auctions  (Read 19654 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Auctions
« on: November 28, 2008, 02:15:50 PM »
I've been looking at various types of saws lately, ummin' and r'in of the types an prices available....

My missus suggested I got myself over to the local Farmers Auctions as it was a tool sale day today. OK, it could be a day out I thought, but what do farmers ever give away.
Nothing but rubbish just spun around in my head....

Wrong...!! I came away with a horizontal band saw, a Donkey type saw, a huge old solid cast iron floor standing pillar drill and a few other items....I even had to buy a trailer just to get it all home.

I can't poss tell you how much they went for, it would be embarrassing. The real surprise is....they all work !!!

So much left behind, the scrap man took a whole wagon load. Some of it was nice stuff as well, so sad to see that..... :(
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Auctions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
 :worthless:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »
Wes ...........   :thumbup: .................. you almost took the words out of my mouth  :bow:

CC

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
 :worthless:

NO PICS, IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!

All TOOL GLOATS must be accompanied by photographic evidence to be considered.  It's in the Constitution somewhere.
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
It's tooooo dark 'ere to take any pic's, bedtime by 4pm at this time of year and I didn't leave till 5.30....

There were 3 simultaneous auctioneers doing the biz and it lasted from 10am till 4pm with no breaks...ok a lot of it was farmers do da's, etc etc

I'm out all day tomorrow, but I'll see what I can do Sunday......

BTW, the pillar drill didn't come home with me, some chap begged me for it and I already have 3 as it is so didn't need another really.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »

A small update with a some pic's of the two saws I bought at auction the other day. The blade was of course totally shot so I tried a normal type. Took the teeth right off almost straight away. but that's cheap market blades for you. Prob just carbon blades as they don't have the type printed on them.

And the other side

This is the Warco Bandsaw, It looks very grubby but it's not as bad as the pictures would have you believe. It works perfectly. I have taken the blade off to measure it and now have some on the way.

Couple of things need doing, one rear leg needs fixing back on and the off switch bar needs replacing. Nothing difficult at all.
The motor looks to have been changed and the belt cover is missing.

And of course these double up as a vertical bandsaw as well. Need to make a plate for this. Again not beyond the scope of this mere mortal.

I also bought the pallet trolley and car trailer you see in the background at the same time. Both will come in very handy as we are renovating our house at the moment. So please excuse the background mess.
Why did I buy both saws? Well as I said previously there were three auctioneers going at the same time. I really wanted to go home with at least one saw, so I left Helen, my good lady, to  bid on one whilst I bid on the other. I ended up with both !!!

But that's not a bad thing...... :)

Darren

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
I have the red version of the Warco. The stand it is on is cheap and flimsy and too low to the ground. I bought a 3 shelf cart and flipped the top shelf and mounted it to that. I also removed the front set of the rolling casters and put a block in place. Made the saw much higher and more stable. I can take pictures of it if you like.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:25:33 AM »
Hi Eric, yes please do post some pic's. A little inspiration is never a bad thing  :wave:

I once bought one of these new to build my kit car. I seem to remember that the stand was a bit flimsy.

Darren

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
I will get those tonight or tomorrow.

What kind of kit are you going to build? You will be posting your progress here?  :headbang:

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »
I think you miss-understood me Eric, I built the car almost 10 years ago.. :thumbup:

I'm not about to undertake another, as much as I'd like to.....too much else on at the mo... :whip:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
Looking for blade info I found this...now that looks like a small, neat and very handy tool.
I have a cut-off saw with a fiber blade....I wonder..could it make the other saws obsolete ???

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uMAlHzqfyKg

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
I think you miss-understood me Eric, I built the car almost 10 years ago.. :thumbup:

I'm not about to undertake another, as much as I'd like to.....too much else on at the mo... :whip:

Doh  :wack:

I read that wrong.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »
Looking for blade info I found this...now that looks like a small, neat and very handy tool.

Darren,
Ralph had a thread going a little while back, these saws (or a variant of) were on offer at "ALDI" of all places for a little under £90 ........... and as of last week our local ALDI still had one on the shelf  ::)

Thread
Saw

hth

CC

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »
Darren

Is that saw for real? That could make half the machines in a shop obsolete. Don't know how much they cost but I bet they will be a hot seller if they are what they apear to be.

Cheers

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »
Thanks for the info CC, didn't see that thread.

I had no idea these saw blades existed. I have the same thing but with a fiber disk, horrible and messy to use, but those TCT blades cost almost as much as Ralph paid for his saw !!
But, I'm wondering if the band saw etc could be sold off to pay for one. Would take up much less room to boot

Ralph,
how are you getting on with that monster saw !!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 03:26:11 AM »
Darren

Is that saw for real? That could make half the machines in a shop obsolete. Don't know how much they cost but I bet they will be a hot seller if they are what they apear to be.

Cheers

Don

Apparently Don they are, and yes think of the room saved with one of these !

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 08:57:03 PM »
Ralph, how are you getting on with that monster saw !!

Well.... It cut the bar that the punch for my Aeolipile is made from, the 55mm hardened steel bar from an industrial rock crusher.... is used a peck cutting action, went through it in about 30/40 seconds.... Took me 35min's by hand!!! (I need to stop to get my breath back!)  Also cut through the garage door weight that ruined our form tool on sunday... 60mm of varying hardness unidentified steel.... I've cut 3 pieces of that weight off (ball turner base, ring collar for my punch and the half finished die for my press)

I don't know about replacing a band saw or power hacksaw though... It does not have the fine adjustment you get with those. Just my thoughts... I have neither of those.

My saw is not the model shown in the video either, mine is the fury2. Not the Rage2 it has a bit less rigidity in the clamping parts and a slightly lesser motor wattage.... Still does the job though, I may make some adjustments to it in the future? I'll see what happens when I come to need to make changes!?
Mine - http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/fury2_spec.html
The one in the video - http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/rage2_spec.html

It pretty much does what is shown in the vid' just that that one has a slightly more powerfull motor? It seems a little meatier than mine too? They do make quite a range of products. They make a smaller one too.... http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/uk/evolution_rage4.html

I use the circular hand saw at work too.... That is damn good for adjusting steel garage door pannels and steel frames.... You should see some of the things we have to do to get those doors in the right place!!  :bugeye:

Basically I suppose I'm saying it works well   :thumbup:

Haven't even thought about a new blade yet!  :)

Well hope that's enough?? I think I should be on commision!!?

Got to sleep now... I have to stop checking in at silly o'closk.... It just leads me to posting something!!!  ::)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 05:39:44 AM »
Some thing like this Ralph, at work I mean

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rCo197leFmc

I seem to remember seeing something in B&Q ages ago along these lines. Thinking they were the usual useless gimmicks I totally dismissed them at the time..nothing worse than spending good cash on poor tools.
That may have been a mistake....

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »
Don't forget these are carbide tipped blades so they can be sharpened, my woodworking saw blades cost about 10p a tip for sharpening.

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »
I love looking at demos like that. If your observent enough you'll notice that the steel they are cutting is nothing more than thin wall tubing and very thin sheet metal. I've done this with an ordinary Bosch saw with a carbide blade. What they don't show is the saw cutting 1/4" or thicker steel plate.

I discovered that I can cut 1/2" thick aluminum on my table saw. I've also cut 2" thick bronze using a carbide blade. I just cover the piece with a piece of wood to keep the chips from flying and use a carbide blade.

Here's how I cut 1/2" thick aluminum. Notice the piece of wood above the aluminum, it keeps me from getting sprayed with the cut chips.

I know I took a pic of cutting the bronze, I just can't find it right now, maybe later.
If you take it slow and easy you can cut just about anything with a carbide or diamond blade and you don't need a special built saw. They are nothing more than a motor with an arbor to attach cutting equipment to.

Regards,
Bernd

Found those pics. Also remember now I wore a face sheild when I did this one. It was to small to put cover with a piece of wood.

And there's the piece cut off. It is the cylinder to the wobbler engine I built.

Might as well add the rest while I found them.

And if your interest has been piqued then here's the website the build is on:http://www.kingstonemodeleng.com/EngineShop/Wobbler/wobbler.htm

Sorry about the  :offtopic: thread jack.  :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:43:42 AM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 02:19:15 PM »

Sorry about the  :offtopic: thread jack.  :D

Wot hijack? Follows nicely Bernd, thanks for the piccies. Don't ya just love piccies...... :headbang:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:20:41 PM by Darren »

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
I must sort out a way off cutting stock up, the problem is 99% of the time I only use small stuff, but on the odd ocathion I would kill for something that cuts bigger stuff, like the last project it was all cut by hand (or hand saw).

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

bogstandard

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
That will sure keep you fit, and looking like Arnie.

If you want even more pain, put the blade in the wrong way round.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Hey Peter,

That second pic of yours. Table saw would make short work of that. In alunimum you also need a more agreesive blade than you'd find in a hack saw.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »

Don'y ya just love piccies...... :headbang:

Ya, I do.  :thumbup: Saves a lot of typing sometimes. :)

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
Sure does Bernd,

Peter,
The reason I started this thread was to encourage other peeps to use their local resources when looking for tools, as well as many other things.

The tools I got from auction were genuine bargains. There were many other tools that I didn't go after. In hindsight I wish I had but there you go.
I don't want to talk about specific amount's, but to give you an idea it cost more to put a cheap blade on that bandsaw then the saw itself cost.

That should give you some idea of what can be achieved if you look in the right places.

Best regards
Darren

PS, your work is awesome, please keep the pic's coming if you have more to show. Love the mill.....