Author Topic: How much do your tools weigh?  (Read 4059 times)

tumutbound

How much do your tools weigh?
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
I'm in the process of moving house and decided (for reasons I can't quite remember ) to buy a large van to do the move.
Not taking any of the furniture as it's all pretty old (not antique old, just old) so the majority of the weight will be the various tools - lathe, mill and all the bits that go with them.
So far, I've only weighed some of the stuff but at 5 to 10Kgs a piece, it starts to add up.
Given I only have a small lathe (Sieg C6) and mill (sieg X2), the total is already over 600Kgs.

Has anyone else been through a move of all their tools? Did you do it your self or get a professional to do it?

FWIW, I bought a Mercedes Sprinter 316CDI LWB
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:25:28 AM by tumutbound »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: How much do your tools weigh?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:20:59 AM »
We recently moved to a new house and like you we left most of our old furniture behind.  We got professional movers to handle the household stuff, crockery, clothes, personal posessions and a bit of furniture that we did keep.  Even then that was a suprising amount.

We had a 20' shipping container which was about 20% full with our Lego collection and the rest was filled with workshop equipment, a couple of motor cycles, materials and general 'treasure'.  I have a good trailer and decided for peace of mind to take my lathe on that.

I weighed the container and found it weighed 8.2 tons! :bugeye:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

tumutbound

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:47:56 AM »
Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much !
It was a toss up between a removalist (expensive!) or doing it myself (foolhardy!). If nothing else, I got to buy a new van  :D

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:57:17 AM »
Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much !
It was a toss up between a removalist (expensive!) or doing it myself (foolhardy!). If nothing else, I got to buy a new van  :D

I know we moved a lot of 'stuff' that probably was not worth the effort but on the other hand it is very expensive moving into a brand new house where I have to buy every little thing I might need.  Right now I am trying to find some fire bricks for my welding/brazing hearth and it looks like I will have to buy new, of course I left about 20 behind at the old place. 

We were in one house for over 30 years and although I got over a thousand dollars from what I took to the scrap man, plus I paid a lot in land-fill fees, and all the stuff we moved I still left a lot of stuff like building materials that the new owner thought he might make use of.  It is really amazing what you can collect if you stay in one place for a while!

I bought the container about ten years ago and I am glad I did or moving would have been a nightmare, as it was I just packed stuff in and I got the house and garages empty just before the container was full.  It was no hassel getting the railways to take it to the new place and drop it in over the back fence, where it still is.

Thats what we did anyways.
From the den of The Artful Bodger